Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 30,000 miles experience on Darkside with 2007 Burgman 650 (made several posts on this site with pictures regarding that). MY 650 died in NOV - no power to back wheel after 73400 miles (might get it fixed, some indication it is the clutch -- posted about that also).

Anyway, I bought a 2011 Burgman 400 Thursday and plan to Darkside. Would be nice to know a particular tire that has been used. I have searched around on here and all kind of talk about different tires, but hard to read 40 posts about everything and not find any CT recommendations.

So, I would like to see a thread with nothing but tires listed and experience with the tire. DO NOT NEED ANY MORE analysis or discussions about: Do or Don't, Advantages or Disadvantages, Experiences or Lack Of Experience, Do Not put CT on a MC as CT not made for MC, Can't curve as good, Handles slightly different, Need practice and practice with it, etc., etc.

Been there done it - know many folks that have done it and ride hard. NO PROBLEMS. I ride East TN (ever hear of the Dragon 318 curves in 11 miles? many roads like that). I don't knee drag or race, but I do hang off the scooter (Play Racer). NO PROBLEMS.

PLEASE - just keep it to tires you have used and your experience or problems (rubbing, difficulty in mounting and seating the tire on the rim, wear miles, etc.). THANKS

Maybe direct me to a thrad that has that information condensed.

Any Comments on any of these for Burg 400?

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/r...4&s_p=&m_s=3&x_tyre_for=ALL&suchen=View+Tires

In particular this one - symetrical tread and near right size.

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/r...smFahrzeugart=ALL&details=Ordern&typ=R-170600

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Don't know of anyone who has done it on a Burgman 400. There isn't much space for a car tyre on the 400. The tranny case is so close to the standard MC tyre so car tyre will probably not be viable as the profiles are just wrong. From your links, I doubt those will fit. It's probably only you guys in the States that can do that sort of stuff anyway as it's not legal over here.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your repies. So far, no replies from USA folks. :-( I thought sure some folks had done it in USA.

It is too bad your governments seem to be more restrictive than ours and ours is bad enough on some issues regarding personal decissions and maybe not enough on some safety issues. Religion seems to get in the way of common sense over here on personal matters. :-(

Here is a reply I made to a Private Message (copied it for here). Kind of deviates from my original HOPE of only getting Tire Info and not opinions about doing it or not doing it.

I am not going to enter into any arguments or discussions regarding Darksiding.

I am not going to argue or discuss it. However, I will add my personal reasons and opinions. I did it for 30,000 miles on a 2007 Burgman 650. I have posted on other threads regarding my findings.

I do it mainly because it is cheaper to run a car tire (less cost to start with, more mile per tire, say at least 21000 vs 7000 which results in saving of 2 more MC tires over the 21000 miles. That would add $200 $100 each), plus extra $30 on first tire, plus cost of tire changes (that varies here depending on where you take it and is roughly $20 wheel off or $35 wheel on). I just started doing my own changes, so that cost is negligible for me.

The cost factor is also a function of how much you ride - not a big deal if you only use one tire per year.

Performance -- I am well satisfied with the Car Tire handling and I ride in East TN (roads like the Dragon with 318 curevs ain 11 miles). I think in some places it is more safe than a MC tire (wet, gravel, thin surface of mud, and over all stopping -- the tire is flat, there is more area in contact with the road, mpre trwead pattern, and being flat vs rounded it is less likely to start sliding sideways and causing the bike to lean over).

It may or may not handle as good as a MC Tire on curves at hight speed. No scientific tests to say, but I ride moderately hard and on many curvy, steep, mtn roads and some are gravel. I AM SATISFIED as I have never felt any slippage at the rear. I would not enter a MC Race with a Car Tire (would prefer a racing sticky tire).

I cannot say that with my NINJA 500 which has a MC tire (I cannot find a 17 inch diameter tire narrow enough to install on the NINJA). I have felt a slight slip on hard curves a couple times and when taking off from a stop to turn left or right while accelerating a bit harder than I should (maybe).

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know of anyone who has done it on a Burgman 400. There isn't much space for a car tyre on the 400. The tranny case is so close to the standard MC tyre so car tyre will probably not be viable as the profiles are just wrong. From your links, I doubt those will fit. It's probably only you guys in the States that can do that sort of stuff anyway as it's not legal over here.
I have not looked at the clearance -- but I would think the 155 70R 13 would fit.
That 155MM is only 5MM wider (2 1/2 MM off center on each side) unless the profile is that much diifferent on the CT vs the MC T??

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A thread popped up that was started in 2010. It answers my question about it being done and mentions one tire (For 2010).

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/52-burgman-400-2007-model/42256-now-darksider.html
I would still appreciate more info from others using a particlar Car Tire (pleas do not send opinions about Do it or Do Not do it). Been thru all that in many forums and tha tis not a point here.

It also has a link to a Tire Difference Calculator (GREAT).

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Don't know of anyone who has done it on a Burgman 400.
Mech, would you elucidate why somebody wants to have a car tire on the bike. i just racked my brain over this but couldn't find the answer.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please -- Just tire information (these threads get so long with all the information posts that it takes for ever to find which tires are being used and how that tire works as far as any significant problems).

I added to the problem myself by posting my PM answer. :eek:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Mech, would you elucidate why somebody wants to have a car tire on the bike. i just racked my brain over this but couldn't find the answer.
If you Google "Darkside motorcycle" you will find lots of stuff. Most of it will be for Goldwings as that is by far what you will find them on. I have been running them on my GL1800 ever since the OEM tire was trash and I will tell you for a fact that I will never run a conventional motorcycle tire on the back of that bike ever again. My own safety is enough reason for me.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really just wanted a list of tires from folks on this forum that have used a particular tire on a BURGMAN 400 and information about that tire.

Thanks, but not too intersted ina site with general information about darkside for other bikes. Been thru al that before.

Looks like I am not going to get a condensed list with out a lot of other comments about DO IT, or DO NOT DO IT. :(

The threads get so long, you can not find information.

It is nice that people take their time to share information (general information) on their darkside experiences and all other information. Nearly all that have tried darksiding say NO PROBLEM except during installation with seating, etc. and those that have not tried it - who cares what they say (my opinion).

We have been all that many times on other post topics.

Not trying to be a samrt alec (control a topic), just would like to get something condensed.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
Paul, this is YOUR topic and you should have the right to limit what goes in somewhat. But it will always happen, someone will "Poison the well".

There are a few USA members that have Darkside a 07 up 400. They may not come on here much.

I do not go on the 400 topics much as I am clueless on 400's and sometimes wish some 400 riders would not post on the 650's topics IF they do not know about a 650. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unless I see a post that turns me on to a different tire, I am going with this one:

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/r...4&s_p=&m_s=3&x_tyre_for=ALL&suchen=View+Tires

Fourth one down - Achilles Platinum. It has a Symmetrical Tread, not that Symmetrical Thread is a Big Deal (the two I had on the 650 were not symmetrical, hardly noticeable).

About as noticeable as all the other posts worrying about different feel or handling with a Car Tire (It is negligible).

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
A shame that you can only get no-name tires in that size in USA, I get 153 hits in that size on their Danish site, including all the premium brands.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
Paul, if I had a 400, I'd think about running that tire too.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Unless I see a post that turns me on to a different tire, I am going with this one:

Fourth one down - Achilles Platinum. It has a Symmetrical Tread, not that Symmetrical Thread is a Big Deal (the two I had on the 650 were not symmetrical, hardly noticeable).

About as noticeable as all the other posts worrying about different feel or handling with a Car Tire (It is negligible).
Nexen is what I tried on my 07 400. It fits with no problem. Problem I had is I could never get it to seat. :( So I gave up & went back to a MC tire. As we know darksiding is more a 650 thing than a 400

·
Registered
770 Posts
Goodyear has the "GPS 2" in that size.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Goodyear has the "GPS 2" in that size.
Keep that in mind for next time (hopefyully about 22000 miles or so from now) as I have all ready ordered the Achilles Platinum.

I probably should have shopped locally for a tire in that size and saved shipping. I have had good luck with TireEasy,com. I got in a bit of a hurry and also liked the looks of the tire I ordered.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Good Luck and Please Keep us Informed!
I have done some research and never found a tire to fit my '05 400 that I was happy with. I too hate changing my rear tire twice a year! :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts