Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the sun is getting bright these days here in Arizona. I have some cheap ones that I like, but my son dropped them today and I noted that they "chipped" a little at one corner...they look like glass. Probably NOT what I want to be wearing in an accident (even if i'm wearing my helmet like I ALWAYS do). So, I am starting the search for some nice sunglasses.

The thing I like about my current pair?
They are fairly dark - the darker the better for me and this sun!
They wrap fairly tightly to my face - little light gets in around the edges and I don't "see" much of the frame on my periphery.
They slide in easily between my head and the helmet and don't hurt my ears...

Now, with that said, anyone have any suggestions about a new pair for me that have the above 3 traits and are "unbreakable?"

Hoping to keep the cost down a bit - Less than $50?

Thanks for any and all suggestions. Oh, and I even have a strip of sunblock on my helmet visor for those really bright days. My visor is clear otherwise.

I've wondered if any of those tinted visors would be a better investment...Anyone have a visor that is very heavily tinted? I have an HJC helmet...

thanks again.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Take a look here:

http://www.performancebike.com/
Go to 'helmets/shoes/eyewear', then 'active eyewear', and then use the little pull-down menu to filter for only the Performance brand glasses. The rest you'll probably find a bit too expensive, but the Performance brand are reasonable. I personally like this style, but don't have this exact pair:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/pro ... y_ID=2510#
-or-
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/pro ... ry_ID=2510

You should be able to find something similar at a local store, though, where you can try them on. I'm not sure what sporting goods stores you have down there in AZ, but up here we have Dunham's Sports, M.C. Sports, Galyan's which was recently bought by Dick's Sporting Goods. Gander Mountian would be a good place to check, too. Lots of places should carry this wrap-around style, which is sort of a knock off of expensive Oakley sunglasses. For helmet comfort, look for something with thin temples, like the first one I gave a link for, and not the second. If the temples are fat, they can be uncomfortable when the helmet padding smashes them between your ears and head.

8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Flint,

One of the 3 visors I have for my 3/4 helmet is a dark visor. It's not as dark as some of my sunglasses but is adequate for most days. I stopped using it since I've started riding more at night and it was more of a hassle changing it out for the clear ones. I have used it a few times at night and it wasn't too bad ... but I'm not one to wear my sunglasses at night. ;) I doubt I'll purchase another dark tinted visor again and just stick to wearing sunglasses. 8)

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've use Bolle Coach Whip sunglasses that I got from Costco. They were about $80.00 CDN. They are wrap around and have polarized dark green lenses (polycarbonate I think). I am very happy with them with the slight exception that when I have my clear face shield down, the polarization creates some mild distorions, nothing critical, just annoying, a bit of a rainbow effect in certain light conditions.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had a tough time finding sunglasses that I liked. Money was not an issue and I searched for a couple of years. This started before I bought my Burgman and the requirements that I had were pretty tough.
See, I also sail and do a lot of race management so being on the water for 12 hours plus will cause much pain and suffering without decent sun glasses. Then there is the issue of glare off the water and dealing with the wind since boats can't race in calm conditions plus they had to be optically correct when it came to colours, no changing of the colours allowed.I search high priced and low priced and then I saw something that I kicked myself for never having thought of.
Safety glasses! In my case Lee Valley Tools had a sale on landscaper safety glasses. They were something like $6.95 so I bought a pair and tried them.
They fit nice and tight to my face so there is no wind around them, they are safety glasses so they will offer some protection from impact and since they are safety glasses they are optically correct. All for $6.95.
I went back and bought a half a dozen pairs.
They will fit into my helmet comfortably as well.
I don't think that Lee Valley has any more as they were a 'special' purchase and not an item that they were going to stock but my point is that you will find great sun glasses in the safety supply department of you local hardware or Home Depot type store. And they will fit your motorcycle requirements.
The pair I use are made by Utex I believe.
having said all that I also have a dark visor for my HJC that I wear when I am going to travel for a bit. I keep both a clear and a dark one on the bike so I can swap them. This is more comfortable than wearing glasses if I am going to ride a long distance.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I have found most hardware stores carry Polycarbonate 100% UVA sun glasses (wrap around style) for under 6 dollars a pair, with a little care they will last two seasons and I use a 3/4 helmet. They are shatter proof, dark, also come in blue or yellow, thin and light yet strong enough for the construction trade. They work very well on a bike and are as safe as any pair you can buy.
Down side--------- Not the best looking pair of glasses you could buy.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I have a pair of Zurich polycarbonate sunglasse that fit over eyeglasses.

Bought many years ago.
Not cheap, I think I paid about $75.00 Canadian for them.

First pair cracked while I was moving furniture (wearing them on my belt case).

Called the distributor in Utah and he said they were not supposed to do that, and sent me another pair for free, including a new carrying case.
Still have both cases.
Supposed to bullet proof, literally, have been fired at by .22 calibre guns as a test. (not mine) :wink:

I still have them.

Block 82% UVA and 99% UVB.
All plastic no metal anywhere, good for skiing etc.
Optically perfect, no distortion.

Don't know if they are still in business, as I have not had a need to contact them again.

Oops, just did a search, they are still in business.
http://www.zurichusa.com/

My old brochure says Zurich International
500 Cohasset Rd, Suite 34, Chico CA
800-533-5665, 916-893-3657
fax 916-893-9575

They come/came in many colour configurations, silver, and grey

Very light. Don't know how they will fit under my HJC helmet for comfort.
Have tried them on with the helmet, comfortable enough for a few minutes anyway, will have to see on long rides how they feel.
I have a feeling the arms could be removed and elastic headband subsituted for more comfort under a helmet

Solves my wearing eyeglasses with sunglasses problem quite nicely.
They cut glare like nothing else I have ever tried.

Bought them back when I was into radio controlled model gliders.
Used to spend a lot of time looking up into the bright sun etc.

P.S.
Just took a look around and they have a referral program going.
If any of you mention my name enough times I get another pair free. :)
"Richard Lilley"

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Hey Flint,

I installed light smoke tint faceshields on all of my helmets last year. One of the helmets is an HJC CL-14. I really like the tinted shields. They keep a lot of those rays off of my face, which is something sunglasses won't do. I wear a cheap pair of sunglasses under the tinted face shield - probably from Walgreens. You know how it is. If you buy an expensive pair of sunglasses you will lose them or sit on them before too long. If you buy a good cheap pair you will have them so long that you can't remember where you bought them! I highly recommend the combination of a light tint faceshield and sunglasses rather than a dark tint shield. If you get caught riding after dark you can pull off the sunglasses and still see through the light tint well enough to get where you are going.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I also have a full HJC CL-14. I switched out the clear for the darkest tint they had (not the mirrored), as 99% of my riding is daytime. I always wear my prescription sunglasses under the tinted visor--the combination of the two gets it about right for me. The clear visor was way too bright for sunny riding.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mi SeaRider said:
... I switched out the clear for the darkest tint they had (not the mirrored), as 99% of my riding is daytime. I always wear my prescription sunglasses under the tinted visor--the combination of the two gets it about right for me. The clear visor was way too bright for sunny riding.
Thanks everyone. I think the quote above matches me - about 99% of my riding is daytime riding, and is even moreso during the summer when it seems like it doesn't get dark here til 10 pm. AND, I live west of where I work which is the exact opposite of what I should do - I'm always riding directly into the sun. I don't have prescription sunglasses, but I wear contacts 99% of the time.

I think I'll try a combination of the ultra-dark visor and some moderately cheap sunglasses. If I'm caught in the dark, i'll keep my old clear shield in the trunk and snap it back in if needed. Definitely like the performancebike glasses and the zurich ones. Never thought of bicycle shades, but they should be pretty good.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I always carry a pair of old clear safety glasses on the bike just in case it gets dark too quickly. As far as sunglasses go I like the smoke colored(?) lenses because they don't seem to change colors as much.

·
Registered
329 Posts
In my experience with sunglasses, I have found that polaroid lenses work best. Tint level is a personal matter, but be aware that the darker the tint, the larger your iris will open which admits more light, etc. Lighter tints admit more light, but your iris reacts by closing the aperature. Poor quality dark tints that cause the iris to open in bright light may cause damage by failing to filter UV rays and by allowing off-axis light to interfere with vision. Check the specifications regardless of price. Tinted shields can produce or add to the effects above.
A strip of opaque tape applied across the top of my faceshields just above my line of sight allows me to block our direct rays of the sun by slightly lowering or raising my head and limits sunlight entrance through the shield. This works like the sun visor in a car and is especially effective when riding toward the sun as it nears the horizon.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I like the Zurich glasses better.
Optically perfect light, unbreakable, can be worn with side arms or straps etc., over eyeglasses or not.
UVA and UVB protection, cut glare better than my old Ray-Bans did, or my newer clip ons for that mattter.

One reason I like them is because they are NOT polarized.

Apparently polarized sunglasses can cause some optical distortion when used behind a face shield.

Also polarized sunglasses kill all shiny reflections and for this reason can also hide wet or icy spots on the road from your eyes, which can be dangerous.
They are most effective when the sun is on a steep angle, i.e. early AM or late afternoon, less so at high noon.

When fishing I do prefer polarized but that's the only time.

Just personal preference I guess. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I found Radians @ http://www.radians.com to be one of the better types for me. They are polycarbonate, interchangable and are even good as protective work glasses. I especially like the earplug holders. They say they are good for shooting glasses but they work fine for the marriage. :D

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lilleyen said:
Yup. I've got that on my helmet already. It helps, but when the sun is shining just barely over the horizon, it's kinda tough to see still. I think a combination of heavily tinted helmet visor, this product, and good sunglasses are the best that I can do...

Did I say my father has macular degeneration, so this is a big deal to me...gotta protect the eyes from sunlight.

Of course, he has smoked for 70+ years too, and has welded most of his life...that doesn't help either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts