Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

What are your recommendations regarding scooter covers?

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  DonRich90 
#1 ·
Hi folks. I have a Burgman 400 and wonder if you have any recommendations or experiences regarding brands/models/materials for a cover. I heard of one cover that has an alarm system... Anybody have opinions about this? thanks, Bob

#2 ·
There are a lot of covers on the market that will work , but like most others items there is no one best,
Full waterproof covers are fine except the bike does not get much air circulation, cotton allows air circulation but is not waterproof..
Have never had an alarm on a cover and it sounds like something that would be more trouble then it's worth.
At least you don't have to worry much about hot mufflers / exhausts burning the cover.
But lets face it , indoors is the best place, even if it's under a make-it-your-self- lean two :)

#4 ·
Covers for Burgman 400

Randy and Bleeder, my two Internet advisers! Yes, I keep my Burgman 480 in a SPECIAL room, with a SPECIAL ramp, with a SPECIAL homemade door. I was thinking of a cover when I parked outside from my part-time job... Humboldt County is rather rainy in the winter... also, I have been told that covering a scooter is a security deterrent. Potential thieves will not suspect that there is a gorgeous Burgman 400 under the cover!

Bob Dorsett
a.k.a.Roberto Alfonso Dominico Meloni Toscani Dorsetti

#5 ·
Covercraft (manufacturer of covers) has a new material called WeatherShield that is the best I've ever used. The cover has only one layer of material but breathes (won't trap moisture) and is virtually waterproof. Because of the one layer, it is light and can be washed in a home washer and folds into a very compact package.
The cover is easy to remove when wet (most others are heavy and soggy). All you do is pull on the cover and the water droplets (they bead up on the cover like a wax job) just roll off. Just remove and shake any remaining water off and fold it up.
I've used it on a Vette that was parked in my driveway from around Christmas to the end of March. In spite of heavy rains, deep snows and lots of ice, the black finish looked almost as clean as when it was washed and covered.
According to some recent ads in the MC magazines, they do make covers for motorcycles and if you're interested in a excellent cover for outdoor storage you might try their website. http://www.covercraft.com/ . :D

#8 ·
Bleeder said:
I jes got me one o the part teem jobs tu, with beneefits and a jenuine uneeform.
Dang Bleeder...didn't know you'ens was from the South too. :roll:

Guess Walmart employees can't afford burlap bags anymore.

#9 ·
pauljo said:
Next, I think the CUSTOMERS will be complaining...
I'm starting my complaint form NOW ... before some bean counter management type sees the pic and things it's a good cost saving idea. :tongue3:

#10 ·
billmeek said:
Bleeder said:
I jes got me one o the part teem jobs tu, with beneefits and a jenuine uneeform.
Dang Bleeder...didn't know you'ens was from the South too. :roll:

Guess Walmart employees can't afford burlap bags anymore.

Well I aint sed where I was from so just what the hell r u insituaten? Here's a pitcher a me n ma kin up in a holler outsida Pulaski last weekenn for a family throwdown where I like ta pick up chicks. Yous kin see wer just as classy as you all so STFU!!!!

Peace.

#12 ·
Re: Covers

Monterey10 said:
I really like the Dowco covers. There is no tendency to burn up
on your exhaust. Beleive me, the cheap nylon covers will find
a way to stick to a hot exhaust pipe.
I bought a genuine Suzuki cover when I got the Burger. I've never used it. By the time I get to work, the dang muffler's too hot, and I'm not about to leave a half-hour early so I can wait for it to cool.

#13 ·
I'm draping a soft towel over my windshield to prevent scratches, then puting a cheap plastic tarp over the bike, wrapping it like a Christmas package, and holding the folds in place with plastic clamps.

I use an asymmetric drape to keep the plastic away from the exhaust, and put one edge under the reflector to make sure it doesn't shift onto the hot metal.

I do plan to get a real cover before winter sets in, but until I've found the ideal one for me, this works.

#15 ·
DonRich90 said:
Brian, I'd be careful using that plastic tarp, especially if you're wrapping it tight. If a cover can't "breath" and let trapped moisture escape, you may be inviting rust and other problems. :D
If you lived where I live you'd cover your Burgie with whatever was handy. A little moisture trapped inside is a lot better than a lot of rain falling from the sky.

On the hot days we've had lately, rain isn't a problem, but condensation once the sun sets is. Last night I had to wipe the seat down really well before leaving work (I carry a towel just for that reason), because the seat was soaked. When I uncover the bike after sitting at home that's not a problem because all the dew is on the cover.

But don't worry, I don't seal the bike completely. I leave the right side higher than the left to stay clear of the exhaust pipe, and there is also a gap at the step-through where a breeze can blow. I just cover it enought to keep the seat, instruments, windshield, and upward-facing body panels protected. I do a "Christmas Wrap" to keep the wind from blowing the tarp off, but it's only "sealed" on five sides.

And, as mentioned, it's only a stop-gap until I buy a regular cover.

#17 ·
Brian said:
And, as mentioned, it's only a stop-gap until I buy a regular cover.
Brian, under your conditions, I'd really consider the WeatherShield fabric by Covercraft I talked about above. It is the most waterproof/dustproof cover I've ever used. And, if you keep the bike covered at night and it gets wet, it's easy to quickly shake the water beads off while it's still on the bike (then blot any remaining droplets with an old towel) and fold it into a very compact package, put it in the bike and take it to work and use it there. Other covers I've used were always too wet or damp to fold and carry and I always had to find a place to hang them to dry before using them again.
Over the years I've used a lot of different brands and fabrics on my cars and bikes (I don't have a garage but I do have a shed for the bike) and the WeatherShield by Covercraft is the best. It's probably not going to be cheap (the one for my Vette was $240) but it does the job of keeping the vehicle dry and is virtually dust-proof so you don't get that usual mess of damp dust left on the finish when you remove the other covers after a rain. :D

#18 ·
DonRich90 said:
Brian, under your conditions, I'd really consider the WeatherShield fabric by Covercraft I talked about above....
Thanks Don, sounds like a good product.

Do you know if the bike versions have a soft liner near the windshield? Some brands seem to be made by people who don't know that bike windshields aren't glass.

#19 ·
Brian said:
Do you know if the bike versions have a soft liner near the windshield? Some brands seem to be made by people who don't know that bike windshields aren't glass.
The cover I bought for my Kawasaki Concours did have that soft liner in the windshield area. I can't remember for sure what brand - but I think it was a Dowco. The top was nylon (breathable) but the bottom portion was canvas - which wouldn't melt on the pipes. It had elastic all the way around the bottom, and plenty of tie down grommets for bungie cords. Came with a nice stuff sack too. It was a really great cover. When I sold the bike I let the new owner have it. Thought I was all done with riding...

#21 ·
Brian said:
Brian, I don't know if Covercraft's WeatherShield fabric bike covers have a windshield liner or not. Check their website ( http://www.covercraft.com/powersports_covers.htm ) or give them a call at 1-800-4covers. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.