Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

· Premium Member
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
1,200 Posts
Yesterday was my first ride ever with a chest protector. This is one of the most overlooked protections that riders ignore. I bought a $49 Alpinestars one that sits in your jacket, but I'm going to come up with some sort of fastening system like elastic straps to keep it in place. It's got plenty of vent holes for air to pass through--I don't even know it's there. I've heard somewhere that there are actually more damages to the front (ribs, organs) than to the back in a fall and yet we all have on back protectors when we ride (possibly because the risk of paralysis is so terrible). I've always used either Icon or Bilt knee & shin guards too, usually wrapped over my pant legs when commuting, but now I just put them on over my long johns but under my draggin' jeans or my motorcycle specific pants. So yes, gloves, boots, jacket with all its armor, chest & leg protectors & the riding pants have hip protectors and of course a Shoei helmet. I'll never ride without all those. My neighbor went down in front of his house when someone pulled out in front of him. There is too much gravel, poor roads, sloppy country drivers and loose dogs around here to keep this place from being real good riding.
I have seen and considered one of those. Wearing the normal gear(for me) of helmet, gloves and riding suit with protectors in place and with a hi vis vest knocks me out of being with all of the cool kids at the local dealership when they have biker type gatherings. I like the idea of the chest protector and reading that is light and comfortable makes me want to get one. To some wearing all of the stuff may seem like a pain but I have done it for so long, riding with anything less is not comfortable for me.

· Administrator
18,251 Posts
Yesterday was my first ride ever with a chest protector. This is one of the most overlooked protections that riders ignore. I bought a $49 Alpinestars one that sits in your jacket, but I'm going to come up with some sort of fastening system like elastic straps to keep it in place. It's got plenty of vent holes for air to pass through--I don't even know it's there. I've heard somewhere that there are actually more damages to the front (ribs, organs) than to the back in a fall and yet we all have on back protectors when we ride (possibly because the risk of paralysis is so terrible). I've always used either Icon or Bilt knee & shin guards too, usually wrapped over my pant legs when commuting, but now I just put them on over my long johns but under my draggin' jeans or my motorcycle specific pants. So yes, gloves, boots, jacket with all its armor, chest & leg protectors & the riding pants have hip protectors and of course a Shoei helmet. I'll never ride without all those. My neighbor went down in front of his house when someone pulled out in front of him. There is too much gravel, poor roads, sloppy country drivers and loose dogs around here to keep this place from being real good riding.
YES!!!
In my last crash I did not have chest protection and I busted all 9 ribs on my left side, 6 in mutable places. I punctured my left lung and bruised my heart and my heart was moved to the right and down 2 mm causing a minor Aorta Anurisem. My stomach was also pushed around and caused a hiatal hernia.

I now have a chest and back protector by Armadillo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=35&v=Z3LzSEBpF2w

· Registered
1,364 Posts
This is the one I use:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-nucleon-kr-cir-chest-protector

Originally meant to be used with tight-fitting full leather track suits, I find that with most of my jackets that fit tightly to the chest it will stay in place. But I also have a jacket or two where the fit is a little too loose and the pad drops down to the abdomen area. So I'm thinking of velcroing elastic bands in an X pattern to hold it in place.

· Registered
2,662 Posts
I've always used either Icon or Bilt knee & shin guards too, usually wrapped over my pant legs when commuting, but now I just put them on over my long johns but under my draggin' jeans or my motorcycle specific pants.
Hadn't really given those much thought. Might have to get a set.

· Registered
166 Posts
I always wear a helmet (Bell Scout Air) and long pants. Other than that I dress for the weather. I know it's not as safe as ATGATT, but convenience and comfort are important. I'm old, and if I die soon that's okay.

· Registered
70 Posts
after the tire hit me and the bike was all over the lane. He did not think I would make it.
I was doing about 65 t...when I seen the car tire flying at me and gunned the throttle to get it behind me As the flying tire cleared the windshield of the car to my right side it flipped and crashed into my front wheel, steering me hard left at 45 degrees in to the barrier.
DB: Where did the flying tire come from? It sounds like a freak accident.

I had a freak accident in 1980. Instead of a flying tire, it was a flying railroad tie. I was on a six lane hwy and I noticed what appeared to be a railroad tie in the left lane on the road ahead. I slowed down a little and moved to the far right lane. Just then a 16 wheel semi passed me on the left doing about 80 mph. He hit the (7-in x 9-in x 8.5-ft) wood plank and sent it spinning into my lane. It hit my front wheel and sent me flying over the handlebars at 60 mph. I turned a somersault, landed on my back and started sliding.

I eventually slid off the road on to the gravel shoulder. The wrecked motorcycle was sliding right behind me. I thought I would hit a barrier and the bike would slam into me. Fortunately I slid to a stop just before the barrier and so did the bike.

Unlike you, I walked away from the accident with just some minor bruises. My protective gear
absorbed almost all the pavement punishment.

· Registered
18 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Well I guess this post is always relevant.

Thanks for the suggestion of Bohn Body Armor - must get some as it's actually hard to find anything in Australia with that much protection in pants.

I always wear Helmet, Gloves, Jacket (one for summer and winter) at least steel cap boots or proper MC boots and typically wear work grade jeans/cargo pants. If I'm going more on the freeway, or a full day ride I will wear my MC jeans with knee pads in them, but for short rides I find it too difficult and annoying to walk in them. Though that Bohn Body Armor just might be the solution.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.