Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i KEEP READIN ABOUT LINKED BRAKING & THAT THE 650 DOESN'T HAVE IT. wHY IS THIS IMPORTANT & IS IT A DISADVANTAGE NOT 2 HAVE IT?

·
Registered
316 Posts
The left brake lever operates both front and rear brakes, the right lever operates the front brake only.

Having grown up riding motorcycles, I've found a forced rear-wheel skid has saved me from a few wipeouts/collisions - so no, I don't want linked braking. But as a future 400 owner, I'll have to learn to like it.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
IT ISNT REALLY THAT IMPORTANT AND YOU REALLY SORTA wONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT!

THE DISADVANTAGE IS THAT WHEN YOU WANT TO JUST USE THE REAR BRAKE SUZUKI MADE THE FRONT ONE WORK TOO!!!

PETE!!!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Please turn off your caps lock when posting on the forums. All caps is considered to be 'shouting'.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the linked 400 brakes operates the rear brake in conjunction with ONE of the front calipers. The right lever alone will operate both front calipers.

If I'm wrong someone please correct so I can edit my post.Well I was wrong in regards to the Burgman. See Pauljo's post below.

There are pros and cons for having linked systems. However if I find myself in conditions where I'm on gravel or dirty roads I would not want the linked system (personal preference)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
On motorcycles that have two front disks, the description of operation given by Allwalk is correct. However, the Burgman 400 and Silverwing have only one front disk. So they must just limit the amount of force applied to the front disk when squeezing the rear lever via valving.

I have owned one or two big (touring) motorcycles with linked brakes. It was neither a benefit nor a major problem for me, but I prefer not to have that system. I am an experienced rider and prefer to modulate my own front/rear braking. I agree with Dero that it is of more benefit to an inexperienced rider who does not fully understand the dynamics of braking on a motorcycle/scooter. And that is precisely why is is found on the Burgman 400 and the SWing. I think the manufacturer figured that these scooters would largely attract new riders. They do attract new riders (and folks who have been away from riding for years) of course, but there are also a higher number of experienced motorcycle riders switching over to the big scooters than I think they anticipated. Conversely, I think Suzuki visualized a more experienced rider buying the Burgman 650, so did not fit a linked braking system to it.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
The linked brakes on the 400 work this way , there are 2 sets of brake pads on the front disk, one larger than the other. So when you grab the left brake lever you get the rear brake and the smaller of pades on the front . and the right lever operates the other ( larger set of pades ) on the front.Now as to it being for inexperanced riders not realy. I for one traded my 650k3 for a 400k5 becouse a dog ran out in front of me and I did 3000 bucks damage to the plastic on top of crushing my right hand with no garintee that I would ever get use of it again, I was lucky I now have about 80 percent use of it but I would have had to quit riding if I had not bought the 400 and that did ont compute!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
806 Posts
The reason some prefer NOT to have linked brakes is because of the added control an experienced rider can have with the brakes not linked.

I have been riding for over 14 years, averaging 10K miles or more a year. I guess I am experienced. But I am also lazy. The experienced rider probably prefers to shift for themselves also, or prefer to have more performance.

I bought the 400 because I am lazy and don't want to pay attention too much (LOL). I twist and go. If I need to stop, I pull both levers equally. If I need to stop RIGHT NOW!!! then I pull both levers equally HARD and have no thoughts of balancing levers. I have yet to lock up either tire though during a "test" emergency stop you can feel the front tire sliding every so slightly.

I guess what I am saying is that I prefer the linked brakes for the same reason I prefer the low center of gravity and automatic transmission of a scooter. I think the linked brakes are right in line with what a Burgman 400's audience wants.

I don't mind jumping on someone's hi performance motorcycle and running through the gears or taking corners at high rates of speed, but for 99% of what I do, the B400, linked brakes and all, is ideal.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I prefer the linked brakes of the 400 they are well balanced and work well.

But thats it - its down to preference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts