Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use the center stand. Do you leave the side stand down as a back up?
Don't want the bike to fall over

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
You might want to leave the side stand down while you put it on the center stand just in case you lose your grip or balance. Once you have it up on the center stand it does not matter.

As for putting it up on the center stand. Stand on the left side of the bike facing it. Put you left hand on the handle bar and your right hand on the passenger grab rail. Put your right foot on the center stand foot and lower it until it just touches the ground. Rock the bike slightly from left to right to ensure you have both feet of the center stand resting on the ground evenly. Put all you weight on the foot of the center stand and the bike should just pop up on it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
little thing to add for buffalo's reply that might help for beginners as i still use this technique. Simply as you put all your weight on the center stand you can use your right hand that hold the passenger grip to rise the bike, but what actually happen is you use your body to generate more force on the center stand. that's it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I don't use the grab rail and was taught that was not the correct technique since many bikes don't have one to grab. Anyway, the way I do it is with both hands on the handlebar, right foot on the stand, and simultaneously pull back on the bars and push down on the stand{with your body weight}. This technique has never failed me.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I found doing it with the kickstand up to be the safest option...if the stand is Down, Technically what happens is this: you start to pull the bike upon the center stand, and then you feel like you can't manage it and then the bike bounces back off the center stand and hits the kickstand on the way down which will send the bike off over to the other side which is very hard to hold dragging you over!

I now do it quite easily that I have practiced the umph needed to do it in one sweep.
If she starts to roll back off the center stand, just apply the left hand brake so the bike doesn't run away from you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you are having difficulty getting it up on the center stand because you're not heavy enough or large enough to push the stand foot down hard enough, you can push or pull the rear tire onto a board to get it up a little to give you a head start, my wife used to do that with her BMW 750. She used a short piece of 1X6 that she carried in the saddle bags. It helps.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
How to put down your centre stand.

It depends on what you mean by 'put down'.

In the 1st instance, 'put down' could mean to 'subjugate', in which case you could employ either withering insults or brute force (a whip is known to be quite effective) to pummel your centre stand into subservience.

Alternatively, if by 'put down' you meant to 'extinguish life' you could either use a heat source (e.g. a welding torch) and dissolve it into a shapeless blob of pure steel, or send the whole Burgman (with centre stand attached, but preferably not yourself) into the oncoming path of an 18 wheeler.

The choice is yours, but do let us know which you decide upon. ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
As noted by others, just make sure the two legs of the center stand are evenly on the ground before you do the stand-lift-and-pull. Otherwise the scooter can rock dangerously as it settles onto whichever stand leg was in the air.

I have only ever had difficulty getting it on the center stand when the front wheel was resting on a slightly lower surface than the rear (common at some local gas stations if I pull too far forward, off the pump-slab).

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
As noted by others, just make sure the two legs of the center stand are evenly on the ground before you do the stand-lift-and-pull. Otherwise the scooter can rock dangerously as it settles onto whichever stand leg was in the air.
It also takes a lot more effort to accomplish the maneuver if the two legs are not evenly on the ground. Why that is true I don't know but I've tested it several times and the more the bike is leaning to one side the harder it becomes.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It depends on what you mean by 'put down'.

In the 1st instance, 'put down' could mean to 'subjugate', in which case you could employ either withering insults or brute force (a whip is known to be quite effective) to pummel your centre stand into subservience.

Alternatively, if by 'put down' you meant to 'extinguish life' you could either use a heat source (e.g. a welding torch) and dissolve it into a shapeless blob of pure steel, or send the whole Burgman (with centre stand attached, but preferably not yourself) into the oncoming path of an 18 wheeler.

:shock: :laughing6: All hail the mighty center stand dictator!

An option to the second one would be sulfuric acid, it dissolves almost all metals.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts

But sometimes that's the most humane thing you can do when the centerstand reaches the end of its life and is suffering. Take comfort in knowing that all of your centerstands will be waiting for you on the other side of the Rainbow Overpass. They're with us for such a short time, but they leave indelible marks on our driveways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts