Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the wind in my face. I usually ride around town with the modular face portion of my helmet up or at least the visor wide open. A few years ago while riding some mild twisties with trees on both sides of the road I had an impulse to close the visor and so did. Not a second went by when something hard like a chestnut hit the visor in front of my eyes. It thwaked my visor at about 40mph. I kept steady and continued the ride.
Just last week on a 4 lane highway, no trees overhead and no cars in front of me I felt that same impulse to close the visor and so did. Not a second went by when something THWAKED the visor and bounced off at 55mph. Maybe a bird dropped something. If the visor remained open I would certainly have gone down with a car on my tail. What are the odds? I figured it out fairly accurately. That for me to be in the perfect place to receive something falling down and hitting the same 4 square inch area on the visor is 1 in every 481 days of riding. That kinda stinks 'cause I can't ride open faced anymore without being a little nervous about doing so. Oh yes, I was very lucky or blessed in those instances. I hope all of you are too.:)

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Being hit in the visor is not that uncommon. Be it an acorn, June bug or lug nut.
I have been nicked so many times I carry a spare face shield. Only open it above a crack when stopping.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yes, you ride enough miles, you will be stung... sometimes literally.

I ride with my chin bar closed and the shield up when its warm. But my helmet has a sun shade that's usually down. With the wind shield, this is usually enough to dissuade most road vermin and loose buckshot from pelting my face.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've been hit right between my eyes a few times with wasp or something thankfully the shield protecting me... I use duct tape around my ankles to stop the jeans flapping around, I had a wasp one time up my leg, I had to squeeze the guts out of him as he stung me, then I pulled over to standup to let his dead body fall out. He got me!!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I ride with my visor vented one or two notches most of the time, unless it is really cold. When I first started riding I was going to use a fighter style open face helmet but I saw the chart below and decided that a full face lid was the way to go. I wear glasses and found a pull on full face impossible so I switched to a flip front modular. I don't know how many times I hear or see a bug smack the visor and think - "that would have hurt!".

Shows the percentage of impacts during a motorcycle crash. Note that a Harley skull cap type helmet would only protect you in about 20% of possible crashes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You obviously bought a helmet with the THAWAK option activated. You need to deactivate so it will repel acorns, lug nuts, and any manner of kicked up debris.

I have a full front windshield and ANSI Z-80.3 approved safety glasses. I wear an open face Helmet and still get nipped by what ever gets kicked up. Count your blessings and you might just continue wearing your face shield.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
I posted a photo of a friend who, had she not had her helmet on and visor down, would have taken a bolt thrown up off the road by a semi truck.

Keep the visor down in place. It's there for a reason.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Many years ago I was riding along on a 4 lane highway at about legal speed. I was passing a car on the left when I noticed something flip up off the front tire. It hit the R/H mirror producing a large dent in it and shattered the mirror and bent the mirror stalk. Had Washington State not mandated left and right hand mirrors for all MC's that mirror would not have been there to block what was coming right at my head. I doubt a shield on my helmet would have offered much protection.

A couple of years ago I was riding home from a ride with a couple other guys on my Harley when I felt something hard hit my leg. An explosion of feathers bloomed out behind me. I had hit a bird - probably a sparrow but I don't know for sure. It left a nice big welt on my leg. The bird faired much worse. The Burgman has much better protection from such things.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Many years ago I was riding along on a 4 lane highway at about legal speed. I was passing a car on the left when I noticed something flip up off the front tire. It hit the R/H mirror producing a large dent in it and shattered the mirror and bent the mirror stalk. Had Washington State not mandated left and right hand mirrors for all MC's that mirror would not have been there to block what was coming right at my head. I doubt a shield on my helmet would have offered much protection.

A couple of years ago I was riding home from a ride with a couple other guys on my Harley when I felt something hard hit my leg. An explosion of feathers bloomed out behind me. I had hit a bird - probably a sparrow but I don't know for sure. It left a nice big welt on my leg. The bird faired much worse. The Burgman has much better protection from such things.
I have lost count of the number of suicidal birds I have hit. Had a crow hit me in the chest on my V-Strom and almost took me off of the bike. Pulled off after that one to try to get myself calmed down so I could continue riding. That sucker hurt!

Doug from Kentucky

1 - 9 of 9 Posts