Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I almost hate to ask. Can a motorcycle tire shred while riding? What would cause a complete tire failure? What happens? Can the bike maintain control long enough to stop safely? How concerned should I be about a tire failure?

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I guess it depends on the type of tire failure, for the most part, a nail puncture will deflate the tire gradually and you will definitely notice that something is wrong through the rear end handling as the tire loses air.

A tire shredding like a truck tire, well that's stretching a bit but it can happen.
your riding skills will hopefully save you if that ever happens.

good luck....

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
A complete blow-out at high speed?

Rear: you can maybe ride it out;

Front: review your sins and come up with some good stories;

The good news is that sort of thing is very rare, in 55 years of riding on the street I have never had a catastrophic tire failure--then again I always buy quality tires, and generally replace them before the tread is worn all the way down to the wear bars.

A simpe puncture that leaks out relatively slowly will wake you up when the nike starts to feel "squirrely"; pull over and call for a ride....

·
Registered
352 Posts
I DID get the Roadside Assistance added to my insurance for my Burg. :)

I don't know for sure if that includes spatula and shovel service... :sad:

·
Registered
753 Posts
I almost hate to ask. Can a motorcycle tire shred while riding?QUOTE]

Had it happen once. I was riding my 1966 Ducati 250 Monza on the freeway in Houston and my front tire came apart on me. It was a ribbed tire (remember those?) and it separated enough for the tube to poke though a bit and then it blew. Even though it was like pushing a loaded wheelbarrow though a muddy field I was able to get it off the freeway and even (slowly!) ride it back home. No damage except for a bit of a laundry problem for my mother.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Probably 99+% of the time it will be a slow leak with enough time to ride it down . On the rare occasion you lose all the air all at once , at high speed it can be a problem . Your bike will feel very heavy and snake like mad , and you may be in for the wrestling match of your life trying to keep it upright . If and when it happens don't panic , just do your best to ride it down to a stop . If you are riding and suddenly the bike feels heavy and unruly don't continue riding it , get it off the road ASAP .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
With modern tires, it doesn't happen often, save for the occasional puncture, which is usually a slow leak. I had a rear go out once, quickly deflated. It felt squirrelly all of a sudden, but it was on a small bike. Larger bikes would just feel heavier.

Most important thing, as in all emergency situations, is not to panic. Let off the gas, no brake, put on your flashers, and slowly guide yourself off to the side of the road. (Mental note - practice turning on and off all your buttons, without looking at them, gain muscle memory as to where they are located)

I've often stopped, in the middle of a ride, sometimes leading 20 bikes, to check my tires. A little squirminess, a little heavy in the turn... Doesn't hurt anyone to pull over and check.

And just a personal thing I do... Before going into a high-speed run in the twisties, I do a little side-to-side weave, just to make sure the tires and bike feel like they should before I commit to set of curves way up in the mountains.

The more you know...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
As others have said best to get good tires and replace them when they need it. Riding them till bald is very risky as is riding with any type of damage. If the tire starts showing cracks in the sidewalls it is time to replace.

·
Administrator
18,726 Posts
I have had a 90 degree valvestem break on the front in a corner with a BattleAx on front of my Burgman. The bike wanted to stand up so I let it and hit the rear brake hard to stop. Last year I was riding home from work and hit some of the metal screw in drywall anchors that have a nice center hole for a screw. The rear 155/65 HR 14 CAR tire went flat NOW. Back end got real squeerly and I do not know how I kept it up for a 1/4 mile till I could pull off. I had a solid Jersey Bearier 6 inches to the left of the fog line and a bunch of Pi$$ed off car drivers to my right side....

Like said above, do not panic.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
RoadSki, I've been riding for 44 years and have experienced several punctures. It's nearly always the rear tire that picks up stuff, usually thrown up by the front tire. I was nearly killed by a slow rear puncture around 30 years ago. I narrowly managed to avoid going under the wheels of an oncoming truck as the bike snaked viscously down the road at 65 mph on a long fast bend. Just held it and went off the road. It was a truly brown trouser moment! Ever since, I've used Ultraseal in all my cars and bikes, we used it in the military too. It's works. My brand new Burgman 400 picked up a huge square nail around 4 inches long but 8mm in thickness without me even knowing. It was in the rear tire. I continued to ride at speed for around 150 miles before I found out I was punctured when I stopped for gas! On checking the rear tire pressure, I'd lost no pressure at all. The Ultraseal had done it's job. It kept me safe! Now usually, Ultraseal will make a permanent repair to the tire after you remove the nail or whatever it is, but this time (the one and only time) it's didn't seal the leak when I remove the nail. I suspected it wouldn't as it's a hole that's way too big for Ultraseal to fix. It'll only fix upto 6mm holes. Ultraseal has worked for me around 10 times over the years in keeping me safe and permanently plugging up punctures. It's the safest bike aid you can add to your bike. It's easy to install too. Get some is my advice. Don't go for slime. It only has an 18 month effective fix life in the tires. Ultraseal lasts the life of the tires so is worry free. Forget plugs, they won't keep you safe while riding. You can only use them if you are lucky enough to stop in one piece and they are not meant as a permanent repair, but some do use them that way, but it's risky.

·
Registered
857 Posts
My question is more who do I call if its at night and I get a flat.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have 24hr road side assistance. I just call my insurance agent's office and if they are closed my call is routed to road side america and they send a trailer out to pick me up. thats what happen last time. I was fortune enough to have a Suzuki shop with in 50 mi. The first 50mi of towing is on the insurance card.I think I am charged per mile after that. If you do not fell safe where you are RSA will send somebody to be with you. They will stay on the phone for as long as you need them to.

·
Administrator
18,726 Posts
I have AMA roadside service. They too will stay on the line with you till help arrives if needed. As with any roadside service, do not expect a fast responce during the "Crash heavy" Rush Hour(s) as all law enforcement calls take priority.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The AMA roadside assistance also works when you're in your cage. But it doesn't work if you drop the bike and it ends up in an impound lot while you visit the level-1 trauma center for a day or 2 (don't ask me how I know). Still, I think AMA is a first-class organization doing important work and I'd be a member even without the roadside assistance benefit and nice monthly magazine.

·
Registered
486 Posts
A few years back, someone had a video up...helmet cam. His wife was on a 400 as the front tire let go at about 50...in about two seconds she lost control, went down, and got an ambulance ride out of it. No permanent injuries.

Nothing is one-hundred-percent sure. Best answer is, first, make sure your tires are in good shape, and then, all your gear, all the time. The only day you should wear your helmet and body-armor is the day you need it...but there's only one individual who knows which day that is, and it's not you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quantum Mechanic. Did you add the ultraseal yourself or have it done? I'd like to learn where or how and try it ASAP. I have somehow stayed up twice and am afraid of the 3rd time. I have OEM tires on my 04 650. Thanks for the advice and any how-to details.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
About a month ago, while riding my 09 Vespa GTS 250e at about 45 MPH, the rear tire lost all air, no warning! It was a tricky situation, but held it under control. Earlier that day I had been riding at 70 MPH, and if the tire had blown at that speed, don't think I could have held it under control.

I had just bought the Vespa, which had only 1880 miles on it. I had two new tires ordered, but they hadn't arrived yet. In inspecting the tire, it appeared that it had a tread separation, no nails, objects, etc.

On my motorcycles I've always used Ride On, which supposedly seals and balances bike tires. Never had a flat while using that stuff. Time to order some for the Vespa.

The Vespa has 12 inch tires front and rear, but the bigger Burgman tires would be a definite advantage.

My advice is don't ride with old or worn out tires!:violent1:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts