Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, my wonderful day of riding ran amuck when we were pulling out of a country gas station on an incline. My wife's PCX only has a 1.4 gallon tank gas tank, so I carry a spare 1.5 liter gas can in my top box for long stretches. Well, it was time to fill her up, so we pulled into a little country gas station that is on a slope. Because we thought about it after we had passed the station, we came in from one side with the intention of going out the other once I had filled her tank. As it turned out, some chicken farmer had come through the station a bit earlier and had dumped about 20 pounds of chicken feed all over the exit. From a distance it looked like loose gravel. I can negotiate loose gravel by going slowly through it. Not so with chicken feed, which is mostly ground up corn with something oily mixed in. When my bike hit the chicken feed, even without me adding any acceleration, which I eventually had to do to try to save the bike, it started sliding sideways down the hill! I put my feet down (both feet, on which I had my lug sole motorcycle boots) but they slipped right out from under me. As I felt the bike going down I tried to open the throttle to try to get some traction, still to no avail. Then I tried to 'cut a donut' to try to clear the feed at least for the back tire, but still to no avail. Alas, the bike was going down and there was nothing I could do about it. I rolled off of it as it fell on its side, so I was fine. My new Givi windshield, unfortunately, was not. It took 3 of us to get the bike upright because the ground was so slick. We rolled it to an area clear of the feed and looked over the damage. The windshield took the major brunt of the fall, so I had pieces hanging off of it and the windshield was cracked almost all the way through it from the right side to within a few inches of the left side. Luckily I carry good old duct tape on the bike all the time. We taped it together for the ride home, and now it sits in my carport like a beat up, abused scooter. I have ordered a new windshield for it, which will take who knows how long. When I got the original one we had to wait for it to be sent to the online dealer from Givi in Italy. Maybe I will super glue the old one together and duct tape over it until the new one arrives. The moral of the story is, don't mess with chicken feed. That stuff will 'mess you up', as Arnie would say. It doesn't act like anything I have ever run over or through.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Holy greased marbles, batman! New item permanently engraved in the back of my mind to avoid at all cost!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I think Mel should look forward to this.....................................Then he will be thankful for chickenfeed.....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Terrible luck, sorry that you had to go through that. One morning I was going to work when I came upon a very strange accident. There were two lanes turning left at a light and in the inner lane there was a truck carrying live chickens to market. The load wasn't secured properly so when the truck turned left the load of chickens went right and landed on and buried some poor sod who was in the outer or right lane in a Ford Pinto! Try explaining that to your boss as to why you won't be coming in to work! At least none of the chickens hit the rear bumper and caused the Pinto to explode...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
" I have ordered a new windshield for it, which will take who knows how long. When I got the original one we had to wait for it to be sent to the online dealer from Givi in Italy."

Have you thought about giving Kiwi Dave a try ? He's a member here and great to work with.
https://sites.google.com/site/suzukiburgmansidecaseracks/home

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, no I haven't. I thought he only handled 650 parts. So far, I haven't found anyone who could beat the $153.00 price plus free shipping that I got at Sporttour.com. I usually go to them if I find one better priced and run the numbers side by side. The free shipping beats most other stores.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Kiwi Dave can get anything Givi and has free shipping also. I got a Givi airflow for my Silverwing from him. The first time I dealt with him I was trying get just the bottom part for my Givi airflow that got broken when I got hit by a car and I was trying to save money. Below is part of our emails back and forth.

Me to him.
" Again thank you for your patience with me in trying to get thru this as cheaply as possible. I know I can be a pain in the a%s, but money is tight after all I've had to put out to get this thing back on the road again."

And his reply to me.
"The whole reason that I am about is to save as much money as I can for fellow scooter riders as I was sick of being ripped off. If it was a Suzuki Burgman that you were asking about I could answer you immediately but as it is a Silver-Wing I will need to do a bit of home work."

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Actually, no I haven't. I thought he only handled 650 parts. So far, I haven't found anyone who could beat the $153.00 price plus free shipping that I got at Sporttour.com. I usually go to them if I find one better priced and run the numbers side by side. The free shipping beats most other stores.
I think you will find that I am cheaper and generaly you do not have to wait Mel. My Screen Prices Givi USA will ship product for me with out receiving and clearing payments first.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! That is a great price! What I have marked on my tablet as your site showed a higher price than that. I guess I had better update my links. I love this. Our own store right on the forum!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Sheez Mel! I guess it was a good thing I had to stay home and to sell my sports car instead of riding with yall. Otherwise we would both be ordering new windscreens. I have done enough touch up on my scooter for the year.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune and glad the wife didn't hit the feed to!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My wife didn't hit the feed because she went around it, but when I came to that place a car was coming in right there because the driver had seen the mess too. In fact, he was on my side, which forced me to go on the wrong side of the exit, which is right where the mess was. She had already gotten on the road, so I was trying to play catch up while being careful about exiting that place. I think I would have made it had I not had to stop to yield to a car that came over the hill as I was coming out of the mess. And yes, Steve, if you had been following me you would have had the same problem.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to let everyone know, I just received my new windscreen today. That was quick. The accident was Sunday. I ordered the replacement windscreen that night. This is Wednesday. Unbelievable turn around time! Here is a thumbs up to Sporttour.com!! I have never gotten a 2 1/2 day turn around....and I just remembered that there was no mail on Monday. Wow!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Next time......watch out for chicken s h i t!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just wanted to let everyone know that I changed out the broken windscreen today. It took me a couple of hours, 1 blister, 1 cut thumb, and a bruised hand. Unbelievable! I did the previous change out in 10 minutes! I had one particularly bad screw. Taking it out was a problem, and putting in the new one was a real pain. I'm not sure what the problem was, but I lost 3 Wellnuts/expansion nuts to the tupperware up front somewhere. Finally I looked for another screw that was a little longer and it worked. Then I lost another item and had to find a replacement for it. Finally though, everything was complete and I only had to pick up my mess. I spent the next 20 minutes figuring out where everything had come from and slowly putting things back (basement, tool box upstairs, my office, the outside shed) in order for the next go around....I hope there isn't one with this windscreen!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts