Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my oil, and found this broken. What does it do and what do I need to do to fix it?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do I fix it?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
As a quick fix you can just reinsert the bolt (in light blue in the drawing below) and the outer spacer (the thingy in green and with the green arrows), and get a new cover plate. The threads at the end of the bolt look kind of chewed up as well, you probably will want to get a new bolt too.

I do not know what the torque spec is for the bolt however I am sure someone who does will chime in shortly. Those with more specific knowledge may also provide sage advice regarding the use of loctite, etc, as well...

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
The green thingy in Cliffy's photo and laying beside the bolt in your picture is the primary pulley adapter. It provides the connection between the engine and the CVT. If your is damaged I suggest you replace it. You should replace the bolt too. It torques to 67.5 ft lbs and I suggest you use blue locktite on the new bolt when you install it.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
You will need two sockets to torque the new bolt. A 32 mm to hold the adapter in place and a 14 mm to torque the bolt.

·
Administrator
18,734 Posts
It seems that it is a common issue on just the 2006 AN650. Eugene's is like the 5th 2006 I have heard of happening.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the inner threads might be bad. I can't seem to get the new bolt to start threading. It doesn't want to catch.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Those threads are in the end of the primary pulley shaft. That is an expensive part and you will have to remove the CVT from the bike to replace it.

I suggest you get a proper sized thread chaser (not a tap) and very carefully try to clean the threads up so that the bolt will go back in.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I think the inner threads might be bad. I can't seem to get the new bolt to start threading. It doesn't want to catch.
Just curious , how many miles on your 2006 ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just over 31,000 miles. This is the first mechanical issue I've had. A rock bounced up and bent the center stand switch a few years ago. Two months ago I notice one of the forks leaking, so I fixed that. Last month someone tried to use a screwdriver to start it. That cost me a few hundred bucks! Now this. I'm supposed to leave for Alaska in less than three weeks. I hope this doesn't foul things up for that!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Just over 31,000 miles. This is the first mechanical issue I've had. A rock bounced up and bent the center stand switch a few years ago. Two months ago I notice one of the forks leaking, so I fixed that. Last month someone tried to use a screwdriver to start it. That cost me a few hundred bucks! Now this. I'm supposed to leave for Alaska in less than three weeks. I hope this doesn't foul things up for that!
I had an 06 for 2 years , never had one problem with it other than a stuck kick stand switch . I find your bolt coming loose without notice interesting , I would have thought there would be some thing like even a different sound coming from the engine . Also interesting is how it cut a hole right through the cap . Hopefully you'll be able to clean those threads up enough to get back on the road .

Good luck ! TheReaper!

·
Administrator
18,734 Posts
The CVT's primary input shaft on the 05 and up fits directly into the flywheel's splines and then they added the (left hand side) adapter with that longer bolt. The splines are still engaged with the adapter missing and should not pop loose as the CVT's retaining bolts hold the CVT tight up to the engine. The 05 up adapter is not really an adapter but more like a stabilizer. There is an air gap between the insides of the adapter and the CVT's splines with only the bolt connecting them with NO twisting load. If you look at Primll's picture that Cliff posted in #6 above you can see that air gap in the PINK lower 05 up splined area. I'd almost bet you could run without one but I would not wish to try it.

We had a husband and wife from back east that did a road trip up to Washington State, thru Canada, Alaska and down to California and then back home. While they were in Alaska the husbands 2006 suffered this same failure and they were able to get a new bolt threaded in by putting pressure on it while turning it. It had chewed thru the cover just like Eugene's.

I would suggest all 06 AN650 owners add a "Look and Test" of this bolt to their maintenance schedule! It would not hurt to remove it, add Lock-Tight Blue to the threads and retighten it to spec's.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks Dave. I've heard a "tinny" rattle at times for a long time. I ran it at freeway speeds to Napa and back without any issues. I'm glad to know that the inner pieces won't just fall out.

·
Administrator
18,734 Posts
I was editing my post when you posted this ^^^. This topic should be edited and made a sticky for the 2006 owners. Everyone should check theirs from 05 up but the 2006 are the only ones I know that have had this problem. Like maybe Suzuki left out thread locker in only this model year or the torque spec's were done wrong.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I was editing my post when you posted this ^^^. This topic should be edited and made a sticky for the 2006 owners. Everyone should check theirs from 05 up but the 2006 are the only ones I know that have had this problem. Like maybe Suzuki left out thread locker in only this model year or the torque spec's were done wrong.
In the OP's pics that bolt doesn't look like it ever had any thread lock on it , normally when you pull a bolt there is visual evidence of the thread lock .

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I had another member PM me last week with the same problem on a 2006 with less than 8000 miles on it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts