Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to confuse the 650 tranny? Rolling to a stop I accidentally cut power via the kill switch. On restart I heard a clak clak rumble and it felt like the bike wanted to go forward but it died similar to letting a car clutch out to quick. The “check” indicator came on. On restart there was another little rumble but the engine fired up, check indicator off. Traffic light went green and I pulled off driving slowly not applying to much power. I made it home. Then restart/kill a couple of times and all seems well. Check indicator stayed off. So clearly the belt is ok, it changed gears on my way home. I am a little scared to test it properly by giving it lots of throttle. I think by activating the kill switch while rolling to a stop and tranny maybe still in 2 or 3, and then restarting, the tranny wanted then to go back to 1st and perhaps the belt was slack as well. It is a 2017 650 with 25000 miles on. Any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
i suggest don't do that again, if nothing is flagged and it responded normally on the drive home, take it out to a low/no traffic area and run it thru it's paces. Then when no failures flag, go home and have a refreshing beverage or 6.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Not so much the "tranny" (really a CVT but I digress) but possibly the computer that controls it. Computer may have been confused enough to leave the CVT pulleys in a high gear ratio, similar to putting a geared transmission into 6th gear, and the resulting effect would be the engine being unable to pull away from a stop like that and stalled. After the second restart things reset enough for the computer to properly set the CVT. Agree with Mikey.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Surely it is then a flaw and the drivers manual does not warn against accidentally pressing the kill switch.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I don't think a flaw as much as a fluke occurrence. If no symptoms return then you should be fine. Just like when you do let out the clutch too fast with a manual transmission and kill the engine. Just restart and move on.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Is it possible that the CVT actuator motor cycles when you turn the ignition on, like the fuel pump and throttle valve? If so, may have caught it mid-cycle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well nothing wrong, nothing broken, Burgman drives as it always has. Have I mention the thick leather gloves was the reason why I accidentally activated the kill switch. Thanks for the inputs.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Ah yes, thick winter gloves.
Haven't had kill-switch issues on either Burgman from bulky gloves, but I do end up inadvertently beeping the horn on my Husqvarna MC while trying to work the turn signals. Fortunately, it has the same sort of inoffensive horn that I expect as stock from most motorcycle makers...

"um. excuse me. er... meep? sorry."

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The other day whilst driving I again accidentally pushed the kill switch but this time because I was not slowing down to stop, nothing funny happened, the engine just came back to life and as I say all was well except for a little backfire. I think the event (don't want to say problem) will only happen when you are coasting down and the belt is reacting to input from the computer and is busy moving to its 1st gear and the throttle is closed already. At that point, it is perhaps not good to kill the electrics and leave the belt in limbo.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I think the ECU isn't the fastest on the block and easily gets confused ... when I'm coming up to a stop slowing down 20-30kph and than the lights change and I give a bit of stick it gets it's nickers in a knot more so with the later models with minimal engine braking and it coasts in hi ratio and than suddenly gets a open throttle signal it takes time for it to sort itself out :) ...

Greg

Reactions: Kobus

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Part of that slight hesitation when suddenly applying throttle is the normal MO of a CVT. Had the very same reaction in my Nissan Murano (also a CVT and not a geared automatic).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah it is that slight hesitation that rjs987 refers to that got me confused when first I rode my 2017 650. Now I have had plenty problems with previous bikes and cars that struggled with flat spots especially after messing with the jetting on the carbs or changing the breathing apparatus. So driving the Burgie in constant speed (50 or 60) and accelerating, my mind said oh no not another one with a flat spot. But I have since learned that it is just a characteristic of the 650.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts