Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Bergman 400 @29K miles with the rear Pads needing replacement. I looked at Kevlar-Sintered-Semi-Metallic-Organic but can't find which will give the best wear and Braking Power :confused:
Any experience or suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I rate EBC HH pads. I do not over use brakes on my bikes including the Big B, but when they are needed I want top notch pads and the EBC's fit the bill. Start working from the off and do not fade, they have bite as well but you can control them.

I have had them on many bikes and no problems re damaging disc's. I presume those folks who complain about damaged disc's caused by their
pads are heavy on the brakes in the first place and fail to read the road.

My K1200 RS has awesome servo assisted brakes and the EBC's are better than the stock pads, again no undue wear on the rotors. Of course they will wear out eventually but they are still good with 25000 miles on.

WM

·
Registered
661 Posts
I like ceramics. They have a solid feel and no fade if you're hard on them.
Of course many in the motorcycle world criticize them, but the way I figure is that it's the newest best technology and if they're good enough for Ferrari they're good enough for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ceramic brake pads are perfect for small vehicles and people who want silent running for their cars. These pads offer long-term wear and usage without creating as much squeaking but are susceptible to breaking on a much more regular basis than other materials. Ceramic brake pads are lightweight and therefore are perfect for racing and high-performance road vehicles.

·
Administrator
18,742 Posts
This is for my 650, a 400 may be different. I usually go with EBC HH pads but there were none in stock anywhere when I NEEDED them so I went with EBC's organics on front . Lasted about 5000 miles when left set was down to the metal and the other was at 20% left. Still no HH's to be found so I went with Bikemaster's HH and all is well. Got them from Bike Bandit. Just checked for them at Motorcycle Super Store and not in stock for the 650 or the 400 for the fronts.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I went with the EBC organic pads on the rear of my 650 last time and they too seemed to wear faster than the OEM pads I had been using. Price was about 1/3 of the OEM ones though so kind of a wash. I ordered the EBC HH sintered pads this time. They came in today so I will be putting them on in the morning. The rotor was worn down below the limit too so I ordered an EBC rotor to replace it with. The old rotor had over 110,000 miles on it so I guess I got my money out of it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
EBC HH series are the best for me.
I used Brembo Carbon Ceramic and breaking distance is much more longer than both stock and EBC HH pads.

The moment i installed the EBC the braking distance had significantly reduced.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I see no good reason (other than track racing ) to deviate from OEM - remember if you seek improved braking by change of pad material then likely you will wear your discs faster too.

·
Administrator
18,742 Posts
I see no good reason (other than track racing ) to deviate from OEM - remember if you seek improved braking by change of pad material then likely you will wear your discs faster too.
After I wore the rear OEM's out at about 15,000 miles I have has EBC HH pads on the rear. I am at 56,000 miles now. If it does cause more wear, it is, IMHO, out weighed by the greater stopping power. I go thru brake pads faster due to doing the 82 mile commute every day in the "Accelerate to 70 MPH, slow down to 25, back up to 60 and then down to 35 , back up to... and so on....." I can not just let the engine braking of the 650 slow me fast enough so I use both fronts and rears. YMMD!

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I Looked up the EBC HH pads several folks recommended fluid replace when pads replaced. Out of curiosity, why would that be needed? Do folks that put the EBC's on their Burgies change their fluid too? Any difference noted either change/no change? In general, should fluid be changed when replacing pads?

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The fluid should be changed periodically but not necessarily when you change pads. It won't hurt anything to do it but it the manual just specifies changing the fluid every two years.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
One thing about the EBC pads. They do not come with the insulators and shims that are on the OEM pads. You should transfer those over as the insulators help keep heat away from the caliper pistons.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just replaced all the stock pads on my 650 with EBC HH pads. Better feel than the stock pads and no more low speed brake noise coming from the rear brake.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I use EBC brake pads, have used them for years. I put HH Sintered on the front of my bikes and organic on the back as I want more stopping power on the front wheel and feel that with a disk brake on the back the rear wheel is too easy to lock up. Now on my Burgman 650 with ABS, I very well may just go to sintered brake pads on both the front and the back as the ABS will keep me from locking up the rear wheel.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have a 2009 Bergman 400 @29K miles with the rear Pads needing replacement. I looked at Kevlar-Sintered-Semi-Metallic-Organic but can't find which will give the best wear and Braking Power :confused:
Any experience or suggestions welcome.
Decide what is more important, best wear or best braking power. THere isn't a pad currently on the market that can do both.

I find that the best braking power comes from pads that wear out quickly and create alot of brake dust. These are the organic pads. They also don't chew down rotor thickness as rapidly.

The slowest to brake, but last the longest are the semi-metallics, sintered metallics. They do groove and reduce rotor life more quickly. A big advantage with semi/sintered metallic pad is that they brake more consistently in wet weather.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the input. On the advise of a local scooterist, I installed Kevlar Pads.
I had al lot of difficulty because the Spring Clip was apparently distorted, and I could not turn the Caliper Hsg. to clean it or to see why the pads did not seat properly. It was too close of a fit . I fooled with it for two hrs. said some nasty words, before I decided to loosen the Muffler ,Which gave me lots of room and now I could see what I was doing. Then it was a piece of cake.
The instruction I viewed on how to install the Rear Pads, showed the Hsg being twisted and turned for easy access ,but it was not the case with my 09 until I loosened the Muffler
My initial observation is reduced Braking power from the original, I have been easy on it trying to give a little "wear in" but if it does not change I will replace with something else.. I am planning a 350 M overnight trip this weekend and will let all know how it works.

·
Administrator
18,742 Posts
As with almost any pad/shoe, it must bed in together. Takes a bit of time. I am sure that after those kellar pads bed in all will be good.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I rode the Scoot over 350 M after installing the Kevlar Pads. I noted that the rotor showed initial sign of heating as I periodically looked at it, but it eventually went away and returned to a normal metallic color as I viewed it miles later.. After being used under normal Breaking Conditions,the Stopping power is considered close to that on OEM, and I think the initial Heat buildup to the Rotor was a result of the Pads Hard surface, until they Bedded in. The original lasted about 29K miles. I will note how these hold up and will report if quick wear is evident.
Again. Thanks to all for the input.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts