Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an idea I saw on another forum to share with you guys. Don't just rely on the magnetic oil drain plug to pick up small amounts of metal particles in the oil, place some small magnets around your new filter ( e bay ). Can be re used every oil change. These small magnets are very strong for their size.

sorry all I borrowed this of the burgman international on face book and though it was a great idear

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
It could have merit if you have a 650. I still can't figure out a way to workably use those on a 400 though.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Administrator
20,112 Posts
Adding magnets to any part in the oil flow or sump will only attract steel when the flow is stopped. This is not a bad thing as when you shut off the engine all the steel particals will flow towards the magnet. The velocity of the oil is too fast for the steel to get trapped while running.

Bruce, you could just put them in the filter housing as I am sure that they are big enough that they could not get sucked into the engine.

Some of these new "Rare Earth" magnets have extreme amounts of pull so be very careful as they could hurt you.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Next step guess would be to take some current from the alternator to the coil of wire around filter.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My 400 as a magnet on the sump plug but I have been putting magnets on bikes
with external filterers for years never had a problem, don't know if it helps but
at least it makes me feel better, I just put 1 powerful one at the lowest point of the filter.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think this would have been done years ago by filter manufacturers if it really worked. It would be a good marketing tool. I suspect it is not effective.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't know how effective this is but it looks cool, reminds me of the studs we used to put on our denim jackets. :cool:

·
Administrator
20,112 Posts
http://www.filtermag.com/

There are a lot of opinions on the size of particles that get trapped by magnets. Some say that the filter will catch most of the size that cause damage. Others say that the magnet will pull filter trapped metal off the filter membrane and collect it. I have done a lot of testing in my past and do think a good magnet system can help, BUT DOES NOT REPLACE NORMAL MAINTENANCE.

If there was room and the NEED, a "By-Pass" filter system is the best for long term life of an engine. It adds a T'ed off resticted oil by-pass just after the main filter that send a small amount of oil thru a fine 1-2 Micron filter and then dumps that super filtered oil back into the engine. The normal oil filter will trap down to about 15 Microns and the thought is that any particle larger than 5-10 Microns can cause engine damage. But for a full flow filter to trap 5-10 Micron's the output flow is reduced too much. So when you T off and super filter thru a restrictive 1-2 Micron filter, the majorty of all the oil will go past the T. These systems are not cheap but do pay for themself in PROLONGED Oil change intervals on large fleets. There are fleet vehicles that go 1,000,000 MILES with no TOTAL oil changes by just super filtering the oil and adding just the oil removed in the filter replacement. They do have a sample pulled and tested by companys like Blackstone Labs. If the tests say the oil is within spec's they do NOT dump it. Read some more here: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/filters-and-by-pass-systems/by-pass/filters-and-mounts/single-remote-bypass-kit/?code=BMK21-EA

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've always wondered about the magnets on filters... I can understand the drain plug to keep particles out of suspension that settle out, but on fat moving oil I wonder if particles can get dislodged then, now being magnetized, reattach themselves via their newly found magnetic character, to places that would never normally have and should NOT have metal particles attached...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
as long as it works for you... the 400 doesn't use the same filter but i think the filter should catch most of these particles and it it doesn't the oil magnetic cap should do. but any extra measures to make you feel safer are good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts