Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,
Last year I found a barn find 2003 Burgman 650. It had 2100 miles on it...plus new liquids and new tires. The owner also had 2 Ferrari's in the same garage so you can imagine the Burgie never suffered during storage. One can encounter these type of barns in the Lake Tahoe/Truckee area of northern California. The owner had periodically started the engine and taken it for warm-up rides.

I view this ride as a "throwaway". It now has 3500 miles on it and I shall ride it until it falters or fails. Then it is EBay for parts or the scrapyard. I will maintain all fluids religiously.

What are the odds I will reach 25,000 miles on the Burgie before it coughs it's last. Minor tweaks or repairs will be done but nothing over $200.00...or so.

I am interested in your opinions regarding the mileage I should achieve before permanent end-of-run shut-down. Please give me your mileage reckoning if you please.

kindest Regards.....Slots
Reno, NV

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Friends,
Last year I found a barn find 2003 Burgman 650. It had 2100 miles on it...plus new liquids and new tires. The owner also had 2 Ferrari's in the same garage so you can imagine the Burgie never suffered during storage. One can encounter these type of barns in the Lake Tahoe/Truckee area of northern California. The owner had periodically started the engine and taken it for warm-up rides.

I view this ride as a "throwaway". It now has 3500 miles on it and I shall ride it until it falters or fails. Then it is EBay for parts or the scrapyard. I will maintain all fluids religiously.

What are the odds I will reach 25,000 miles on the Burgie before it coughs it's last. Minor tweaks or repairs will be done but nothing over $200.00...or so.

I am interested in your opinions regarding the mileage I should achieve before permanent end-of-run shut-down. Please give me your mileage reckoning if you please.

kindest Regards.....Slots
Reno, NV
The days of finding such items in a barn has long passed - I don't believe a word of it!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I've got two '03's. The one I bought new went 26,228 miles before the adapter stripped and bearing failed. The other I bought as a parts bike and it did the same at 40,000 miles. I know price wise its at the top of your budget but buying and installing the Polish adapter now could just save that bike the fate my two. When I fixed my '03 I bought and installed one, a very high quality part and does wonders for that diesel sound when idling.

·
Registered
230 Posts
We have here on the gold coast Australia a dealer selling an 05 burgman 650 with 1053ks .I have checked it out and the story is .Japanese business man bought it to use when he was here on business (which buy the ks was not much ) .The dealer is trying to get $7000 I offered them $5500 as i am one of there wholesalers but the best they are willing to do is $6000.They had an executive 650 08 parked next to it and it sold for $7800 with 35000ks
So to cut a long story short old low ks burgman do exist but people are wary,,as the saying go,s use it or loose it

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The days of finding such items in a barn has long passed - I don't believe a word of it!
I would...my 2009 exec was out the door to the first owner ( rich guy in over his head ) for $15k Canadian in 2010.
Had zip mileage on it when I bought it in 2011 for $7k.

There are superb deals out there on the 650 as they get bought by inexperienced riders and then don't get ridden and then sold off by the more money than brains crowd.

Both 650s I've have have had less than 2,000 miles on them when I bought them.

If Australia was not so finicky about steam cleaning might pay Bikersmurf and I to load up a container :D.

•••

OP - if you are not putting big mileage on it - go for it but you might find a 2005-2008 for not much more.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
OK so what did you pay for it , color condition etc etc . Pics or it didn't happen .

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would...my 2009 exec was out the door to the first owner ( rich guy in over his head ) for $15k Canadian in 2010.
Had zip mileage on it when I bought it in 2011 for $7k.
$15000? He got screwed. We bought two new 2009s for $20,400, including tax, PDI and other costs.

There are superb deals out there on the 650 as they get bought by inexperienced riders and then don't get ridden and then sold off by the more money than brains crowd.
That holds for any bike. People buy them because they think they want them, then don't ride them. A Burgman 650 is big and heavy, more than some (female) riders can handle, so its not uncommon to see them for sale with low mileage. Around here (last year) they sell for $6000 - $7000.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts