Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
141 - 160 of 181 Posts

· Administrator
16,975 Posts
Muffs or Hippohands do not work on a 650. Well, they do work but you can not see the mirrors.

• Helpful
Reactions: SemBurg

· Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Muffs or Hippohands do not work on a 650. Well, they do work but you can not see the mirrors.
I agree. They do work but have that one major flaw.

I first started needing more than just warm gloves when I bought my first 2005 Burgman 650. The GW that I rode just before that did really well at protecting my hands at 22-25 F temps... which was the coldest I would ride up until then. I didn't want just heated grips since I knew the back of my hands would still get cold while my palms would be hot. Heated gloves cost more so I tried Hippo Hands.
Like you said, they totally blocked the mirrors. The other bad thing was that the HH at that time (around 2006-2007) were not nearly what they were before and even what they are now. They let way too much airflow in, cheaply made and too many gaps. The first time I tried them the temp on the ride in to work was -5 F and my hands froze. I had to stop half way there to warm them up. So the HH were returned the next day. That's when I spent the $$$ for the heated gloves and have had warm hands since. Now that my AK has heated grips I knew I still needed a bit more than those alone but I was getting tired of plugging in heated gloves so I bought the Kemimoto muffs and those work great along with the heated grips. Only used them down to 7 F last winter but the grips were set to low and my hands were very warm, even a little hot at that, so I know I can ride in sub zero temps with this combination. The mirrors on the AK are on stalks so the muffs do not block them at all. The Kemimoto muffs are not as bulky as the HH were so they might not block all of the mirror view. YMMV

· Administrator
16,975 Posts
Bob, you get snow today?

Our first today. No rides for me!!!

And to keep us toasty warm, some Gluhwein served at 100 degrees F.
Plant Window Branch Snow Wood
Bottle Liquid Glass bottle Alcoholic beverage Packaging and labeling

· Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
@Dave_J , just freezing drizzle so far but the white stuff is on the radar heading this way. No riding today for me either.
Activity for Sunday and Monday... a little at a time.
Christmas tree Christmas ornament Wood Holiday ornament Christmas decoration

That's a 9 ft tree. 'Tis the season!
Today just relaxing and trying to keep warm. High temp was this morning at 6 am at 44 F and dropping from there. Now it's 30 and continuing the spiral down to 19 F by tomorrow morning.

· Administrator
16,975 Posts
I love my house all except a couple things. We have the standard 7 foot 6 inch ceilings on both floors. Built in 1987, the 10 foot ceilings had not come back in style yet. Grew up in old 'Queen Ann' style homes so 12 foot downstairs and 10 foot up stairs. I really love the old Craftsman or Victorian homes but wife did not want one. 48 years together who am I to buck the system? ;)

We do have a large Foyer that is half open to the cathridal ceiling upstairs, 24 feet, and we have had a 14 foot Noble Fir Christmas tree in there but our 2 year old grand son will mess with it.

· Registered
2,308 Posts
As usual, a post office run on the Husky. Weather's a bit cool (for coastal Southern California, which is to say, well, nevermind, it's fine) and the threatened rain hasn't materialized yet.

Thanks for the reminder -- I need to find the little fake tree and its ornaments in the basement so we can get our holiday on.

B200's back to "awaiting parts" status at the shop. The water pump housing itself was what was leaking... replacing all the innards didn't fix it. At least I have spare bikes...

· Premium Member
2,375 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: rjs987 and Dave_J

· Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Sorry about that. I was so intent on getting the bead to seat and then happy when it did that I forgot to take that photo. Just wrap the strap around the center of the tread of the tire and ratchet the strap as tight as possible BEFORE adding any air.

· Premium Member
813 Posts
Very nice write up.(y)
I use the same blue kneeling pad. It used to be optional and has moved up a notch to a "must have" for me.
My last tire change I found a Suzuki dealer that was reasonable. I hate to spend the money, although it sure was more comfortable for me. I wish I had a lift, so I didn't have to struggle getting up from the garage floor. Nice job.

· Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
There was a BIG wind on Friday evening that had high gusts overnight. Winds of 37 mph with more than one gust up to 57 mph here in West Des Moines. We only had one small Christmas tree sitting on our front stoop blow over from it but my son up in Ankeny had 1/3 of his lights on the roof blow down and one string in the middle stopped working. So I rode up today to Ankeny to assist with resetting the lights and replacing that broken string. My son cannot climb a ladder very well. With me getting older it's also getting harder for me to climb up high but I can still do it carefully. No winds today so that was a big help. Temps were about as good as they will be for the rest of the month so it was a good day for it. Temps were around 45 F on the way up and had dropped to 43 F on the way back home. 22 miles one way to get there. 32 miles on the way back for a total of 54 miles. Used the handlebar muffs but did not turn on the grip heat (too warm for that). Stopped at the boat ramp for the Des Moines River on my way back and noted there was some ice on the water near the banks. Lows have been in the mid 20s F and highs around mid 40s F lately. Temps will trend a few deg lower next week and lower still the rest of the month. It may be January before the river ices over completely and is ready for ice fishing.
Sky Water Plant Tire Wheel

· Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Another few shopping trips on the bike today. Temps were around 43-45 F. One trip was 2 miles that turned in to 4. The other trip was 3 miles that turned into 17. So 21 miles today just shopping. You'd all be proud of me. For the second trip I needed to pick up more than would fit under the seat without crunching the Lays potato chips into crumbs so I strapped on a milk crate and put the heavier stuff in that with my bungee net over it to hold it all in. The bags of chips did go under the seat for better protection. I hate it when my chips get crunched.

· Administrator
16,975 Posts
Another few shopping trips on the bike today..................

........................The bags of chips did go under the seat for better protection. I hate it when my chips get crunched.
Back in 2016 I applied for a job at our local Ferd Meyer (Krogers). When the interview was over and they said I could start, they asked me what department I would like to work if I could pick, I said in the aisle of Potato Chips as I wanted to be the guy that smashes the begebers out of all the bags.

• Haha
Reactions: Rusty J and rjs987

· Premium Member
813 Posts
Back in 2016 I applied for a job at our local Ferd Meyer (Krogers). When the interview was over and they said I could start, they asked me what department I would like to work if I could pick, I said in the aisle of Potato Chips as I wanted to be the guy that smashes the begebers out of all the bags.
You still get the job? :LOL:

· Administrator
16,975 Posts
You still get the job? :LOL:
Yes and NO. Got the job but was in the Electronics part of store but I could not do the lifting requirements of Big Screen TV's. So before we did any paperwork it was mutually agreed upon they needed someone else.

I was still recovering from my accident but "Employment Securities Office" (unemployment office) was making me do job applications, 3 per week.

But back to "What did you do...."

Sunday I got my sons 1991 Ninja 500 into the garage and started it up after draining the tank and flushing the carbs. It has sat for 5 years. I will be doing some mod's to it to gain efficiency not Horespower. It will be used to power something like these:
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel Car
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

· Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Didn't do anything with my scooter today, nor yesterday, nor the day before. I was thinking about my AK however. I even went out and looked at it a time or two. Rain happened with temps in the low 30s F at times with snow flurries also at times. Too much chance for slippery roads. Besides, today looking out at the wet roads I am camping out in front of a small space heater bundled up in multiple sweater layers due to having a bit of flu. I know it's the flu because I read the latest news about a chart put out to show what symptoms go with what virus (Covid-19, flu, RSV). Isn't the internet great. All the factual guaranteed true information at your finger tips. Now if only I can locate my alien/ET cousin.

Oh, even though the rain stopped early yesterday the streets are still wet due to humidity hovering between 89-100%! Yep, we get high humidity in Iowa too. But I think the weather is confused. Air should be HOT when humidity is so high and dry when temps are so low. Just seems backwards to me. I haven't even brought out the humidifiers yet and those usually get set up before Thanksgiving.

· Registered
1,434 Posts
Sunday I got my sons 1991 Ninja 500 into the garage and started it up after draining the tank and flushing the carbs. It has sat for 5 years. I will be doing some mod's to it to gain efficiency not Horespower. It will be used to power something like these:
second photo looks like a P38 drop tank

· Premium Member
813 Posts
Didn't do anything with my scooter today, nor yesterday, nor the day before. I was thinking about my AK however. I even went out and looked at it a time or two. Rain happened with temps in the low 30s F at times with snow flurries also at times. Too much chance for slippery roads. Besides, today looking out at the wet roads I am camping out in front of a small space heater bundled up in multiple sweater layers due to having a bit of flu. I know it's the flu because I read the latest news about a chart put out to show what symptoms go with what virus (Covid-19, flu, RSV). Isn't the internet great. All the factual guaranteed true information at your finger tips. Now if only I can locate my alien/ET cousin.

Oh, even though the rain stopped early yesterday the streets are still wet due to humidity hovering between 89-100%! Yep, we get high humidity in Iowa too. But I think the weather is confused. Air should be HOT when humidity is so high and dry when temps are so low. Just seems backwards to me. I haven't even brought out the humidifiers yet and those usually get set up before Thanksgiving.
Rest... Feel better👍🏽

· Administrator
16,975 Posts
Bob, try as best we can the wife and I got Covid-19 4 weeks back. Daughter and grandson are living here and she works Retail. Two weeks ago she was exposed to RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) for hours before they were told the manager had just went to hospital mid shift.

So relax, bundle up, sip warm tea..... we'll still be here

141 - 160 of 181 Posts