Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its located to the right of the oil view glass. Its has an aluminum cover attached wirh two small bolts. Behind the cover is a 9/16 bolt that is 5 to 6 inches long that goes into and thru a very large 1 inch bolt with a hole in it that has splines on it. It almost looks like a gear but it is not a gear. This large 1 inch bolt with a hole in it looks like it is used to make some kind of adjustment. My 9/16 bolt has treads and the threads are gone on the end. I have looked at many diagrams and can not find the 9/16 bolt or the 1 in bolt with a hole in it. It's on my 2006 burgman 650.

I would like to know what this thing does and the part numbers for the 9/16 bolt and the larger 1 in bolt that it goes thru. Also I wold like some help if the replacement bolt doesn't work and I need to rethread or tap it for a new one. Take a look at the pics and help me out.

I found this when i was changing my oil yesterday and I don't want to ride it until I know what this thing is and what it does. Thanks Jim

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,752 Posts
That is the primary input adapter for the CVT. That large splinned unit is a mate for the CVT's input shaft and that long bolt clamps them solid. Go to the Ron Ayers web page and get on the micro-ficsh for the CVT and order a new bolt. A few other riders have been lucky that the new bolt threads right in. Put some blue Locktight compound on and tighten it up. It does take a special socket but you can have one welded up from a cheap Harbor Freight socket and flat steel.

Do not ride it with the adapter missing.

Read some more here. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/33629-primary-spline-failures.html

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
There is no chance you will ride it with those parts missing. You can't get power from the engine to the CVT so it won't go anywhere.

The part number for the bolt is 09103-12077. The part number for the adapter is 21282-10G00. The bolt will run about $5 and the adapter about $20.

As Dave said you will need a special setup to be able to tighten the bolt up. You have to hold the adapter so that it will not turn while you tighten the bolt. Here is what I used on mine when I removed the CVT from my bike. I put a socket on the bolt then an extension on it. I then put a 32 MM socket on the primary adapter over it and an extension through the 32 MM socket to the smaller socket on the bolt. I had ground flats on two sides on the 32 MM socket so that I could fit a wrench on it to keep it from turning while I torqued the bolt.

In the pictures you will notice adapters on the extension and small socket. That is because the 32 MM socket was a 1/2 inch drive so I had to use a 3/8 drive extension to fit through the hole in it. The adapters were needed because the socket for the bolt was a 1/2 inch drive and my impact wrench that I used to remove the bolt is also a 1/2 inch drive.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I had a 06 exec that did the same thing. When researching how to repair it, I found at least three other 06 owners with the same problem. I fixed mine and did not have any problems with it after the repair. Just put some lock-tite on the bolt when you replace it. That step seems to be what the factory did not do on some of the 06s.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The service manual does call for thread locker on the bolt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I have ordered and received the bolt. I went to Harbor Freight and bought the 32 MM socket. I will grinf it down so that I can hold it with a wrench. I got the 14mm socket and extension that will fit into the 32 mm socket. If I can get enough torque on the 14mm socket I should have it fixed in a few days.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
It torques to 67.5 ft lbs. I managed to do mine with a 3/8 drive torque wrench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts