Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to do the 600-mile service on my just-purchased 2012. The dealer claimed he did it but I suspect all he did was change the oil. I'm going with 10-40 synthetic for the tranny and synthetic gear oil for the final drive.

What coolant is advised? I use Prestone pre-mixed 50-50 in my cars.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
If only 600 miles on it why are you changing the coolant?

·
Registered
81 Posts
+1 on the coolant, also don't use synthetic o
In the crank case until the rings have fully seated.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Why not do the service per the owners manual and Suzuki's recommended fluids?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only has 600 miles but the coolant is two years or more old. Good point on not using synth for a few more miles. What is the rule on these engines for seating the rings? The Beemers I'm used to will sometimes go 15,000 before the rings seat and they stop burning oil. I intend to follow the Suzuki recommendations on the work to be done, but Suzuki fluids are made by someone else anyway so I see no need to put that brand in the bike, probably at a premium price.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whatever engine oil you choose, make sure it's rated JASO-MA. The Burgy has wet clutch utilizing crankcase oil.
Good point. Thank you. The engine oil was changed by the Suzuki dealer before I Bought it so I don't plan to change it now.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Prestone pre-mixed 50-50 works fine in the bikes. That is what I am running in mine.

Any antifreeze that is silicate free and safe for aluminum engines will work. However check the bottle label because some antifreezes are not compatible with each other so you may need to do a flush to get any trace of the old antifreeze out. Prestone is compatible with the stuff that came in the bike so you don't have any worry of that.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
i have been using Honda's premixed motorcycle coolant in all my bikes, works extremely well.

I usually wait till the 4k miles oil change before switching to full synthetic oil, but that's just me.

I change my coolant once every year, but I don't think you need to do a coolant change on a new bike with only 600 miles.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have been using Honda's premixed motorcycle coolant in all my bikes, works extremely well.

I usually wait till the 4k miles oil change before switching to full synthetic oil, but that's just me.

I change my coolant once every year, but I don't think you need to do a coolant change on a new bike with only 600 miles.
It's a 2012 that was previously titled, so the coolant hasn't been run much, but has to be at least two years old. It seems prudent to me to change it, but if the consensus here is that it's not needed, that's good to know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts