Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
i do my best ATGATT, have had times with jeans/no armor, something can happen anywhere/anytime, no excuses, good boots,
a must, armored pants/jacket, i have full face Arai Signet Tactical/Snell certified, gloves with and without vents
i think the best gear to always have is: a clear, unpolluted MIND. ETOH/Drugs(all kinds) will alter your judgement, that's where
things sometimes go wrong. there will also be times when you are completely in the 'right' and some outside force will put
itself there, that you can't control, but you can with your speed, perception, and clear focused mind.
all the armor in the world will not stop a drunk driver/you or them/from putting you close to the edge
to me, gear is external as well as internal
IMHO
peace

· Registered
330 Posts
I wear just as much protective gear as i can dependent upon the conditions at the time and the length of ride. Never sandals or flip flops. Thats foolish to the max. But i will wear a ball cap to go 3 blocks to the local Stop-N-Rob for a cold 12 pack and a bag of Cheetoes.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
One day in Honolulu, I witnessed the aftermath of a guy on a Burgman 400 with shorts & flip flops get pressed against the curb by a distracted young tourist couple changing into his lane. As I noted that his entire legs & feet had skin peeled right off and bones all in his foot were broken, I also saw that he was hollering in shock--shaking as if he was in a freezer. After seeing that, I don't care how hot it gets--I'd rather sweat than bleed!.

For those that say that they don't need all the stuff to go nearby or at slow speeds, try this:
Wear regular clothes, jog down an asphalt road, and then out of nowhere, at regular running speed, just dive like a base-runner for home plate. Won't do it? Why not? The asphalt is not clay like a baseball diamond and will cut you right up! So if that'll happen at speeds of about 7 mph or so, imagine what just 20 or 30 mph will do in a slide that is nowhere near as controlled & pre-thought out as a slide for home plate?

Something to think about.

· Registered
2,805 Posts
A 650 Burgman is a damm good motorcycle disguised as a Maxi-Scooter. Both wife and I are ATGATT riders and sure glad we were when we got hit by a fully loaded asphalt truck 2 years ago, when you go down be it on a Harley or a Burgman 650 you are dangerously vulnerable and exposed to serious injury, hurt and pain, actually when I think about it we would have been hurt much more seriously had we been riding a Harley or any other cruiser.

We both wear a full face modular helmet (white for more visibility), Olympia 3 season armoured jackets and pants, (light gray and silver for better visibility) full length waterproof sport bike riding boots, full gloves with elastic cuff, in summer we wear the mesh version armoured jackets and pants which obviously keep us cooler.

Of course we carry a full array of rain gear to go on top as well.

· Registered
119 Posts
I wear a white Shoei Multitec (modular) helmet; Aerostich Roadcrafter two piece suit (bright red in color), though I sometimes wear Draggin' Jeans rather than the Aerostich pants; Aerostich deer skin gloves; and Corbin motorcycle boots.

I've always worn a helmet. When I started riding in the early 60s (helmets were not required at that time in CA), I wore a Bell 500TX helmet, a leather jacket and leather gloves, jeans and what ever shoes I happened to have on at the time.

During my law enforcement career and over the years (friends), I saw enough motorcycle related deaths and injuries that encouraged me to wear protective gear whenever I ride.

· Registered
27 Posts
I try to go ATGATT as much as possible. A bit of an oxmoron I know.
I work security so need to be in my uniform for work and have no place to change so it gets difficult.

But whenever I'm riding for own purposes it's ATGATT.

Helmet (no optional here in the UK)
A choice of a few. Top ones are an ARAI ASTRO or SHOEI MULTITEC

Jacket - Furygan Titan Evo
Pants - Furygan Duke
Boots - Furygan Jet D30 Sympatex - or - Sidi Vertebra
Gloves - Dainese Guanto Scout GTX or RST Tractech Evo

EDZ One-piece base layer suit (for summer)
Oxford Layers two-piece base layer suit (for winter)
Knox Mid-layers
Sealskin socks for waterproofing inside boots.

Usually wear a neck gaiter of some sort to keep the wind out. Lightweight one for summer and a heavier fleece or knitted one for winter.

Oh and I just got a HELITE AIRNEST airbag vest. Only had a few days.

· Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
2,792 Posts
ATGATT. But lately been feeling like relaxing from that ATT part just a little... maybe another time. I did go to the store earlier this week on the Burgman without the overpants and really felt naked and vulnerable to road rash. So not really likely to stop that so soon.

In warm weather (anything warmer than 55*F) it's my HJC IS-17 helmet with integrated retractable sun shield, Tourmaster Flex series 2 jacket in either full mesh mode (warmer end of range) or with either the wind liner or solid shell zipped on (cooler end of that range), TM Flex overpant in mesh mode, Summer Elite 3 gloves, Alpine Stars Ridge mc boots. Been up over 100*F in full mesh mode and all of this gear and it works for me.

In moderate to cool weather (32-60*F) it's the same helmet and boots, same jacket with solid shell (higher end of range) and zip in insulation layer (lower end of range), TM Polar-Tex 2 gloves, same overpants with solid shell over the mesh. Also add Turtle Fur neck gator below 45*F.

In cold weather (35*F down to below zero*F) it's the same helmet and boots (these just seem to work for me in all temps), same jacket with solid shell and insulated liner and possibly also a fleece liner under it all, same overpants with solid shell and wind liner and insulation liner, Turtle Fur neck gator, and Gerbing heated gloves.

In rain at any temp not freezing I put on Frogg Toggs Road Toad Hi-Viz jacket and pants over it all. I found that even if my gear may be water proof/resistant it's just much more comfortable and warmer if I keep the gear dry and the FT do just that for me.

I do dress business casual for work and all my gear simply goes on over it so no need to change. Plus my riding gear keeps my work clothes clean. I keep a pair of casual loafers to change into at work but I have once or twice worn my mc boots since they are not obviously mc related (other than one shifter patch on the left boot).

The jacket, pants and helmet are getting close to end of life so have been looking at some options to replace. The helmet will be replaced with another of the very same model. Like this one very much. Likely the jacket will be replaced with a TM Pivot Hi-Viz jacket, and the pants with the TM Venture Air 2.0 pants which both do almost the same as my current gear. I don't really see much really cold temp riding going forward like I've done in the past. Like the below zero*F riding may not happen so much so the different overpants should work out and I can always put on my Frogg Togg pants to do the same as the solid shell would on my current set.

I used to ride into the mid-20s*F with my Gold Wing. Then when I bought my 2005 B650 I started riding in some colder temps and set my personal coldest on my ST1100. AS I get older I find the body doesn't regulate temps as well as it used to so I may back off on the coldest end of the temp scale.

· I'm Retired
8,750 Posts
I've tried to think ahead on my riding apparel needs and get gear that works in as many conditions as possible. I also watch out for closeouts on good quality gear. Yesterday's outdated gear was just a few weeks ago at full price and the latest and greatest. Once the new improved model comes out...it is no longer the latest and greatest and the price drops substantially.

I've been using an Olympia AST2 jacket for several years now. Last spring, I sold it and bought the Olympia Ranger jacket...the replacement for the AST2. There's not much difference in the jackets at all. There's a lot to like about both jackets, but perhaps the two features I like the most is it is waterproof and has flow through venting. A lot of jackets are waterproof, but the vents open up into the waterproof layer. With these Olympia jackets, they designed the vents to open up all the way to your body directly, yet retain the waterproofing. That makes these jackets true 3-season riding jackets.

A year ago, I picked up an Olympia Dakar jacket. The old, out of date, no longer latest and greatest version...for about half the price. I was going on some trips where the 4th season...hot summer...was going to make this worthwhile. Between the two jackets and the liners that came with them, I can ride in anything from 100+F down into the teens. And if it rains, I'm dry. I can't remember when I wore my rain gear last.

For pants, I picked up some Olympia riding pants. I haven't used my old mesh pants in two years since I bought these. I bought something that was two versions back of the current Olympia XMoto2 pants that now retail for $350. For about $200 less. The thigh area has a large panel of textile material that unzips and tucks nicely into the lower leg. You never feel it down there. Depending on your bike and the airflow, you'll get some nice cooling off the open mesh area on the top of your thigh. I didn't understand initially about the way the wind/waterproof liner worked. I do now. It's simple, effective. Olympia includes a separate liner (and I think a quilted insulated liner too, though I've never used it.) If you use riding pants with a built-in waterproof liner, you'll find that your boot soles will catch on the liner. After awhile, the seams get pulled and water leaks through. With this design, that hasn't happened in about 4 years of heavy daily use. And if it ever does start leaking...any rain pant from your local sports or hiking store will work just fine. Lastly, in the summer, the liner isn't making you sweat.

Gloves...I look for the sales at the season's end. Now is a good time to buy summer gloves. The stores want to dump their summer glove stock so they don't have to store them over the winter.

I have heated gloves for the winter. I think if I had to do it again, I'd buy glove liners instead. Why? Because that way I can get the heat I want, and get the glove that suits the conditions best for that particular ride.

Boots...I used to wear utility boots that I got at Big 5 Sporting Goods. They worked, but I find I prefer "motorcycle" boots now. The TourMaster Epic boots are a really good boot that'll give you a nice bang for the buck return. I bought the non-Air version first. They get a little hot in wearing them. I bought the old version "air" boot next. Both are comfortable enough to ride to a hiking trail and then hike in for a few miles.

Lastly, if you're really ATGATT, think about an airbag vest. The Hit-Air is about the same as the Helite version, just less expensive. It works. I dropped my bike once and landed against a curb. As I'm lying there, I'm realizing that I don't hurt. I should. That curb edge that I hit hard should've broken a couple ribs...but didn't. Oh!...it was the airbag vest. I won't ride without it.

Chris

· Registered
45 Posts
I wear an HJC CL-17 FF helmet adorned with 3M reflectorized tape, a Bilt Hi-Viz mesh jacket with armored elbows, shoulders and upgraded back plate, Specter tactical pants with knee inserts, steel toed Wolverine boots and some inexpensive Freeto gloves with reinforced palms and knuckle protectors. I’m looking at upgrading to some real riding pants and a HIT vest. The testimonials I’ve read here and on other fora have convinced me that a vest is definitely a good investment.
I’m learning how to build out my kit through the least painful method - other riders’ experience.

Reactions: Daboo

· Registered
4 Posts
When I commute with my Burgman in short relations through the town I rarely wear any gear. But when I go outside of town on any longer distance ride I am full on equipment - ATGATT!
Leather jacker with all the protectors, leather waterproof Alpinestars shoes, leather gloves, Flip-up Scorpion helmet, and pants with protectors. Rain gear also in the trunk for just in case.

I am considering the AIR-BAG vest for summer rides but it is a little bit expensive (Helite).

· Registered
163 Posts
On my short early morning drives to the gym and/or down the beach I wear minimal gear (summertime it's shorts and t-shirt with sneakers for gym). Modular Helmet and gloves on every ride. In cooler weather or longer rides/trips Armored mesh jacket and Hi-Viz windbreaker, Draggin Jeans, Steel toe boots. Wife dresses much the same. I also carry sets of rain gear.

· Registered
2,792 Posts
I did recently replace my over pants with the TM Venture Air 2.0 pants. These have the wind/rain liner and also an insulated liner. With both liners installed I am finding my legs are still very warm on these mornings that are around low 20s F and upper teens F. As I mentioned before I'll simply add my Frogg Toggs Road Toad pants over it all when riding close to zero F. I also have on order the Alpinestars Air Plus v2 Gore-Tex XCR boots since my A* Ridge boots are no longer reliably waterproof. I expect to be able to still use these vented boots in temps above freezing. Since I don't expect to be riding in any rain when the temp is below freezing I'm not concerned that my Ridge boots are not wp so will continue to use those for the added warmth. However, I find the wind/weather protection of the scooter is so excellent for the legs and feet I can get by with some configurations that would cause my legs/feet to get cold on any other standard mc.

Reactions: BurgyBill

· Registered
1,330 Posts
When I commute with my Burgman in short relations through the town I rarely wear any gear. But when I go outside of town on any longer distance ride I am full on equipment - ATGATT!
Leather jacker with all the protectors, leather waterproof Alpinestars shoes, leather gloves, Flip-up Scorpion helmet, and pants with protectors. Rain gear also in the trunk for just in case.

I am considering the AIR-BAG vest for summer rides but it is a little bit expensive (Helite).
Not trying to be a semantic stickler here, markonnitrogen, but by definition ATGATT means “All of the Gear All of the Time” not just for longer distance. It refers to every time you ride on a motorbike. Over & over it’s been proven that most accidents happen very close to home —“short relations” as you put it. If you think that it’s okay to ride without protective gear on a short trip, by all means, that’s your prerogative but don’t say that sometimes you do ATGATT because that doesn’t make sense.:confused:

· I'm Retired
8,750 Posts
I met a friend on Sunday to get some leftover parts for his BMW that he was giving away. He no longer wanted nor needed them. Why?

He was rear-ended the other day while stopped. Totaled the bike. Bent the massive rear wheel on that F800GT in the process. That's a lot of impact force.

He is normally an ATGATT rider, but before getting on the bike this time the thought ran through his mind that he was only going a mile down the road. Why put on the gear? It's such a short distance. And besides, it was warm outside. And it was only a mile he'd be riding. One mile...

I have another friend who works in the University of Washington Medical Center ER. He showed me a picture of a motorcycle rider's foot who had been wearing sneakers when he went down. It was like someone had shredded everything leaving only the bones. I have no idea if the person ever walked again. But I do know they never intended to be in an accident when they got on their bike that day.

Chris

· Registered
2,792 Posts
I totally agree with the above. ATG may be what many riders do some of the time. The "ATT" part is for those who want to be prepared when (not if) an accident happens since no one knows when that will be nor how far from home. It's not about how far you ride that ATGATT protects you. It is about what happens when you go down regardless when that is or how far from home. Another rider I know totaled his bike just a block from home due to sand he didn't take care to safely navigate through on a turn. He was ATGATT and basically unhurt but his bike was totaled. The outcome would have been very different if not for the gear and he was just a block down the street.

No intention to scare anyone into wearing more gear if they don't want to. Just be aware. Riding on 2 wheels is dangerous. Those who enjoy it safely know the risks involved and are managing those risks to their own satisfaction. No one can prevent an accident from happening (if truly an accident). All we can do is lessen the damage that might be done and accept the consequences for the rest.

If you don't wear gear on any particular ride, don't assume you won't be injured in an accident. If you do wear gear, don't assume you won't be injured in an accident. Damages will differ. It may be that damage is so insignificant to not be worth considering. Or damage may be so great that someone else will have to tell your story. Or it could be anywhere in between. My own "accident" when I low sided my ST1100 damaged the bike right side significantly, but I escaped with nothing more than a rub mark on my knee from the protective padding. My gear was shredded and helmet gouged but I was not even sore at all from it. Without the gear I could have possibly been a vegetable with brain damage. As it was I didn't even know my helmet touched ground.

· Administrator
16,968 Posts
Up here in the Great NorthWet it is not often we have a warm dry day in mid April, we've even had SNOW April 20th a couple years earlier. But April 15th 2015 at 6:10 PM it was 70 degrees and dry. So I thought, lets forgo all the gear for the ride home, 42 miles in stop and go traffic, what could happen.

As I was sitting there in the company parking lot listening to my HD FM radio with my ear buds the traffic reports said no backups or accidents in my route. Without thinking, I pulled my work pants off and put my "Draggin Jeans" on, slid the armored jacket on, doned my modular helmet and put my armored gloves on. All ready had my steeltoe Loggers from work.

At 6:35 and 12 miles from home, I got hit by that flying tire carcus, hit the concrete barrier and slid over 450 feet down the freeway. :eek

YES I got busted up bad and never will fully recover. I've posted pictures of my gear on here with the left side of my jacket shredded ad my helmet scuffed all over and my face shield also scuffed where my nose and chin were. They had to cut my jeans and my gloves off. The ER doc said cutting those Kelvar jeans took a lot of effort.

SO, wear what you want and I'll do the same. But its a bit hard to get sympathy for doing STUPID stuff time and again.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Yesterday was my first ride ever with a chest protector. This is one of the most overlooked protections that riders ignore. I bought a $49 Alpinestars one that sits in your jacket, but I'm going to come up with some sort of fastening system like elastic straps to keep it in place. It's got plenty of vent holes for air to pass through--I don't even know it's there. I've heard somewhere that there are actually more damages to the front (ribs, organs) than to the back in a fall and yet we all have on back protectors when we ride (possibly because the risk of paralysis is so terrible). I've always used either Icon or Bilt knee & shin guards too, usually wrapped over my pant legs when commuting, but now I just put them on over my long johns but under my draggin' jeans or my motorcycle specific pants. So yes, gloves, boots, jacket with all its armor, chest & leg protectors & the riding pants have hip protectors and of course a Shoei helmet. I'll never ride without all those. My neighbor went down in front of his house when someone pulled out in front of him. There is too much gravel, poor roads, sloppy country drivers and loose dogs around here to keep this place from being real good riding.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.