Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally broke down and did some work on the Burgman yesterday. I had to get it up and running so I could do some long needed maintenance on my ST1100.
I changed the belt and coverted over to sliders and changed out the chubaka bearing. I still have the chubaka howl, but boy what a difference the sliders made.
I bought a separate faceplate and modified it last summer. I then put in new 20 gr Dr rollers. That was about 2500 miles ago. The rollers were pretty scarred up for that short of distance. I hope the sliders do better.
Anyway, It's nice actually having two gears (or so it seems)! Between the new belt and 20gr sliders I'm sitting about 1K lower rpms at 70 mph. Very Interesting!
Just thought I'd share!

If the Burgman variator eating these is still an issue, has anybody had any luck changing out the variator all together?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
what i just did this afternoon was modify the plate again. the trick is to get 100% of the “hook” off the plate.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Now that you have the new sliders is there a difference when starting from a stop? Do you have slower acceleration?:confused:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't ever clocked it, and it may be a bit slower with the 20 gr sliders in, but that just may be perception too. It picks up pretty quick (I actually think it may be quicker) then it goes through two separate "shifts"; one at about 50 (+/-) and another closer to 60. Most of my riding is about 60+ so ....
I turn about 6000 rpm's at an indicated 74 mph!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Now, I have the same weight sliders in mine, and I thought I would get a higher top speed since the engine doesn't need to spin as hard. For some reason I'm maxed out at 90 indicated. Any reason why?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You loose top speed because the engine can no longer rev high enough at that speed to produce enough power to go faster, this engine as to rev for max power.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It cant rev higher as the wind resistance at that speed is now more than the engine can produce at the revs it's doing which are lower than they were due to the sliders making the gearing higher, the scooter is now "over geared" just to muddy the water the 400 is supposed to make max power at 7600rpm but in real life seems to have to rev higher than that to produce max speed.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
So, what can I do to get the best top speed vs. mpg? I'm really wanting 70 mpg, but, wanting to hit 100. Do I need a biger variator to do this? I know there isn't any room in there but just thinking. And why can't it rev higher? I'm just not seeing why.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
As Ralph says, the engine can't rev higher because the sliders raise the bikes gearing above what it used to be at the upper end of the speed range. You've already noticed this during cruise. At full throttle the bike cannot now produce enough power to pull the higher gearing. Its a bit like riding the bike uphill all the time, the engine in too higher gear. You probably have a good setup for good mpg's. But you'll never get 100mph with those sliders on the flat. You won't get both better mpg & better mph with 20g sliders.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have had standard rollers 18g and 19g sliders and the MPG as not changed enough for me to be sure if it is any better, 18g are most likely the best bet for for all round performance.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Well, now they aren't working again. And the nitrous would be an option if I was drag racing. I shortened the "hooks" as much as I could, and now they aren't dropping the rpm. I don't know what went wrong now. I even checked them a couple hundred miles ago, and they were fine. Any help?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It's likely when you refitted them you did not keep the back plate pressed in and this allowed some of them to flip over, or for some reason some seem to flip on there own, I don't know if you have used any kind of lube but I have found they are better without any just make sure everything is clean. I find it very difficult to get the variator back wile holding everything in place and at some point you have to let go or trap your fingers.
I doubt if you have taken to much off the fingers on the back plate.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sometimes going with a bigger gear will hurt mpg, your lugging the engine, it's the weight/wind to power ratio. An engine with higher rpm working less hard can be more efficient. Many V6 cars can do 30mpg and the 4 cylinder gets 32 mpg @60mph. It's the same issue. Rpm counts are only one ingredient to correct gearing and efficiency !

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
By far the best thing for MPG is a well trained right hand,
accelerate smoothly up to speed don't just jam the throttle open
wind it smoothly on accelerate smartly rather than fast or slow,
look ahead and start to slow on the throttle so you arrive at the stop or slower traffic
without or with very little braking, brakes just turn fuel into wast heat, don't carry this
to extremes and get your self hurt but done correctly it give a very fast and flowing
ridding style and you will keep up with the faster stop start riders, once you get used
to it, it becomes second nature, keep it rolling and you will make fast progress.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts