Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently while down with the flu :sad4: I read "Ghosts of Scootertrash past" by Mark Tiger Edmonds (you can read a review of the book on my blog). Which got me thinking:

How do you define a "serious rider"?

Is it based on milage?

Is it based on lifestyle?

Is it based on what type of weather they are riding in?

It is based on using the bike as their main/only means of transport?

Mechanical skill?

Gang affiliation?

Do you have to travel a certain number of miles? Or own a particular type of bike?

What is a "serious biker" to you? :confused:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Someone that can't seem to find a smile while they are riding?

Seriously (pun intended) though - anyone that ventures out on 2 wheels regardless of the weather qualifies as a serious rider IMO. I think the term 'serious rider' will conjure up different images in the mind depending on who you ask.

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
The ability to ride in all weather on two wheels safely.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Someone who respects the ride and doesn't carelessly in danger himself or herself, the pillion or anyone else around them. Someone who always rides defensively and within there own ability.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Someone who respects the ride and doesn't carelessly in danger himself or herself, the pillion or anyone else around them. Someone who always rides defensively and within there own ability.
+1. Agreed.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Between 1978 thru 1981 I put about 110K miles on two Suzuki standard bikes. I rode in all kinds of weather. I was saving money on gas but I was NOT a serious rider. At the time, I viewed the speedometer more as an elapsed time meter and wanted to get places FAST and CHEAP. In 1981 I rear ended a car in traffic, accelerating from a stop light. At that point I realized I was a candidate for a Darwin award and sold my second bike and never thought I'd ride again.

28 years later, I got a cruiser, took the MSF course (astonished at how little I knew about riding on two wheels considering the mileage I put on the first time around) and was a much safer rider, but, after 50K in 3 years I wouldn't have considered myself a really serious rider. Now, after 2 years on my Burgman, I would would say, yeah, I'm a serious rider. I ride because I love the experience, rain or shine. I'd rather be on two wheels than anything else. I don't believe there is much if any savings in riding. Certainly not enough to warrant the risk, you need a better reason. My wife will give me grocery list to pick up at the store. I'll immediately edit it, labeling as unnecessary anything that I can't fit on the scooter. I'll plan my errands into scooter sized loads. I look at the morning weather to decide what to wear, not what vehicle to take to work. I look forward to the morning commute and the ride home at night. Cheerful at each end of the day. I just wish the tires lasted longer. sigh

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
One of life's most philosophical questions.
To me it is all one's mindset. I have met serious biker's in all of those categories you mentioned and some not mentioned. But to me it is in the riders mindset and own personal conviction no matter what "that" might be. It cannot be define for someone else by someone else. The only one who really knows if they are a Serious Rider or just a Poser is themselves. Just don't get caught thinking your serious if you never rode in the rain, ate a bug, or fixed a flat on the side of the road.

If you need to ask someone else your not there yet. :wink:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have recently started the book the OP is talking about.

What makes a serious rider/biker? I feel that this is a personal thing. If you are a serious rider/biker you just know it. I am such although I haven't put in over 2000 miles a year in the last several years due to health reasons. And I am a biker. No apologies. I have been a biker all my life. This motorcyclist, rider, biker thing is something new and I guess I am somewhat resistant to change. I have softened somewhat since serving in the Marines in my youth. I have accepted Buddism. But if push comes to shove, the old biker in me still comes out to play. It is a shortcoming that I maybe will overcome in my lifetime.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would define a Serious Rider as someone who enjoys being on the bike whenever possible

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I would define a Serious Rider as someone who enjoys being on the bike whenever possible
NAAAAAAAAAAW.......!!!!! Ya gotta have a 100 tattoos that read "BURGMAN" EARRINGS, A PONYTAIL AND A BIG BEARD...AND.EVERY OTHER WORD OUTA YA MOUTH START WITH THE "F".....WORD...!! AND CHANGE THE OIL IN YER JEANS EVERY 3,000 MILES......!! THAT.....is a serious rider!!! ;);)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
A serious rider is someone who rides what he wants, when he wants, where he wants and doesn't care what anyone else thinks.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Am I a serious rider? Lets see I ride 12 months out of the year. I don't ride in the rain because I live in the desert. Why buy all that gear for something that doesn't happen very often. ;) I don't ride when it's below 40 because I live in the desert. Why buy all that gear for something that doesn't happen very often.:rolleyes: I don't ride at nite if I don't have too, it's a safety thing. I don't ride when it's over 110 any more why because I'm older & wiser.:D I put 46k + miles on my 400 in 45 months before I sold it. Never had it to a dealer do anything but mount tires I brought the wheel in. Have put just under 6k miles on my 650 in 6 months.
So am I a serious rider........... I would say I am. Oh and I don't care if others don't think I am. :tongue3:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
So am I a serious rider........... I would say I am. Oh and I don't care if others don't think I am. :tongue3:
You not caring about what others think about it, makes you one in my mind.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky
(been riding for over 50 years, makes me one in my own weak mind)

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
One of life's most philosophical questions.
To me it is all one's mindset. ............................ Just don't get caught thinking your serious if you never rode in the rain, ................... :wink:
Check!

..................................., ate a bug, .......................................... :wink:
Check!

............................... or fixed a flat on the side of the road.......................... :wink:
Check!

NAAAAAAAAAAW..........................AND.EVERY OTHER WORD OUTA YA MOUTH START WITH THE "F".....WORD.........!!!! ;);)
Much as though I shouldn't, I have to say, Check!

So am I a serious rider? Who cares!

I love riding, I do it at least five days a week, I rarely drive, preferring to ride, and do so in all weather conditions.........I classify myself as a guy that likes bikes and riding. How others see me is their issue.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I'm not a serious rider- I smile too much from the shear enjoyment of riding.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
To me, a serious rider is one who understands the risks involved in riding a bike and uses that understanding to stay safe. It's also someone who's not afraid to do something that others might find daunting (for me, it was riding to all of the lower 48 states - freeways - and into Canada and Mexico). It is going from Death Valley to the top of Mt. Everest (CO) in June and enjoying the ride, even more so on a little 400. It's not taking stupid chances with weather (been there - got the pics - NEVER again). It's being saluted by a Harley rider and invited to join them at a get-together in Vermont. It's being told you have "nads" to be riding that bike in this or that location and you just thing to yourself "We can do it - this bike and I" and then you proceed to do what the big BMW, etc. bikes are afraid to do.

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
Me!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts