Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The book calls for belt replacement at 14,500, so I take the plastic out of the way to look at the belt, it looks fine, no rot-discoloration - signs of wear- cracks- ect ect. 
So the question comes up --if it an't broke why fix it !
I know it could break-But I also know so could a new one. :?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I think I'd definitely replace it before taking off on a tour or long ride through the boondocks. I'm sure that their mileage estimate on belt life is conservative - the point is that they are asking you to replace the belt before it is likely to fail and cause a problem. If it did fail and leave me stranded, I'd have no one to blame but myself. If you want to chance riding locally with it - that's up to you, and you probably could get many more miles out of it.

The other consideration is that the way these dealers stock parts (LOL), your dealer is unlikely to have one sitting on the shelf when you need it. I'd recommend ordering & buying the replacement belt now anyway, so that you have it on hand when you do need it. Is replacement something you could do at the roadside if the belt fails? If so, I'd maybe carry the replacement belt in the trunk along with any extra tool(s) needed to do the job.

Just my 2 cents. (I'm not a big fan of getting stranded - I'd rather invest in preventive maintenance.)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Randy,

If you have a manual it will show that you need to measure the width of the belt top and bottom .... it may look OK but be worn in its width you may not even notice it ...

I've seen this in my 250 manaul, 400 should be the same ...

Greg ....

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sure hope this bike is not going to nickel and dime me to death.
In 8 months I will have replaced a --- --- brake handle--- one set of tires--- a drive belt--- spark plug...
And the belt cost more then a tire...
That's more then I had to replace on my BMW in a year and a half.
Of course I admit I am having more fun . :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Yeah... But when the BMW does break - and it will eventually, the repair cost will more than make up for the difference. Won't be talkin' nickles and dimes...

I like reading Jay Leno's Garage column in Popular Mechanics. This issue he talks about clutches on the exotic sports cars (those 500 - 600 hp beauties that cost way more than my house). Seems that the clutches typically last only 3 to 5 thousand miles - and it is about a $5000 bill to have them replaced. Now that would be something to whine about... But for the folks who can afford to buy those big toys, it's just nickles and dimes I guess.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Randy, you are correct: the manual says REPLACE drive belt at 14500 miles, but if it measures out ok I'd keep on truckin. A buddy of mine has about 18-19000 miles on his (he rides so much I can't keep up with the milage) and so far no problems. We'll have to measure his the next time we do an oil change or rear drive oil change.

I have a spare HELIX belt hanging out in the shed; got it back in late 80's for my '86 Helix ''just in case''. Anybody with a Helix need a belt?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know a Burg owner who has had a belt snap with less than 10 000 miles on the clock.
I have replaced twice with 27 000 on the clock.
Unfortunatley you can't tell when they are going to go 'TWANG' and snap.
Looking for cracking and other stuff just tells you what condition the rubber is in, what you really need to know is the condition of the re-enforcement.
Usually a man made fibre - Kevlar or the like. This stuff doesn't stretch etc it just snaps when it's had enough and so there is no way of guaging when it will go.
What I do is replace it at the first 10 000 mile service - Don't bin it, keep it on the scooter especially if you go any distance then if you ever have a belt snap at least you have something to replace it with when the recovery/breakdown people arrive or while you wait for your dealer to get you a new one.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
It is an easy job to inspect and measure the belt (see my gallery pics).

As advised a precautionary change at say 10K if you are about to go on a long trip cold be a wise move, better to waste a couple of $$££$$ and change it out in the comfort of your own garage than be stuck by the side of the freeway wasting valuable recreation time!

For those that live in seasonal climes - thats what winter is for, servicing, babying and modifying the bike.

I am still ridin mine at the moment but the ice man - he cometh! :wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
texascycle said:
Just out of curiousity .... what does it cost for a dealer to replace the belt?
I don't think any of our USA members have had one replaced yet.

The 650 will be very expensive because almost the entire machine has to be disassembled. However, belt life is expected to be somewhere between 60,000 miles or the life of the scooter (depending on who from Suzuki you believe). Most of us should never have to replace it.

The 400 will definitely need belt replacements, but not sure at this point how often that will be. It is a much less expensive belt, and the labor will not be as extensive. You could go to a dealer and ask them to give you an estimate if this really concerns you.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
texascycle Posted:
Just out of curiousity .... what does it cost for a dealer to replace the belt?
Up date -I have a spare that a carry now. The old belt looks fine and is within spec's at 17,000 miles.
Did not get a price from dealer but it has to be an under 2 hour job. So I would guess less then 100.
After all, why bother belonging to this forum if I am not going to at least listen to the advice. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts