Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Just an update. Now the rear tire is expected to arrive Sept 8 and the front tire just showed up at my front door. The date code on the front tire is 0422 so it was made early this year at least (end of Jan 2022).

·
Premium Member
15,253 Posts
Not today, but yesterday, on my C 400 GT, went northerly in NY, for a slight variation of a loop I like, c. 120 miles, around part of the Great Sacandaga Lake:
Map Parallel Screenshot Terrestrial plant Pattern

Here's a 10-minute chunk of coming up to the lake (upper left, just below the lake):

And here's an 18-minute chunk of exiting the lake (top of the loop map):

Reactions: JRoss

·
Premium Member
15,253 Posts
NY ==> MA ==> CT ==> NY:

Went for a just-goofing-off ride today, in an ad hoc 175-mile back-road ride through a few states.

Here's the loop (clockwise):

Ecoregion Map Terrestrial plant Rectangle Parallel

And here's an 11-minute chunk of the ride (a little past the bottom of the loop):

• Wow
Reactions: BurgDanno

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 · (Edited)
Took the front wheel off the AK today and took it in to the Suzuki/Kawasaki/Triumph dealer to get the rubber changed. Simple job. About as easy as on the Burgman 650... maybe even easier. Maybe. Other than I did have to remove the front fender since I didn't want to lift the AK too high.
They only took about 4 hours to finish it and I have the wheel with new rubber in the garage to be reinstalled in the morning.

Only issue was figuring out how to lift the front end to get the wheel off. Found out I could use one of my 3 scissors jacks with a board and a bag of rubber mulch under the center without damaging anything as well as setting 2 bags of mulch on the luggage rack to push the tail down. The AK center stand is way farther to the rear close to the rear swing arm pivot point so needed extra weight to keep the rear tire on the floor. No frame cross bar up front like I had on the Burgman. But, same as I did on the Burgman, I used the other 2 scissors jacks for added support and stabilization under the forks.

Looked like this...

Plant Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel

·
Premium Member
19,084 Posts
just fpr future reference since the ak may be one of my choices for replacing the sixfiddy if it ever dies. wou;d this work?
put a couple blocks under the center stand to raise the rear wheel higher (front locked to left of course ) pop it up on center stand (now higher in the back) loosen tight stuff in the front, put scissors under forks like you got there and turn them a couple turns at a time toll you get it high enough to get the wheel off under the fender. I do this on my honda (still for sale btw) cause the fender is ridiculous !!!!

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
just fpr future reference since the ak may be one of my choices for replacing the sixfiddy if it ever dies. wou;d this work?
put a couple blocks under the center stand to raise the rear wheel higher (front locked to left of course ) pop it up on center stand (now higher in the back) loosen tight stuff in the front, put scissors under forks like you got there and turn them a couple turns at a time toll you get it high enough to get the wheel off under the fender. I do this on my honda (still for sale btw) cause the fender is ridiculous !!!!
That MIGHT work depending how tall those blocks are. The AK is incredibly easy to pop up on the center stand. The first time I put it on the center stand I thought I was putting my wife's Metropolitan up on its center stand! It was that easy. But the problem is that the center stand is also WAY back close to the rear wheel. Which may be why it is so easy to pop it up on the center stand. But that also means it would take a LOT of weight on the tail to lift the front wheel off the ground. That is why I needed something to lift the engine in front of the center stand... and STILL needed the weight in back.

The weight distribution on the AK is almost exactly 50/50 front to back. Perfect for balanced riding and control but requires special treatment to lift just the front end.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Put the front wheel with new rubber back on the AK today. Now for a few short rides to make sure everything still works. Then next Wednesday I'm taking off on my trip to Arkansas.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
Another errand today. A 5 mile round trip to 2 errand stops took 16 miles on the AK. Wanted to do a check ride after the front tire replacement. Checked the front wheel hub and specifically the bushings on each side of the front wheel bearings for heat. The front brake discs were a little more than warm but not much. Was still able to hold my hand on the surface so no different than normal. The bushings were both COLD to the touch right after stopping after a continuous 10 mile run (second stop). It seems all is good with the tire replacement.

·
Premium Member
15,253 Posts
Yesterday, went for a 150-mile lunch loop. This was notable because it was the longest ride I've taken on my three-month-old C 400 GT scooter with my wife as passenger.

Here's the route (lunch stop in Kinderhook, NY), clockwise:
Terrestrial plant Map Rectangle

And here's a nine-minute chunk, near the end of the loop:

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
15,253 Posts
Went for a ride this afternoon, 146 miles. That little sticky-out piece in the upper right is a trip to my local BMW dealer; I went there around noon to sign some paperwork (I paid for an extended warranty):
Map Terrestrial plant Atlas Parallel Rectangle

Here's an eight-minute chunk, near the end of the afternoon. Coincidentally -- I really was just wandering around, and then back to town -- I found myself in the same area as the ride in the post above. So I took the same road, which leads back to Albany, sort of, and is one of my favorites. So here that is again, but this time one-up, not two:

Reactions: Rusty J
101 - 113 of 113 Posts