Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the term "semi-synthetic" in reference to oil. Is there a standard value in the mix ratio for synthetic/crude? I guess what I'm asking is, can one manufacturer make the ratio 70% crude / 30% synthetic while another makes it 95% crude / 5% synthetic and both sell it as "semi-synthetic"?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I think a few companies put the ratio on the label.,..but otherwise, nope. It could be (and I suspect many are) only a tiny amount of "synthetic" oil.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think a few companies put the ratio on the label.,..but otherwise, nope. It could be (and I suspect many are) only a tiny amount of "synthetic" oil.
Jarlaxle is correct. The ratio of dino to synthetic is pretty much up to the manufactures whim. As long as it has some man-made oil they can sell it as a blend. I am not sure just how much of the laboratory made product has to actually be in each quart but you can pretty much bet that there is not more in there than there has to be for the oil companies to make as much profit off of it as they can.

It's probably good oil but I just very much doubt if it really is any better than the best 100% natural oil is.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>It could be (and I suspect many are) only a tiny amount of "synthetic" oil.<<

And therein lies the problem. I say go one way or the other. I don't really see the point in semi-synthetics, and have been a (total) synthetic user for well over 20 years. This includes cars, trucks, and three diesels as well.

·
Registered
590 Posts
From Wikepedia .......

Semi-synthetic oil

Semi-synthetic oils (also called 'synthetic blends') are blends of mineral oil with no more than 30% synthetic oil designed to have many of the benefits of synthetic oil without matching the cost of pure synthetic oil. Motul introduced the first semi-synthetic motor oil in 1966.[2]
Lubricants that have synthetic base stocks even lower than 30% but with high-performance additive packs consisting of esters can also be considered synthetic lubricants.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Can also blend your own.

Just change oil in Burgie 650 as follow:

Engine

1 litre of full synthetic Shell Rotella T6 5W40, JASO-MA
+
1.9 litre of Shell Rotella Triple Protection mineral 15W40, JASO MA
+
New EMGO 10-55660 oil filter

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I used to have to adjust the valves on my Morini around the 1800/2000 mark,
since swapping to semi synth I have not had to adjust them in over 10000 miles,
ware on the rocker shafts was to blame though I have forgotten the figurers it stopped
once Semi was used, there was no measurable difference between fully and semi,
though I do use the better known brands, a chemist at a local oil merchant did tell
me how much was in there's and that as others have said some have very little synth
in the mix.

·
Registered
770 Posts
>>It could be (and I suspect many are) only a tiny amount of "synthetic" oil.<<

And therein lies the problem. I say go one way or the other. I don't really see the point in semi-synthetics, and have been a (total) synthetic user for well over 20 years. This includes cars, trucks, and three diesels as well.
Other than the QS Defy (high-mileage oil with lots of ZDDP) I ran to keep my Jeep's flat-tappet cam happy, I never use synthetics or blends. It's just not necessary in most cases. Unless I had a high-strung, hot-running turbo engine or an air-cooled bike, I won't bother.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I checked a lot oil Semi Synthetic blend oil containers and never saw any ratios listed. You can always mix your know. That way your sure of the end product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts