Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you downshift and the engine dies, then you pull off the road bewildered cause there's no codes , starter won't turn but headlights dim like they're sposed to, it don't say chek, buuut you got a suspicion, so ,, some duct tape and plastic strip ties and you are able to get it home .

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
I’m going to go put a 12’’ strip of Duct Tape on the bottom of my seat this very moment.
I hope it don’t hurt when I remove it🤣

·
Premium Member
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m going to go put a 12’’ strip of Duct Tape on the bottom of my seat this very moment.
Bwaaahahahaha, (almost spilt my refresin beverage)

·
Super Moderator
12,520 Posts
You don't already carry duck tape?

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
You don't already carry duck tape?
Yes but an extra strip under the seat will be there just for this fix ... I’ve got an old AAA Card with a couple wraps of Duct and Electrical Tape in my tool roll.

·
Premium Member
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info. I plan on disabling the switch so I can stop, put sidestand down with engine running so I can get something from my topcase and not have to restart the engine
My 15 has a resistance in the switch the ecu looks for, if it aint there the bike don't start, so, ya gotta mash the switch shut instead of just jumperin it or disconnectin it.

·
Administrator
20,656 Posts
Great info. I plan on disabling the switch so I can stop, put sidestand down with engine running so I can get something from my topcase and not have to restart the engine
Just always remember to engage park brake, you don't want the burgie to roll off the kickstand..
And this is the reason I do not recommend anyone doing this without thinking about roll out. My 650 will roll enough that I struggle to hold it with my feet and must hold a brake lever when its cold and idle is high. When cold without the parking brake set I know it would push off the side stand.

On the many threads about bypassing the sidestand switch, I recommend doing a relay with a micro switch on the parking brake lever. With the parking brake locked the micro switch triggers the relay to fake report the sidestand is down and the engine will run with the stand down. If the brake is not set the bike will not run.

·
Registered
151 Posts
And this is the reason I do not recommend anyone doing this without thinking about roll out. My 650 will roll enough that I struggle to hold it with my feet and must hold a brake lever when its cold and idle is high. When cold without the parking brake set I know it would push off the side stand.

On the many threads about bypassing the sidestand switch, I recommend doing a relay with a micro switch on the parking brake lever. With the parking brake locked the micro switch triggers the relay to fake report the sidestand is down and the engine will run with the stand down. If the brake is not set the bike will not run.
Understandable regarding micro switch but here on the flats of Manitoba I am safe. I had by-passed the kickstand switch on my Silverwing and never had an issue with rolling. In a more mountainous region it could be an issue

·
Registered
357 Posts
Understandable regarding micro switch but here on the flats of Manitoba I am safe. I had by-passed the kickstand switch on my Silverwing and never had an issue with rolling. In a more mountainous region it could be an issue

I didn't think there was a season long enough to warrant even buying a motrobike in Manitoba.😁

Consolation is that you never wear out your tyres.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
This has nothing to do with the terrain.

The issue is that the clutch is partially engaged when the engine is at high-idle (and doesn't absolutely disengage at normal idle speed -- it's a wet clutch, so there's always some drag). This could possibly push the bike forward, allowing the sidestand to fold up, toppling the bike. On the Silverwing, there may be a broader margin between idle speed and significant clutch engagement.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Silver wing has a standard centrifugal clutch and variator like the B400.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I plan on disabling the switch so I can stop, put sidestand down with engine running so I can get something from my topcase and not have to restart the engine
And then set off again, forgetting to kick the stand back up?:oops: ---Seriously, I've seen it happen.(though not on a Burgman,yet)
Bad consequences at next left-hander.
If your're going to do it, then at least add a warning light.

·
Premium Member
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And then set off again, forgetting to kick the stand back up?:oops: ---Seriously, I've seen it happen.(though not on a Burgman,yet)
Umm, I might have done that once or thrice, when distracted by a pretty wimmin, or a nekkid burgm--- something else. The sidestand comes back with no problem "so far. Maybe there have been some changes to length and angle that have reduced the severity since the time the lawsuits were common for harleys that had far foreward and low lean sidestands needing a tin can under the foot when you parked.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have been riding since 1978 and have never had a light to remind me the kickstand is down. We try to idiot proof everything these days. I feel safe not having a light to remind me. To each their own, just do not call me wrong for not agreeing........

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry, my reply was not directed at you specifically but at the biking world in general.
And, as you say, to each their own.

[EDIT]
I was a design engineer in an earlier life. I became a great believer in "Sod's Law". That's the one that says that if something CAN go wrong, then it WILL go wrong.
I was taught to try to prevent that happening.
I suppose that I do tend to be on the cautious side.

·
Premium Member
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, my reply was not directed at you specifically but at the biking world in general.
And, as you say, to each their own.

[EDIT]
I was a design engineer in an earlier life. I became a great believer in "Sod's Law". That's the one that says that if something CAN go wrong, then it WILL go wrong.
I was taught to try to prevent that happening.
I suppose that I do tend to be on the cautious side.
yup, sod's last name was murphy I believe, and I agree, if it can it will, and usually at the worst possible time.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
N=1...When I was a kid we didn't have a car with seat belts until after I learned to drive, and not a one of us was killed or injured in a crash. But now I buckle up every time I get into a car.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Most of the above arguments were covered when....

This is a problem that was sorted(?) back in 2010...........

Idling with the Side Stand down

1 - 20 of 23 Posts