Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

· Registered
1,438 Posts
I have Mountain Lights II. They are just over the ankle height-wise, great support. In this case it was the ankle support that kept my ankle intact. The downside (from my perspective) is that they only come from the factory with Kletterlift soles (Vibram and foam lamination). I sent them back for 'recrafting' and had them put the solid Vibram soles on and repair some of the right boot hardware. I love the result. Now they are like the Danner Mountain Lights I had for 30 years.

If you want more heel height, Danner has loggers in a 14 inch boot. I've found that once you get to the tall boots you give up some ankle protection for flexibility. If the Mountain lights were offered in 14 inch height, it would be like wearing a cast.

The Rally boots do have some shin protection but the ankle itself is pretty flexible. That may not be desirable when you have close to 500 lbs of scooter trying to restructure your foot. I also have found the Rally boots are not waterproof. The Mountain Lights as about as waterproof as you can get in breathable construction.

· Registered
4,739 Posts
To answer the OP's question, wearing full black leather gear on a scooter looks about as appropriate as wearing a full synth suit on a Harley; meh, whatever works is fine, but looks a little goofy.

Most serious maxi scoot riders are sport-tourers at heart, and we adopt the gear for that mission. So think what ST1300, Connie and BMW riders wear. Full synth gear, FF helmets, armored everything. Boots are about the only thing that doesn't necessarily have to be MC ready because we don't need stiff soles to shift. I wear sturdy hiking boots. They're a lot easier to walk in.

Good luck on your search.

Reactions: BurgyBill

· Registered
509 Posts
As soon as we have another gear thread, looking for help.

Does anyone know good pair of MC jeans, with external pockets for inserting knee protectors, which looks like casual jeans and are good for hot days?

· Super Moderator
3,570 Posts
As soon as we have another gear thread, looking for help.

Does anyone know good pair of MC jeans, with external pockets for inserting knee protectors, which looks like casual jeans and are good for hot days?
I use Hood jeans.
They are fully lined with Kevlar (actually woven Twaron) rather than patches held together with denim. Armour pockets are on the inside though.

· Registered
509 Posts
I use Hood jeans.
They are fully lined with Kevlar (actually woven Twaron) rather than patches held together with denim. Armour pockets are on the inside though.
\

There are lots of jeans fully armored with pockets inside. But I'm looking for outside pockets to quickly remove knee guards, without taking pants off!

· Registered
1,438 Posts
Look for carpet installer pants and Blaklader Hevy Duty Canvas workpants. They have pockets on the outside of the knees.

· Registered
93 Posts
shorts, T shirt, brain bucket,slip on Merrells. When it's cooler I will use full face, leather and blue jeans and boots. I do have some snow mobile pants that will make you sweat when it's 40 degrees. I would quit riding if I was required to wear atgatt. it's too hot, and I don't care what anyone thinks or says. How can anyone ride a motorcycle with all that **** leather on, when it's 90 degrees, humid as a sauna and sitting on top of a heat generator? I did years ago, but cannot stand it now. (old age?)

· Registered
373 Posts
The mesh gear mentioned in this thread helps a lot with the heat. I wear a cotton T-shirt and jeans under mine, and I sweat in hot weather and the air coming through the mesh cools the damp clothes -- when moving. But at a stop it is pretty miserable.

I rode in Arizona a couple of years ago, and temps were in the low 100s. I was wearing a mesh jacket, and at a stop light I'd get soaked in sweat. Then I'd get moving, and in that dry environment the evaporative cooling was so efficient I'd actually get chilly for a while. ;)

I do understand, though. But I crashed in 2008, just a little low-side at about 50 mph, but even with gear on I lost enough skin on my leg that if it gets too hot to wear it, I won't ride.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Arizona & Nevada sure were way better of an environment against sweat than here in north Texas & the nearby states are. But living there with little to no vegetation got old. Especially Vegas--at least Phoenix had saguaros & scrub brush on the mountains & cotton, corn & alfalfa fields by my house. Las Vegas' mountains were like looking out on those of Mars. And much drier (humidity & rainfall) than Phoenix. So much so that your nose would get all cracked up inside & bleed. 40% humidity in Dallas suits me fine.

But I'd take heat over the cold any day. My co-worker insists cold is better because you can always add more layers, to which I counter that if you do--guess what? You sweat just as much as you do on a hundred degree day, but your face is still 17 degrees and you barely can move under all that crap! Then you get sick. No sir, barbecues, firecrackers & girls on the beach in the warmer weather sure beats skiing, sneezing and shivering.

As for ATGATT, someone once said, "I'd rather sweat than bleed"....:wink

· Registered
1,438 Posts
\

There are lots of jeans fully armored with pockets inside. But I'm looking for outside pockets to quickly remove knee guards, without taking pants off!
Yeah, but you suggesting workpants and not motorcycle pants!
I fail to make a distinction between jeans and workpants.

Reactions: Garthhh

· Registered
2,308 Posts
I feel naked by comparing my gear to your gears, i only wear a 3/4 helmet and my regular clothes.
Honestly, that's what I wear most days. My regular clothes usually include jeans and a (non-armored) leather jacket though.

For trips beyond my local area I'll armor up, put on combat boots (nylon uppers, fake-leather lowers), and wear my full-face (modular) helmet.

· Registered
5 Posts
Personally, I don‘t get the point of biker jeans. They are way more expensive than jeans, but you can‘t wear them for weeks without cleaning/washing them. So you need several pairs. If you wear them ones a week for fashion and look, ok.

I go either with normal jeans in the city or MC stuff for a tour. Worst case, I put a normal jeans in the trunk and change them at work.

For the original question... in 2005 when I got my B650, the guy in a MC shop asked me why I buy armored clothing for a scooter. I‘m serious. When I told him ‚because this scooter runs 100 mph‘, he thought I was kidding him.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
I was wondering what you guys are wearing when riding your Burgman Scooters? I am coming from riding Harleys in the past and have some leather gear but not sure about boots on a scooter.
Do you suddenly not care if your feet and ankles are horribly injured and may require amputation if you get into an accident just because you're riding a scooter instead of an HD?

I would like to hear from some of you and what you recommend to wear.
I'd recommend a full assortment of safety gear. I'd say "same as you would on an HD" except that HD riders are not really known for wearing safety gear. So, spelling it out, from the head down to the toes, here is what I wear:

• Schuberth C3 Pro Full face helmet
  • Weather-appropriate motorcycle jacket with suitable armour
  • Weather-appropriate gloves/gauntlets designed for motorcycle riding (no skin exposed)
  • Sidi Faenza socks
  • Motorcycle jeans (kevlar-infused preferred). I wear Diamond Gusset Defenders.
  • Daytona Road Star GTX motorcycle boots
  • Rain or cold weather: Aerostich R3 Light suit (over jeans and shirt or warm jacket of some kind)
  • Cold or cool weather: Aerotich fleece jacket (don't remember the model off hand)
  • Cool or cold weather: Powerlet Atomic Skin heated jacket
Personally, I really like having the ability to walk. I am more likely to wear my Daytona boots than I am a proper motocycle jacket on a quick trip to the store or something.

Good luck out there!
ag

· Registered
413 Posts
I think this question is about as individual as it gets. It all about how much risk your willing to accept in your life. Personally, my children are grown and independent so I don't worry about them. I carry a butt-ton life insurance so my wife is set for life if something happens. So, I'm willing to take a little more risk and be a little more comfortable. I always wear a helmet and jacket. Unless I'm just running to the store for something, I wear steel toe boots. Unless it's cold, I don't wear gloves and I don't wear MC pants.

I understand ATGATT and applaud it. But if I see someone in sandals and shorts on a bike, it's all on them. Personally, I'd rather see sandals and shorts with good skills than a geared up fool riding a wheelie doing 70 down the interstate.

Reactions: FLDan
21 - 40 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.