Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I now look at replacement helmets I immediately eliminate several good helmets because they lack certain features. I never used to be picky but now at my age I have earned the right to be picky. I MUST have a drop down sun visor, a quick lock chin strap (NO D-RINGS), anti-fog visors, and be Glasses friendly.
Of course the fit, looks, safety rating, clarity of vision, and weight all still come onto play as well. But if it is missing one of the essentials it is off the list!
What do look for (feature-wise) in a helmet?

Oh Yea...and a Santa Claus Beard!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
- that has at least 4 stars in the UK SHARP safety scheme: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/node/33
- Good vents
- Pinlock ready
- DOT/EC/SNELL certified
- Quiet
- HI-VIZ
- Comfortable
- Light
- Good aerodynamic design (very little buffeting)
- Quick Release strap
- Sun Visor

do I ask for too much? o_O

Yes, I want the Schuberth C3 Pro for Christmas :(

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would not be without a modular helmet. The convenience of flipping up the whole front when chatting at a stoplight, filling up or just getting some fresh air on a warm day is just plain wonderful.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Big + on a modular helmet, it also works well for crossing borders without having to remove the helmet! A new must have that I did not know of is the rear brake light on my Gmax 54S...now that I have it I don't want to ride without it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
+1 on the modular helmet.

People don't trust those who don't have a face. A full-face helmet is fine, but until you can flip it up and people can see your face, there's a bit of mistrust. So when I'm out I rarely take off my helmet. Shopping, running errands, etc., just flip it up and people feel more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Full face glasses friendly is #1 on my list. Saying that I have only found a modular or my T43 Nolan that fits those requirements. Quick lock chin straps put more models out of my list. Flip down sun shades that's glasses friendly really cuts the list down. Guess that's why I'm using a T43 Nolan as it fit all my must haves. Oh yea & it was in my price range too. ;)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I live in a place where Hot & Humid is normal, and I commute over two hours each day. I've opted for the half-helmet, balancing the low likelihood of a crash against the very real possibility of heat stroke. Had a bad accident in May of 2011 and it, along with the rest of the gear, worked just fine. Yes it's a risk, but it's one I'm willing to take.

Mine is an HJC D01

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well I have two an open face fighter pilot style with flip down sunnies and visor and a full face for winter that flips up because the garage attendants will not let you fill up if they cant see your face
Did walk into my bank once with my full face helmet still on and every one froze until I took it of that was fun.

I have left home many time forgetting to put my helmet on until I get to the end of the street and wonder why my ears are cold and I can see so well all around :)

A bit of dementia creeping in

ps: Its a $175 fine for not waring a helmet in OZ

·
Registered
280 Posts
Full face glasses friendly is #1 on my list. Saying that I have only found a modular or my T43 Nolan that fits those requirements. Quick lock chin straps put more models out of my list. Flip down sun shades that's glasses friendly really cuts the list down. Guess that's why I'm using a T43 Nolan as it fit all my must haves. Oh yea & it was in my price range too. ;)
When my current modular is due for replacement the next will be a Neotec or similar i don't recall seeing a T43 Nolan here in Australia.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I like modular, ventilation is a must! Helmet I have now does not vent very well. HJC CL-MAX, price was good, vents suck!!! It's OK in colder weather, Summer, not so much. I also need glasses friendly, drop down shade would be nice too. I bypassed the D rings with a speed clip.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I currently have a full face hi viz (Scorpion) that I like a lot but my next helmet will have to be a modular with flip down sun visor at is dark enough so I don't need sunglasses, pin lock to keep foging down, quiet, and in my price range. I've been looking at the Nolan 104 or the Shoei Neotec.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I have a neotec and had an hjc modular before. I have the same basic needs, except not worried about d- rings. The neotec is a little harder to gt on with my glasses on, the hjc I could get over my glasses. The neotec is pretty expensive compared to the hjc, I like it, it's quieter and overall meets my needs, and most of others on this thread.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Visorless Open face is the only way to go if you want to minimise internal helmet noise (my priority).

The B650 Exec adjustable screen is more than sufficient to keep insects and road grit out of your eyes, so it has to be open face, without a visor, for me.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You must have coarser road grit than we do in Florida, or maybe we just have more wind picking it up. It's the law to wear eye protection while riding here, but the fact that it's the law isn't why I wear it. Even with the windscreen, all KINDS of stuff hits me in the face. But my eyes are always covered - day or night, rain or shine.

Open face helmets make it a whole lot easier to smoke, too.

I do have a snap-on brim I wouldn't want to be without; it keeps the rising or setting sun out of my eyes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
In order of importance for me
Wide field of vision, especially upward (ZX6 has a very aggressive riding position.
Good aerodynamics - can't stand lifting or buffeting, especially on the ZX6 when passing. (Passing is only time I generally exceed 100-120 mph)
Drop down visor.
Pinlock equipped.
Quiet - generally goes with good aerodynamics.
Good ventilation
As for quick release, it can be added for $5 to ANY D ring style helmet strap, so I'd never settle for an otherwise inferior helmet that happened to come with some sort of QR system as standard equipment.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Big + on a modular helmet, it also works well for crossing borders without having to remove the helmet! A new must have that I did not know of is the rear brake light on my Gmax 54S...now that I have it I don't want to ride without it.
I have one of those that I will unwrap on Dec 25th. I did a trial fit and it was nice. I do a lot of Winter riding and really want to get the distracted drivers attention as they pull up on me. Seems like a quality helmet, I got WHITE.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
DOT approved.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Full-face, fits my large melon, vented, will comfortably accommodate my glasses, and either orange or chartreuse. Haven't found a modular that could do all those yet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A Shoei RF800 saved me in 2002, so they will always have my vote. I wear glasses full time so the multitec was a must. I went with silver only to match the scoot.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts