Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,

Just bought a 2013 Burgman 650 from a chap in Quebec, Canada. He spoke no English so I didn't get as much info about the bike as I would have liked. It only came with a French User Manual that is listed on the cover as "AN650/Z". Two things if anyone can help me;

1. What bike do I have (AN650/Z or AN650/A,) and if I'm not sure how do I find out? Not sure I trust that the manual is for the bike. It came with heated seat and grips.

2. What's the difference between a 650/A and a 650/Z?

3. Where is the best place to order a User Manual and a Service Manual for the 650? I don't want the photo copied one.

Thanks All

Steve from Ontario.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a button to raise the windscreen up & down and a button to move the mirror housings in & out ? If so you have a B650 Executive…..if not you have a standard B650.
Yes there a button for raising the windscreen and one to move the mirrors as well.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Welcome to the club Steve, you are going to be amazed and delighted with your recent purchase. We have many nice Bilingual Speaking Canadians here.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Here’s a nice article on the 2013 B650

“The “Executive” name has been dropped in the U.S. (it still exists in Europe for models equipped with heated grips and seat, which are available as pre-wired accessories here), but all of the additional features are now standard on the only U.S. model, the Burgman 650 ABS.”

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
4,215 Posts
Actually I have the 2013 Suzuki Burgman ABS. That's the official model name for this model year in all countries BTW.
Heated grips are an add-on. There really was NO Executive model made from 2013 to 2015. But all models 2013 and on have electric adjusting windshield and electric retracting mirrors and ABS. Only the Executive model was made from 2016 to 2018, which has heated grips and seat added, and there was no NON-Executive during those years that I know of. The "Z" refers to models made for the UK, E.U., and Canada and are indicated as AN650ZL3. However there is also the AN650L3 that is for the UK, EU, Australia, and the USA, but not Canada so I really don't know what that is about. It is a country code as far as I can tell. There is no mention in my service manual for any "A" model. If you look through just over the front wheel fender between the forks from the left side looking at the vertical frame tube on the right side next to the radiator you'll see the VIN label which will also show the model number and name. At least that's where it is on my Burgman 650. I have the E03 country/area code (USA, but not California since they are "special"). You probably have the E28 country/area code since that is the only one that applies to Canada.
So your's is likely the AN650ZL3-E28, 2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS. (mine is AN650L3-E03).
And your VIN is likely in the range of: JS1CP51B#D2100012 - 999999.

A lot of this information is what I read in the official Service Manual which I bought from:
https://www.genuinesuzukimanuals.com/
But that web site states they send to the US market only so I don't know where you can find the same for Canada. You'll have to search for it unless someone here knows where to get the official manuals. You'll likely have to go to a Suzuki parts department to order the official USER manual.

Of course, I could be wrong on all of this. I'm only going on what I read in my service manual 😁

Oh, and welcome here @RetiredCAF !

·
Super Moderator
5,413 Posts
Z is for special edition/limited edition in Suzuki speak

(ie all the factory extras fitted and usually special paint)
Same for other Suzuki’s (Boulevard VL800/VL800Z c50/c50z)

A for ABS
You can have both (AN400ZA like mine)

In Canada and Europe, the Z (Executive) came with heated grips.

It gets complicated because the Z became the standard model so there was no need for the Z anymore where and when that happened. The Z/Executive became the standard model so it was dropped.

Same with the A, no point to that designation once it becomes universal.

There are no differences in major parts, just don‘tconfuse ABS/non ABS when working on the brakes/brake wiring.

(400 ZA’s also got heated grips and were also listed as “Executives” in some dealers/sales blurb but it isn’t often used and doesn’t appear on the bike itself)

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Good day all,

Just bought a 2013 Burgman 650 from a chap in Quebec, Canada. He spoke no English so I didn't get as much info about the bike as I would have liked. It only came with a French User Manual that is listed on the cover as "AN650/Z". Two things if anyone can help me;

1. What bike do I have (AN650/Z or AN650/A,) and if I'm not sure how do I find out? Not sure I trust that the manual is for the bike. It came with heated seat and grips.

2. What's the difference between a 650/A and a 650/Z?

3. Where is the best place to order a User Manual and a Service Manual for the 650? I don't want the photo copied one.

Thanks All

Steve from Ontario.
Check seller Martune in the classifieds has one for 30.00 nd shipping for the service manual 2013-2018.

·
Registered
637 Posts
So your's is likely the AN650ZL3-E28, 2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS. (mine is AN650L3-E03).
And your VIN is likely in the range of: JS1CP51B#D2100012 - 999999.

@RetiredCAF !
Where are you seeing the dash information like “-E03”? Encoded within the VIN information, or is it printed out on your VIN sticker?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good day all,

Steve from Ontario.
Check here:
and

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Where are you seeing the dash information like “-E03”? Encoded within the VIN information, or is it printed out on your VIN sticker?
It's actually in the manuals. Didn't look in my user manual but it is in the service manual. That dash number is specific and unique to a country or area.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I think that is JUST an internal Suzuki designation and not documented in the VIN. But only in the manuals and mfr internal documentation. I'll have to look more closely at the different information labels on the bike to see if it is indicated anywhere on those... but don't think it is.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
If you have the service manual there are a few details and procedures in the manual that apply only to bikes with a certain country/area code. That's why the chart is in the front of the manual. Electrical diagrams are specified for certain country/area codes and there are maybe 5 electrical diagrams in my SM and mine only covers bikes from maybe 10 countries/areas. Other SM cover bikes from other collections of countries that would be written in different languages.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Electrical diagrams are specified for certain country/area codes and there are maybe 5 electrical diagrams in my SM and mine only covers bikes from maybe 10 countries/areas. Other SM cover bikes from other collections of countries that would be written in different languages.

Guess I’m having a brain cramp, as I still can’t quite wrap my head around it.
I can understand a manual having different designations., but here’s where I’m in the weeds.
So even though you think his VIN would be “JS1CP51B#D”, which is the same as my bike, you’re saying it’s not actually an an650AL3, as the 2013 VIN codes indicate, but is instead a an650ZL3? I would expect position 8 of the VIN to be something other than a “B” if it had physical differences for Canada, such as a ‘Z’, no?
The an650AL3 VIN says for US and Canada. If there’s actual wiring differences say between mine and yours, and our bike’s have identical VIN’s other than the serial #, how would one identify, what it actually is? Take it apart and look for wiring differences?
Does my confusion make sense?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
@Charbroil , Yes... and no.
I am guessing it matters what that "#" actually is. On mine it's a "6" and on others it's likely a different number. I don't see any AN650 A L3 since as was mentioned previously when there is a standard config that USED be referred to as "A" then that designation is dropped. From what @Bluebottle stated the "Z" is for a special or limited edition. I do know for a certainty that some countries require all their bikes to have ABS and heated grips, at least as a factory installed option, so that may be the case here. Canada is one of those countries. The CTX1300 for example did not come with heated grips in the USA but in Canada and Europe that was required to be on the bike right from the factory. Those could be added later after the sale however. I'm also not entirely certain there is any difference in every country, only between some countries. For example: The electrical diagram in my service manual has the diagram for USA also marked as being for Canada, but a different electrical diagram for California, which is also the one for Korea and Canada. I can't explain that one but it's there. Yet only one model, AN650ZL3, and one country/area designation, E28, are for Canada!

So is that as clear as dense fog?

·
Registered
637 Posts
@Charbroil , Yes... and no.
I am guessing it matters what that "#" actually is. On mine it's a "6" and on others it's likely a different number. I don't see any AN650 A L3 since as was mentioned previously when there is a standard config that USED be referred to as "A" then that designation is dropped. From what @Bluebottle stated the "Z" is for a special or limited edition. I do know for a certainty that some countries require all their bikes to have ABS and heated grips, at least as a factory installed option, so that may be the case here. Canada is one of those countries. The CTX1300 for example did not come with heated grips in the USA but in Canada and Europe that was required to be on the bike right from the factory. Those could be added later after the sale however. I'm also not entirely certain there is any difference in every country, only between some countries. For example: The electrical diagram in my service manual has the diagram for USA also marked as being for Canada, but a different electrical diagram for California, which is also the one for Korea and Canada. I can't explain that one but it's there. Yet only one model, AN650ZL3, and one country/area designation, E28, are for Canada!

So is that as clear as dense fog?
Yup, clear as mud. That 9th position is just the check value, and would vary depending on the included vehicle serial #.
Also, if you look at the official 2013 Suzuki document I posted, the A is part of their model name, with the 3 being for 2013. So unless their own documentation is wrong. The model name is with an A, not a Z.
I’ve worked With ISO manufacturing for years, and it’s a big no-no to have different products with the same Identification #’s. I just looked them up and they are currently certified ..hmm.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts