Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into an intercom system that would work on my AN400. That is, even on express ways, going at the speed limit :wink:.
Starcom looks attractive, pretty straightforward to use, eventhough it does not come cheap. Anybody around here with experience with it or with similar equipment?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Autocom has one of the best reputations - try a search on the forum using the term Autocom. :wink:

·
Registered
250 Posts
It would be difficult to say which is The Best because this assumes that you've tried all of them in real riding conditions.

As Norman says, Autocom has an excellent reputation, but is quite expensive.

I have an Intaride system which works very well indeed and is reasonably priced, too. I think it's well made, too, and on the Burger it's easy to locate it under the seat, with just the curly lead(s) and socket(s) hanging out for the rider (and passenger) to plug into.

Friends of mine have the Starcom system which is similarly priced. They're very satisfied with their systems, as well.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Chiefy

thanks for the link - which particular system did you go for?
:)

·
Registered
250 Posts
NormanB said:
...which particular system did you go for?
:)
I have got the RP1 (rider to passenger) system which also has sockets for my mobile phone, mp3 player and (when I eventually one) a PMR466 radio for bike-to-bike comms. It cost me about £150 at last year's NEC Bike Show.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Intercom systems

Also check out the Chatterbox systems. 3 couples from Indiana at Scootercade all use this system for intercom with 2-up, & to talk to each other. I helped one fellow with a hookup for an AM/FM pocket radio...none of these couples had used this before. Worked great. :!:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx for all the answers.
Norman, I did check the Autocom, but there prices are too high for what I am looking for, you have to add a second head-set, bla bla bla... But they do have a good reputation!

Chiefkeefe, you are happy with the RP1 Intaride. Does it turn on/off automatically when you plug the jacks in?
There are "objective" comparisons on all manufacturers sites, and the Intatride seems to be not that great at higher speeds. Did you observe that?
Do you know if your friend using the Starcom is REALLY happy with it? (including at higher speeds).

Duster, I would have the same question for the Chatterboxsystem 3.

Blackskies, your system is out, since I want a rider/passenger system, and yours comes only a one way system. :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Intercom systems

The Chatterbox systems I mentioned earlier were used initially by the owners as intercoms between riders when 2-up....husbands & wives. They also used the walkie-talkie feature to talk between scooters. They seemed to be very satisfied with their units. In conversation with them, they realized that I have the Chatterbox AM/FM radio connected to my helmet earphones. They didn't have any experience with that feature. One of the fellows thought he had the proper connector cord at home...just didn't realize what it was for. We pieced together a temporary cord so that they could try it. The music comes through both headsets until one of you speaks...the VOX voice circuit mutes the music so that the voice is heard. We even tried this feature with the walkie-talkie part turned on. When IT receives a signal, the music is muted also...the VOX voice circuit always takes priority. Hope this helps. {Don't have to use a radio...you can use a CD player, iPod or whatever you want.}

·
Registered
250 Posts
Philippe said:
...Chiefkeefe, ... RP1 Intaride... Does it turn on/off automatically when you plug the jacks in?
Yes. It has noise reducing microphones and voice activation which work well in both open- and full-faced helmets.

There are "objective" comparisons on all manufacturers sites, and the Intatride seems to be not that great at higher speeds. Did you observe that?
We have used it successfully up to 80mph. Can't comment beyond that speed because I get a thump if I try :?

Do you know if your friend using the Starcom is REALLY happy with it? (including at higher speeds).
The friend I refer to rides a BMW R1150RT and has found the Starcom to give excellent service right up to warp speed (100+ mph ... on the German autobahns). It also works well when piping music, mobile phone, GPS and bike-to-bike radio to his helmet (but then so does my Intaride).

HTH
:wink:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Check out my review in the Product Review thread on the AUTOCOM.

Janine :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Intaride RP1-Rider-to-Pillion system

I did go for the Intaride system, and it seems to be a good choice: it does allow very easy conversation up to 60mph, and understandable conversation up to 80. We were using open face helmets, so I guess it should be even better with full face helmets.
I did not try faster though, because there is a weird and unexpected side effect of the intercom system: as soon as you go above the speed limit, you hear a voice in your helmet shooting: "c'mon, slow down!" :wink:
It is straightforward to install, using the rear light wiring as a power source (not the battery as indicated, since if you let it plugged in and do not use the bike for a few days, no more juice)...
You can plug your MP3 player in, and you get OK sounding music, that turns off as soon as you start talking in the mike.
200euros (in France), not cheap, but it does work fine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I bought this one (Albrecht AE 500):

It cost me 100€ and works perfectly (installed under the seat on tools place).

I can hear mp3 music or radio;
Answer my cell phone(High priority);
Broadcast with my wife while listen music (Voice activ with 3 levels sensiv);
Works also perfectly with one PMR Walky Talkie (Have two PTT extensions).

PRice Quality Excelent

Cya

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just curious...

In Pennsylvania, it is illegal for a cyclist to use a sound system (radio, CD's, Ipods, etc.) while riding.

It can only be used as a 'safety device' - ie. communication with a passenger or other riders.

Is the law the same where you all are?

- Tom

·
Registered
153 Posts
Tomx said:
Just curious...

In Pennsylvania, it is illegal for a cyclist to use a sound system (radio, CD's, Ipods, etc.) while riding.

It can only be used as a 'safety device' - ie. communication with a passenger or other riders.

Is the law the same where you all are?
Im not a law expert but i think its not illegal.

But I also think that ear in Portugal the policemans doesnt know what a mp3 is :D

The policemans of this country always walk on pairs because ...
... one can read ...
... and the other one can write :D

Cheers

·
Registered
153 Posts
Analytical said:
That Albrecht AE 500 sure looks a lot like the MotoComm AudioBoss AB-1m ( see https://www.rflimited.com/Site.asp?CID=3 ) Anybody know if they're the same?
I think its the same! We call this a White Product!

The only negative point i can find on it is the low quality of the stereo on the phone sets! You can hear the music but the fidelity could be better!
Well, nothings perfect!

Tandem Cyclist said:
Since the thread title was best intercom, then I will mention the best. Baehr
http://www.baehrusa.com/
Rick
How much for this one? Seems quite good.

·
Registered
226 Posts
TomRider: I got the BMW K1200LT model, probably most expensive one, at $1200. It plugged right in to a connector on the bike and my on board radio and CD player come through it. It comes with everything including headsets and mikes. Works perfect. I'm adding an Ipod and Ham radio to it also.

Rick

1 - 19 of 19 Posts