Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the coldest temp you comfortably ride?

Thought about taking the Burg to work today - 46 and cloudy...it stayed home . :(

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Being retired I can pick and choose the good days so in the 40s is getting too cold to enjoy the ride.

Looking again at your post I see you did not even put your location in the profile.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
I will normally ride in anything above freezing. On a few occasions I've ridden in temps down into the 20s. For me the dividing line varies based on if it is wet or not. I don't mine riding in the cold and I don't mine riding in the wet. I just don't like riding in cold and wet. If it's below 60 and it's wet I stay home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a member of the SCRC (Southern Cruisers Riding Club) and they have a rule for their club rides. It's the 50/40 rule and it means they ride when the temperature is 50 or above and the chance for rain is 40% or less.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
3 deg F.

I rode there in SE AZ all year round, and the mornings to work it cold drop to single digits.

biggusblockus said:
What is the coldest temp you comfortably ride?

Thought about taking the Burg to work today - 46 and cloudy...it stayed home . :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
All year unless there is ice

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The lowest was 12 degrees , but my commute in the morning is only 15 minutes otherwise I would be taking the train if it was longer at that temp or lower.

·
Registered
748 Posts
'comfortably'. he asked, and you guys are nuts :D .
Under 80, light jacket, until it hits about-
73, layer, or mid jacket.
65, base, mid layer, and jacket.
60, snowmobile jacket
Under 50, Car..... :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
Well comfortable is a relative thing. I've ridden in temps down into the single digits but only for short distances. What I posted above was for longer rides where gear can keep things at lease bearable for a few hours.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Back in '65 I rode from Buffalo to Toronto in a snowstorm, on a 305 Yamaha Big Bear, but there was a 19 year old French girl waiting for me in TO--these days I tend toward the 50/40 rule as put forth by Parlin50...

·
Registered
704 Posts
30 + degrees comfortably with Gerbings electrics on 45 minute commute. 20 + on short runs with the same garb. 20 + is not comfortable on the 45 minute commute to work but I have done it.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Anything below 40 degrees (dry) and I take the car. When I was younger it didn't bother me like it does now but for years when I was in my teens 2 wheels was my only means of transportation.

Bob

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Back in '65 I rode from Buffalo to Toronto in a snowstorm, on a 305 Yamaha Big Bear,
Hah - 1968 I think for me - blizzard so bad the QEW to Fort Erie was closed - fell a few times on the side roads but the Honda 305 Hawk made it home from St. Catharines.

I used to ride all year and will up into Dec if there is no snow.
The Clearview screen will help - **** it really keeps the wind off. :cheers:

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've ridden when it's 35 degrees or so.. I have no heated gear so it becomes a battle of freezing Vs. feeling the controls..

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Year round for me. Coldest around here is 0 F to 12 F. I will ride in snow if I get caught but ice is different. I have rode 15 miles on the shoulder of the freeway doing 10 MPH when traffic was stopped.

My 08 has heated grips but I have learned to layer. Look like the Michelin man. :D

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
16F is my lowest temperature ride to work over a couple days and it was comfortable. I don't have any electric heated gear either. The commute was probably 45-60 minutes on those days...each way.

My criteria is if there is nothing white on the road, I'll ride. On the days when it was in the teens, the temperature had been cold with no moisture. There was snow in the yards, but not on the roads I was riding on.

Would I blindly apply that same lower temperature as my cutoff in all circumstances? No. That is on roads that I knew well. I knew where moisture would accumulate and had figured out in days prior that the tires had dried it all off. I wouldn't have attempted that ride out in the country where every corner is a new experience.

Each winter is different. The previous winters had been where we'd get 34-35F with rain coming down. It was okay. Last winter, the temperature tilted the other way by a degree or so and it made all the difference in the world. It's that borderline area around freezing here that can be dangerous if we've had rain recently and that's what I hit. Luckily, I stayed upright. I think I have a guardian angel watching over me, because my stupidity should've had me in the hospital or looking for a new bike.

If in doubt...drive or stay at home. It's hard to remember how macho you were while laying in a hospital bed. :)

Chris

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Mike337 said:
'comfortably'. he asked, and you guys are nuts :D .
Under 80, light jacket, until it hits about-
73, layer, or mid jacket.
65, base, mid layer, and jacket.
60, snowmobile jacket
Under 50, Car..... :thumbup:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I primarily work on new construction sites and usually dress accordingly with many, many layers of clothing which keeps me nice and toasty. Other than for work I generally don't do to much riding in the cold weather.

The one thing that turns me off when riding in cold weather is your limited range of motion because of all the clothing you must wear.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Saving gas money is always comfortable. I'm with Buffalo except the wet does bother me. I do not do cold and wet. But at work, especially in the winter, people have to stop by and ask if I rode today since only 3 of us ride year round.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Buffalo said:
Well comfortable is a relative thing.............
+1

Cold's not really a factor here in Florida, but when I used to ride year round in UK, it was a different story.

With the right clothing (gotta love Damart), temperature is a lot less of a factor than moisture, or wind speed.

I've had some really enjoyable and comfortable rides below freezing, and some terrifyingly uncomfortable ones at much higher temps.

It's all relative to who you are, and how much you want to ride at the time!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts