Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 has the right angle valve stem on the rear wheel.
Wish Suzuki had included one on the front wheel.

I'm going to be installing one on the front wheel so I can install my Tire Gard TPMS sending units on the stems.

I'm thinking that I may be able to break the tire bead with a c clamp and get the new stem in place by shifting the tire to one side of the rim.

Anyone had success doing this with a Burgman tire?

I know I can take parts off the front and remove the wheel, but this is something I'm thinking of trying.

I had a failure on my BMW GS rubber stem with a TPMS sending unit on it.
Whole inner part including the threaded end with the unit still screwed on blew off. Fortunately, I had just come off the Interstate and was slowing down for the off ramp stop sign....wow!, why's my bike rear end wobbling so bad? Lesson learned about rubber valve stems and TPMS. I was lucky as I had been doing 75 - 80 minutes earlier.
I now have metal stems on that bike and use the Garmin TPMS sending units with my 590 GPS.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I suggest just taking it to a tire shop and letting them do it. Could barely change the balancing of the tire with the tpms and metal stem. Plus the tire can move around. Me, I'd just have the shop do it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Trying to do this while mounted on the bike is probably not the greatest plan. I have enough difficulty breaking the bead with a C-clamp with the wheel on the ground. While I've never given much thought to mucking about with the wheel with only one bead broken, you might be able to get one of the angle stems mounted. Myself, I'd just remove the tire and have my way with the wheel.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I found out the hard way that most all businesses that install tires were using CHEAP CHINESE rubber valve stems that crack and fail prematurely.

I demand valve stems made in the United States.

I would let your tire shop install the new stem when you replace the tire again but keep and eye on the tell-tale cracks that appear before failure.

Sam:cool:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I suggest just taking it to a tire shop and letting them do it. Could barely change the balancing of the tire with the tpms and metal stem. Plus the tire can move around. Me, I'd just have the shop do it.
Yep, me too.

I'm going to have them put the 90 degree stems on next time I have tires done. I wish I had thought to do it in October when they put tires on. Now I will have to wait a while.

·
Registered
630 Posts
My 2011 has the right angle valve stem on the rear wheel.
Wish Suzuki had included one on the front wheel.

I'm going to be installing one on the front wheel so I can install my Tire Gard TPMS sending units on the stems.

I'm thinking that I may be able to break the tire bead with a c clamp and get the new stem in place by shifting the tire to one side of the rim.

Anyone had success doing this with a Burgman tire?
I know it can be done, though I can't say if a c-clamp would be enough. The ineffective front-wheel clamp included with the Princess Auto lift table does work--I broke the bead on the front tire of the 650 while it was still connected to the forks so I could add Airsoft BBs for balancing. I can't find any pictures of it to show you, unfortunately and the Harbour Freight equivalent is slightly different.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I installed my valve stem on my 650 by deflating the tire and then using several wood working clamps on the tire and it worked perfectly
In used 4 or 5 of them, the ones with the plastic pads I installed a metal right angel valve stem for my tire pressure sensors, you will like the tire guard kit it works very well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would recommend the 45 deg metal stem instead of the 90 degree. Makes it easier to service and I get a sense that center of gravity is not as concentrated over the rubber stem seal. I use the Patchboy.com products with .453 sizing. (double nuts)

That said...I currently have both types...never had a failure IF
1) Always use locktite on all nuts
2) torque the First nut to max 30 In LB
3) Hold the first nut with a wrench and Reef the second nut tight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
OH...every tire change, inspect the whole installation, and try to discern seal quality if you can. Any doubts....they are cheap to replace. Just to it right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts