Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
:) It’s a nice myth, but he was a mercenary - his Islamic followers and masters gave him the name El CID (or al- Sayyid kind of “my lord” or “sir”)
Spain didn’t exist back then but to followers who spoke early Spanish he would have been ”El Campeador” (kind of champion/master of battle).

He fought for Muslims against christians and vice versa and by all accounts he was very good at it. The myth came after and was liberally enhanced by nationalist and far right, particularly by Franco when he was in power.

At the time the, the Muslims were the more educated, with famous scholars contributing to mathematics, astronomy, philosophy, optics, chemistry and medicine, and they put the maths into fledgling physics - christian Europe was largely illiterate apart from the religious elite and devoid of science.

Sorry to be pedantic and it might not interest people but I have family connections that make it interesting to me.
(plus a childhood family nickname of el caballero)
(plus family members who died battling the fascists in the Spanish Civil War)
Seems El Cid may have been similar to Drajo Mihilevic in Serbian lore, a great warrior known to fight for whatever side was good. Supposedly as opposed to Evil

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
Two movies that come to mind. Like so many others I have seen too many movies over the years but ones that actually stand out are few.

True Grit starring John Wayne. It made you feel a part of the action. The main characters were believable and the cinematography was good. All that and you did not have to be embarrassed to have your kids watch it.

Blues Brothers starring John Belushi and Dan Akroyd. Funny from start to finish and interspersed with good music and cameo appearances by several other actors. The car chase scenes were unbelievable but extremely funny to watch. All that and a social message about doing good works to help other people. I don't like a movie with a social message but made an exception for this one.

Both movies I mentioned were entertaining. I don't watch a movie to learn things as in a documentary but merely to be taken away mentally for awhile. To laugh or cry depending on the movie.
My thoughts.

·
Registered
525 Posts
How could one pick only ONE movie?
So, my unsorted list of movies that i will never get tired to watch is:
  • True Lies
  • Interstellar
  • The Dollar movies trilogy
  • The LOTR movies trilogy (extended ed.)
  • the two Trinity movies
  • Alien and Aliens
  • Terminator 1 & 2
  • Highlander (there's only one movie, so i don't need to be more precise)
Anyway, there's a lot of other movies/franchise i'd watch no matter what, and some italian movie that i think you should know but did'nt got an english dubbing.

·
Registered
254 Posts
One flew over the cuckoos nest.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey Plum loco,

Bluebottle recommended a great movie you might like it’s entitled 71

Watch it or I’ll tell Nurse Ratchet you wet the bed.🤣

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
If you are still in a Brit film mood - see if you like the look of Kes.

1969 film about a poor Yorkshire kid who steals and brings up a Kestrel.
Very much the poverty and gritty north of England I recognise as a kid from 5 miles away around the same time.

Some grim viewing but also some laughs (if they translate).
I find it emotional but those are the estates I recognise every character and it may not resonate the same to foreigners outside South Yorkshire - or it may be universal for kids from poverty?

A lot of locals used in filming and the original uses Yorkshire dialect and accent - a lot of which is dubbed out in the dvd version because US execs said it “may as well be in Hungarian”. Plus different use of swear words as terms of endearment or not recognised outside the area etc. Also unpolished “naturalistic” acting isn’t everybody's taste.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Very much the poverty and gritty north of England I recognise as a kid from 5 miles away around the same time.

I find it emotional but those are the estates I recognise every character and it may not resonate the same to foreigners outside South Yorkshire - or it may be universal for kids from poverty?

A lot of locals used in filming and the original uses Yorkshire dialect and accent - a lot of which is dubbed out in the dvd version because US execs said it “may as well be in Hungarian”. Plus different use of swear words as terms of endearment or not recognised outside the area etc. Also unpolished “naturalistic” acting isn’t everybody's taste.

I’ll look for it.... the young boy is hard to understand but he probably hasn’t been to socialized to much yet. I bet it’s the same boy in real life in order for the bird to come to him.

A couple months ago I recommended Falconry and playing music to Ducati14 after his retirement...he’s in a band and plays a harmonica I’m not sure if he has a “New Bird” yet .

A bird is slang for girlfriend in England ?

Paging Ducati14... any New Birds ?

Reactions: ducati14

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Looking for Kes reminded me of a british movie I watched ....if

it’s lower case if

It’s funny but all these movies have such simple titles
71, Kes and if

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey Plum loco,

Bluebottle recommended a great movie you might like it’s entitled 71

Watch it or I’ll tell Nurse Ratchet you wet the bed.🤣
Seen it,hears one fo you.10 Rillington place,Richard Attenborough and John Hurt.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Long Distance runner,Tom Courtenay.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
...the young boy is hard to understand

...A bird is slang for girlfriend in England ?
Yes on the slang, but derogatory these days. Depending on how it was used can mean any young women or can mean girlfriend, don’t use in polite or enlightened company.

The kid is David Bradley, the accent/dialect is authentic for Yorkshire and for a local used to hearing it, specific to Barnsley (where they all come from) just north of Sheffield.
Teachers are Yorkshire but some from other parts.
It’s actually toned down so a wider audience can understand it :)

nowt = nothing
geeore = stop
ruhring = crying
Thee or tha/thy = You/your
Thi’sen = yourself
nicked =stole
aaa = yes
estate = council housing area, like “projects” ( mine was similar, built by Italian POWs in ‘40s)
I can see why you would give up :) but I can slip in and out of it if I go back.

Teachers would have been from outside the immediate area, somewhere less impoverished and better education and a knowledge of “formal” language, that is why they are easier to understand.
Council kids didn’t go to college except in very rare cases.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
if is one whacky film
Other end of the social system and influenced by rioting going on in France in the swinging 60’s.

The story goes that it is half black and white because they ran out of money.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
David Bradley trained with multiple birds for the Kes film.
common in films to have one that is good at one thing and spares (like multiple identical stunt cars)

He went into acting afterwards.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Seen it,hears one fo you.10 Rillington place,Richard Attenborough and John Hurt.
Long Distance runner,Tom Courtenay.
I watched 15 min of 10 Rillington....wow it got dark and macabre right from the start.

Watched an eight minute clip of of clips of Loneness of a Long Distance Runner that seem to be a good one.

I think the Runner is in the same vein as the french film 400 Blows or a version of our James Dean flicks .

That era stripped all the make-up off the Fairy Tales of the 50’s to give us a good dose of reality of how the other half really lived.

In the film 71 they zoom out from the smoke stack and you see all the houses built around the factory ..... how the one factory was the bee hive for the entire neighborhood.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I watched 15 min of 10 Rillington....wow it got dark and macabre right from the start.

Watched an eight minute clip of of clips of Loneness of a Long Distance Runner that seem to be a good one.

I think the Runner is in the same vein as the french film 400 Blows or a version of our James Dean flicks .

That era stripped all the make-up off the Fairy Tales of the 50’s to give us a good dose of reality of how the other half really lived.

In the film 71 they zoom out from the smoke stack and you see all the houses built around the factory ..... how the one factory was the bee hive for the entire neighborhood.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Administrator
18,208 Posts
Vic, you need to watch the series 'Pinky Blinders'. Set in a tough factory town just after WW1

·
Registered
221 Posts
"Lucy"

What would you do if you could access 100% of your brain's capacity? Amazing sci-fi thriller written and directed by Luc Besson.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Boy I’m glad I didn’t finish that one....I stopped to search Long Distance Runner when he had his sights set on the mother and child.

Those old B&W movies when done properly cut deep into the brain.

I watched the first episode of Peaky Blinders wanting to like it be cause I’ve spent most my time in Birmingham and the Mid-Lands but I found it too gritty and coarse.

I’ve never watched the first episode of Game of Thrones even when all my buddies were raving about it.....now they are complaining how the got cheated in the last season.

The best series I’ve recently seen is Black Sails, Dead Wood and Marco Pollo ;

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
"Lucy"
What would you do if you could access 100% of your brain's capacity? Amazing sci-fi thriller written and directed by Luc Besson.
I am going to watch this one !

21 - 40 of 73 Posts