Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Frank. I've been thinking real hard about getting a burg. 51 years old, retired Navy, in Jacksonville Fl. Limited riding experience, just scooters (with gears) when stationed in Bermuda. So today, I go look at some Burgs at the dealer (2014 models). My question is; "Why did the 650 have less leg room than the 400"? I mean, the with the 650, my knees were very, very close to the center piece (glove box?). Meanwhile, the 400 seem to have more distance between my knees and the glove box. By the way, I'm 6'1 237lb, with a 32-33 inseam. Before I"m told to go used, I'm not seeing any real good deals. For instance a 2009, 4220 miles for 7983. That seemed excessively high to me when blue book value was only 4 something. I did look at a 2013 (new) that did not have a close to knee problem. OK, last question, the 2013 was at another dealer who did not have 2014. Both wanted 10,999. Should I tell or try to talk the 2013 dealer into coming down 1 thousand dollars? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Driver leg room for taller riders is a problem with the older models too. The quick fix for that is to remove the driver's back rest.

·
Registered
12 Posts
show them this "bike facts" and get them to come down on the price. they will cause they don't want that inventory just sitting in their showroom

·
Registered
35 Posts
Frank,
Bought my first bike of any kind two years ago. A 2003 Burgman 650. It has had its issues, but is a great bike and a great ride. I am 59 & 6'3" with longer legs than you and found the 400 to be to small for my liking. If you want additional legroom I would advise two things: 1st - remove the standard backrest and install a Best Backrest www.bestbackrests.com The best backrest will provide an additional few inches of valuable legroom; 2nd - add foot pegs to the bike to allow you to stretch out when riding. I use mine all the time.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'd be cautious starting with Burgman 650 - these are big, heavy and powerful machines and lots of newbies get into trouble and provide fine deals for the experienced riders/buyers.

Original owner paid $15k out the door for my 2009 Exec in 2010

I paid $7k with 4,000 KM on it in 2011 after he dumped at slow speed on the grass and broke his collar bone...not a mark on the bike.

I'd say snag a 400 to get started.

If you are tallish, strong and careful....you can get up to speed on the lardy but go carefully.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I generally don't believe in buying new, especially for new riders. You will drop it at some point. It just happens. Keep looking for used bikes.

Personally I'd suggest the 400 till you get your sea legs as it were. No use getting a battleship when a destroyer will do nicely. I rode the 400 only for seven years and still do almost daily. It's the Swiss Army bike of MCs, does everything well. A butt bumper extension will give you a backrest and a couple inches of leg room.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
The classifieds on here has a few 400's none look close so would be a road trip, but if you are patient the deals are out there. One of he first things I did on my 650 was replace the seat rest for exactly the same reason.

Good luck ,

Btw the 400 is also easier to maintain if your going to do your own maint. No tbs, a simple cvt , easier access to things in general. But I did enjoy riding the 650 more, 400s a good scoot, just preferred the 650 to the 400, but it was too heavy For my wife.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Driver leg room for taller riders is a problem with the older models too. The quick fix for that is to remove the driver's back rest.
Plan B is to add a backrest extension. That moves the butt pad up and aft, giving another inch or two of leg room. It also gives very welcome lumbar support.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
182 Posts
fstubbsjr:
There are a lot of scooter choices on the market. If a Burgman scooter does not fit your body type, leg length, or pocket book there are other options available. The Burgman 650 Executive is the flagship of the Burgman line up. It carries a premium price tag. You can purchase the standard 650 for considerably less than the Executive model and of course, the 400 Burgman is much lower in price than and has a bit more leg room. It is a good idea to purchase something you are comfortable with and that you can operate without feeling awkward about it. The prices you gave on the scooters did seem high. Florida is the warm weather/sunshine capital of the USA.. Finding a reasonably priced scooter should be easy.

If you are looking at the 600 cc class, check Honda Silverwing, or BMW, but for the quality, and comfort my money will remain with Suzuki. By all means, buy something that you can handle. The 650 is as big as they get and the scooter market starts at 49 cc. There is something within that market size that is perfect for you.

It would be great to add another member of the Burgman family, but even better to add someone that will actually ride what they buy for the sheer enjoyment of it....... Regardless of who makes the scooter.

·
Registered
220 Posts
There are too many good used 650's and 400's for sale to purchase a new one. Since you are undecided about which one to buy I would defiantly be looking for a used one. In the DFW area you could be riding a nice low mileage 2008-2009 in the $4000 range. Buying new could be a $2000-$4000 dollar mistake, you do know the resale on these scooter is low and the newer they are the harder they are to sell. I'm your size, but with a 31" inseam and have no problem with my knees hitting the dash on my 650, but them again were all different. I'm 69 years old and have no problem buying used, I'm probably on my 50th bike and probably haven't spent over $1000 on all of them over 45 years for repairs. Good Luck.

John

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Frank, take a look at Craigslist Jacksonville. There are some nice bikes (400s and 650s) at decent prices. Great to have another Jacksonville member. Let us know what you get.
Tim

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just checked Craigslist in the St Augustine area and there's a 2013 Burgman 400, low mileage (think it said around 3,000)for $5,000. Might still be under warranty.

I'm in the market for a burgman and I keep a watch on both scooterfinds.com and cycletrader.com on a dailey basis -- just waiting for my motorhome to sell and then will move quickly to buy a Burgman. I can tell you there are many great deals on used 400's and 650's in other parts of Florida. It's a real buyer's market right now.

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Everyone!

I'd like to thank everyone for respponding so quickly. I have been looking at Craigslist, and indeed did see the items in Saint Augustine. Before, I never really considered some of those used options because I primarily focused on the 650. So now, I think I have some question TO ASK MYSELF; What will my typical riding habits consist of? Local or long distance and or daily commuter? Though I am sure we all see ourselves touring across the world, the reality, at least for me, would be short 5-10 to the store, maybe work at 25-30 one way (70% highway, this wouldn't be often because of dress requirements), and maybe just 1 or 2 trips up to Georiga (90 miles) a year. I am beginning to that maybe, the 650 could be overkill for my purposes, but I really wanted it so much. In addition, I did not account for addition cost such as Winsheild, seat changes?, maybe top box, and last certainly not least, safety equipment. Also, I know the Wife will probaly not ride with me, so perhaps the 400 will be adeqaute. In addition, I suppose insurance cost could be reduced as compared to a 650. Now, having said all of that, I will honestly give the 400 a very hard look (both new and used). I suppose that at worse case; If I love it I could keep it, If I hated it I could sell or trade it in. OK, one last comment, there appears to be alot more 400s in Jacksonville than 650s, so price should be comepetive. Thanks again everyone, as I have questions I will post.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The 400 is plenty adequate for one up riding including cross country touring. Mine has been on a 1,600 miles trip and I've done many 300 to 400 mile days on it.

Insurance for my 400 is a little less than for my 650 but not much.

·
Administrator
18,752 Posts
Retired means tired again.:D Welcome aboard Swabbie.:)

We have a member that took his 400 from NJ down into Mexico, Not NEW Mexico but way south of the border.

My next bike may still be a 400, but Daboo need'ent hold his breath. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Welcome Frank. I hadn't ridden in 25 years before I bought my 07 400. I have the same inseam as you do. I changed out the backrest & windshield & rode it for 46k+ before selling. Bought a 650 which is a bigger more power ride. I agree with the rest a 400 will suit you fine. Shouldn't have any problem finding a lightly used 08 or newer one in your area. ;)

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
I got my 2006 650 in '08 with 1200 miles for $5K. I took the motorcycle safety course, and have never had a problem with it, either with its size or 638 cc engine. I love it. You just have to respect it and know your limitations. :) There isn't a LOT of difference between the two, the 650 just gives you 'bragging rights'... ;)

I'd be cautious starting with Burgman 650 - these are big, heavy and powerful machines and lots of newbies get into trouble and provide fine deals for the experienced riders/buyers.

Original owner paid $15k out the door for my 2009 Exec in 2010

I paid $7k with 4,000 KM on it in 2011 after he dumped at slow speed on the grass and broke his collar bone...not a mark on the bike.

I'd say snag a 400 to get started.

If you are tallish, strong and careful....you can get up to speed on the lardy but go carefully.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Honestly Frank, the 400 sounds like the bike for you. It was designed as a commuter, but is so much more. You can easily wear a suit underneath your protective gear and stow it all away in the trunk when you get to work! I do it every day.

Please don't think of the 400 as a lesser bike, its not. They both have their strong suits and I love each for them. You will really appreciate the ease of handling, less weight, bigger trunk and better economics of the little burg. Plus you'll have something to trade up to should you find it satisfying and gain some experience. The 400 is plenty of bike.

Good luck on your decision. You'll be happy with either. Take this advice for what it's worth... Two cents.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Another quick fix is to get a gel cushion with a black sheepskin cover. This will raise you up at least two inches and be much more comfortable for long legged riders.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts