Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now im using a 2/3rd helmet with a flip down clear shield. Im curious what others are wearing. Do you use diffrent helmets at diffrent times?
-Greengoose

·
Registered
6 Posts
Which Helmet? Environment Dependent / Climate

In central Arizona with temperature ranging from 40 to 116F, I want good protection of head and eyes, vented, sun visor, flip-up face shield, option of tinted face shield, quick-release chin latch, safety agency approved, at a reasonable price.

I have a 2003 Nolan N41 Classis with the above features.

I'm advised that ARAI are JD Powers highest rated by customer feedback.

Internet is the place to find most information, most variety and the best price.

Don't save money on SAFETY. Get the best VALUE (not found at the cycle dealer showroom). The decision is yours. Ask ... what do you value most? Saving money or protecting your brain?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Right now, just a 1/2 helmet. It is very hot in South Carolina. Because of the windshield being as short as it is (my only complaint for a great bike), I have been putting in soft ear plugs to cover the wind noise. That is probably considered illegal, but no worse then my full face helmet on the Goldwing with the stereo blasting. I am looking forward to wearing the full face this winter. The Burgman is my wife's, but I can't resist riding it all the time. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wear a Shuberth full face helmet. It has a flip up chin guard, full face shield, and a built in flip down sun visor when needed. Very well ventilated, and designed to go through the wind with very little stress on the head and neck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is this thread 650-specific?

I ride a 400, but I'll participate anyway. :mrgreen:

I have a full-faced HJC CL-14. It is blue and mostly matches my blue Burgman. I purchased a "light smoke" shield, but I am concerned that the shield might not have UV protection (the packaging makes no mention of UV protection). A tinted shield with no UV protection actually exposes your eyes to more UV rays than a clear shield. Why's this? Well, when you use a tinted shield, your pupils dilate due to the reduced amount of visible light. When your eyes dilate, they let in more UV rays, which are not being filtered by your shield. If you had no shield, or a clear one, your pupils would be constricted, letting in less UV rays. That's why 100% UV protection is absolutely essential for any face shield or sunglasses if you value your eyesight.

Earplugs are also essential, even with a full-faced helmet and windshield. Wind-blast DB levels are incredibly high. I wear earplugs most every ride. Long-term hearing loss is pretty much a given for most motorcyclists, but you can avoid this if you wear ear plugs every time you ride.

Art, is that quick-release built into your chin-strap? I knew a guy whose aftermarket quick-release chinstrap failed, and he got seriously injured in an accident. He swore never to use a quick-release chinstrap again.
[/i]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Helmet Quick-release Chinstrap by NOLAN of Italy

To: DAVEMAN

NOLAN uses an unusal design for a chin strap with a ratchet and lever. It is positive acting and very adjustable. The design looks STRONG to me. You'll have to examine a NOLAN to understand its design.

The "other guy" you refer to might be Mr. Archer. I don't know the manufacturer of his helmet or the design of the "quick-release" on his helmet. So I can't compare designs.

My observation of Mr. Archer's accident / helmet issue ... Mr. Archer admitted he had knowledge of what actions were necessary for SAFE riding. He also said he knowingly violated many of those safety recommendations. He did not wear protective clothing and I'd guess that he did not have his helmet strap adjusted SNUG. "I think" that he was even wearing loafers without socks ... indicating that he may have been thinking (hazardously) ... "I'm only going a short distance, why do I need to take the time to go through all these SAFETY precautions."

The very WORST ENEMY of folks who boast of "doing something for many years" is ... they get over confident. They (we) think we know better than all the safety data from insurance companies, from motorcycle safety institutes, etc. This catagory of rider may give very dangerous advice to new riders.

This can be DEADLY!

The rider's and his passenger's SAFETY needs to be the PRIMARY concern on EVERY RIDE.

The EGO has no place in the SAFE RIDING formula. It can KILL.

Again, its YOUR CHOICE.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the 3/4 Shoei with the pulldown smoke color face shield. It's red to match the color of my old Goldwing. I guess I will have to get it painted blue for the Burgy. I go nowhere without a helmet. If you have never driven in Mesa we have a large number of older folks still driving when clearly they shouldn't. I have been a victim twice, both times runing right into the rear end of the motorcycle at a stoplight. NEVER NEVER ride without aleast a helmet..

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ordered an HJC AC-3 Silver 3/4 helmet. It can have a visor just like on a full face. So I ordered a clear and smoke face shield for it. Its on backorder for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use a Arai Corsair (Silver like the Burgie). I got it when we were at the Hoot this year and I had it fitted which make all the difference in the world.

I did have a Arai Quantum/f which was nice but the Corsair is lighter and gives much better air flow.

BurgLady

·
Registered
2 Posts
Scooter Helmet

I started with a full-face Shoei (from a previous bike), but once I got the Burgman and the Givi windscreen I decided on a HJC 3/4 with visor. In Missouri as the temps drop I anticipate switching back to the full-face with sunglasses under a clear sheild.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Helmets

I just bought an HJC CL-14 full face helmet for the cooler weather. It was getting to be time to replace my Shoei full face - and the HJC fits me better and was a lot less expensive.

I use a 3/4 helmet with flip down face shield (Harley brand) in the hot weather - much better air circulation.

Paul

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Helmets

I bought the same helmet with my Burgman. It's pretty decent, though the shield fogs and it doesn't seem very well ventilated, despite the five adjustable vents. Comfy, though.

Hey gooseman, how come this is in the 650 forum? Think you could you move it to the the more appropriate general or safety forum?

pauljo said:
I just bought an HJC CL-14 full face helmet

·
Registered
4 Posts
Helmets

I have several helmets, but my favorite is the HJC AC-3 with flip shield. It seems to be a very good value to me. I have both light and dark colors, use them according to outside temps. The dark smoke shields however, really produce glare in certain sun conditions. I wish HJC would provide a good UV proof shield. The washable and replaceable interior pads are a plus in this helmet.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yellowwing,
I have the same helmet and shield combo on back order. Im glad to hear other positive feedback. Cant wait to get mine.
-Bryan

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have three helmets. A HJC Symax with headsets from my Venture. When I put in the audio system over the Winter, I'll use this helmet. Now I will use my blue/green HJC AC10 for the Burgman. I use the yellow HJC AC10 for my Bandit.

Eddie

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have an Arai RX7RR4 and Suomy Gunwind. These where my helmets for my sportbike.

Both helmets are very comfortable and have a lot of ventilation, but they are also incredibly noisy and defeaning. The helmet designs are flashy and more suitable for Sportbike use. Between the noise and the flashy designs I have ordered a new plain silver SHOEI RF1000 which I hear is a quiet helmet - just what I need.

·
Registered
100 Posts
helmet

i wear a full face kbc tk-8. white. i used to wear the 3/4 with a shield. then a fellow i know went down hard while wearing the same style helmet. after seeing him, iwent and got a full face helmet. i wear awhite one because i had a friend tell me, " that white helmet really stands out in traffic".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts