Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a trip for the 4th of July Weekend, and got lots of variants on that question. People thought it was a little putt-putt moped and didn't believe that (a) I had come as far as I had and/or (b) it was 400cc.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Just remind them....
by definition...a MOPED has pedals...
your 400 is not a 'play-toy'....
it is a scooter on steroids...a maxi-scooter.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me. The 400 is bigger than many bikes out there, dimension wise, but people still call it a moped. Wtf? My bike cover was made for a Harley Road King; Other ones were too small. How big does it have to be before people see it as viable transportation?

·
Registered
413 Posts
The Burgman is fun, but most of all I like the looks on the Harley group riders face when I pass them going 75mph on my Honda Helix on the interstate LOL......

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I once showed up for a poker run for charity where I was the only non-Harley rider. They said, "Are you sure you can keep up?" I said, "WATCH ME!"

·
Registered
375 Posts
I got asked by a buddy of mine if I was willing to take my Burgman 650 on the freeway. I was astonished by the question, but then I remembered that Americans have been sold the idea that they 'need' 1300cc or 1600cc to 'keep up with traffic'. I tried to explain that the Burgman would hit 100 mph, and that my 600cc Ninja had twice the HP of a big cruiser, but I could see that it didn't compute.

I'm always amazed at how many people believe that because something is on TV it must be 'true'. I know any number of people who are convinced that a bigger and heavier automobile is safer, and that the old cars of the 1950's were the safest of all (with metal dashboards!!!). The manufacturers have done a number on the population to get them to buy bigger and bigger SUV's. Too bad no-one reads the actual research anymore. But we do have an anti-intellectual bias here in the US, which suits the folks that own the place just fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was in the Black Hills last week, really great riding by the way, on I-90 between Rapid City and Sturgis the speed limit is 80 MPH, the speedo was on 85 when I came up on a couple of Harleys, I had to slow down so as not to anger them by passing them.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I love to tell people the wife & I rode our scooter to Denver, Co, from Pa. I've been asked how long it took, How fast could we go, & if it was legal to take it on the 4 lanes. The look on most of their faces says it all: This guy needs to go back in the rubber ward!

·
Registered
23 Posts
it is a strange and sometimes annoying North American thing/ attitude re:scooters.
Why so many have such hate and disdain for scooter riders. The when are you going to get a real bike or you gay/weak/wimpy scared to ride a "real" bike.

except for boots i am wearing the same gear. In morning on scooter and i get shunned by real bikers. But a few hrs later on the motorcycle and they tripping over themselves to wave at me. (different boots ..scooter boots have laces. motorcycle boots do not)

To be fair tho. Many scooter riders, especially in warm sunny weather and usually riding 50cc bikes are kind of clueless. I figure they using those bikes as glorified pedal bikes. They usually do not wave and look at you like a crazy person if you do. (WTF he wave at me for?)

i have heard some say they do not like scooters because it makes you look like you sitting on a toilet. but pretty much the same posture on many cruiser bikes.
And i saw one guy that made me chuckle. Chopper style bike. big ape hangers. hwy pegs. so arms were way up in the air and was doing splits with feet way out front. Looked like a flying squirrel. And they laugh at scooters?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I took a trip for the 4th of July Weekend, and got lots of variants on that question. People thought it was a little putt-putt moped and didn't believe that (a) I had come as far as I had and/or (b) it was 400cc.
Don't know where you went but obviously they were some very uninformed riders. If it was non riders then it was their ignorance of 2 wheels in general. I was at a Suzuki demo team location last May and you had to stand in line to ride the Burgmans. Lots of very savy bikers with lots of experience. The 400 never sat un ridden but the Hayabusa only went out twice that I saw and once with me on it. It's tough to ride, not comfortable and the Burgmans are fun and nice. I'm right up the road from you in Hurricane and you should experience what I do on my 125cc Vino scooter. It's either "watch that that thing doesn't get away from you" Ha ha ha or "what kind of mileage do you get?" REALLY! where can I get one. I ride a Suzuki V-Strom Adventure bike too and even from other riders I get "how do you like your BMW" . The engine says Suzuki and the side cases say SUZUKI in big letters. I say enjoy your 400 and just smile:) when some uninformed cretin doesn't understand the 2 wheels your on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I began riding in the early sixties, there were no Burgman's then but there existed a similar mentality between scooter riders and motorcycle riders - known then in UK as the MODS and the ROCKERS the latter being the motorcyclists...

A popular ride was to Southend-on-Sea in South East England where many horrific fights broke out between the two groups with many arrests by Police when things got ugly - as they always did.

I rode a 350cc motorcycle then but avoided such locations and events at all costs.

Jim

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I began riding in the early sixties, there were no Burgman's then but there existed a similar mentality between scooter riders and motorcycle riders - known then in UK as the MODS and the ROCKERS the latter being the motorcyclists...

A popular ride was to Southend-on-Sea in South East England where many horrific fights broke out between the two groups with many arrests by Police when things got ugly - as they always did.

I rode a 350cc motorcycle then but avoided such locations and events at all costs.

Jim
I too began riding in the early 60's and in 1962 rode my Dayton Albatross scooter (Villiers 250 twin 2-stroke) to Barcelona and back loaded up with my wife and full camping gear. I repeated the journey in 1966 but with a Reliant 3-wheeler + trailer but that's another story.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
it is a strange and sometimes annoying North Many scooter riders, especially in warm sunny weather and usually riding 50cc bikes are kind of clueless. I(WTF he wave at me for?)
I was one of those riders a few years back. As silly as it sounds now, I had no idea what it meant when someone did "the wave". So I didn't wave back when a big burly bearded dude on a Harley would wave. I thought at the time it might mean something negative and I knew I wasn't going to outrun him on my 50 cc Chinese scoot :D.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't 'notice' it in the sense that it makes me ashamed of the Burgman, or want to get a different kind of bike, or anything like that. I 'notice' in the sense that stupidity in general annoys me. I'm annoyed a lot.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me. The 400 is bigger than many bikes out there, dimension wise, but people still call it a moped. Wtf?
I dunno...seems about the same to me as being so amazed that people don't know about scooters, "disrespect" them, or whatever. What's really so amazing to ME is that scooter owners are so on top of the issue of what non-scooter owners think about scooters (positive OR negative).

:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts