Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My University Department throws a picnic for graduating student at the department head's house in Council Grove, about 40 miles south of me. Thunderstorms predicted for today here but not there, so I took my 650 down at noon. Nice scenic road. Wind from the south didn't seem to slow me any. The 650 cuts through well and made for a pleasant ride with little buffeting. Only a few sprinkles. Many colorful bug guts on the Givi shield. Bike has amazing power to pass with. 60mph road with me running 70 indicated. Little traffic, but when I'd come up on anyone the 650 was around and back in seconds. I'd find myself at 95 instantly and back off with surprise. This scoot kicks!

Nice lunch. This class was an exeptionally large group and nearly all showed up. The boss lives on a city reservoir, with his own dock and boat house. He gives Boat rides. Everyone eats. Final chats with the students. Great bunch of young adults.

3:30, and the sky is darkening. I'd brought a light jacket so I put that on. Put all my gadgets in the trunk expecting rain. Said my goodbyes and headed north to home. I had the wind at my back, and found it hard to keep the 650 at 70. 70mph coming south had the engine at 5000rpm. Going north at 70 it ran at 4000rpm. That variable transmission magically finds the power point to keep me going the speed I want. With the headwind, it simply added 1000rpm to go 70. There are a few long straightaway sections on that road. I'd duck down and let the bike run a couple of times. It's amazing how easy the bike gets to 95. It doesn't seem to waver or flinch.

Found the rain right when I entered my hometown. Unfortunately I live on the opposite side, so got well drenched riding through town. My light windbreaker jacket proved to not be waterproof. Soaked me through. Going to have to get a rain suit.

85 miles added. Darth (my 650) said Thank You. It seemed to enjoy the ride as much as I did. The rain washed the bugs off the shield. I dried off well. Still raining.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Good story - thanks for the share. parties/get-togethers are usually always nice...even better when going and coming on a big burger...

doe! - did i just type that!? :oops:

rain rain go away...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frogg Toggs would work, but there's no one near me that sells them. I learned quickly to not buy clothing on the web because I'm a hard fit and need to try on anything I buy.

I went to Walmart today and found their Stearns brand of breathable wetware. Tried on and bought a nylon mesh-lined jacket with hood and some ripstop nylon mesh lined pants. The mesh lining keeps the plastic off the skin and provides air-space to keep you cool. I won't know how well they work until the next time I have to ride in the rain, but they look well made and promise to be waterproof.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
4DThinker, I road home (on the highway mostly), yesterday in fairly heavy rain too.

I did not bring my yellow and black rain jacket, because it is such a tight fit over my Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket, but I did put the black nylon rainpants under the seat.
(I had intended to buy something larger on the way out of town, but couldn't find anything suitable, not a pun)
I want bright yellow (for visibilty) lined high collar(to keep the back of my neck warm), removable hood (for walking around in the rain), velcro cuffs, not too heavy, so it will fit under my seat easily etc.

Couldn't find anything with all those attributes at the same time.

When it started to come down in earnest, I stopped and put those pants on. (zippered cuffs worked well, for overbooting.)

Other than a cold wet feeling at the back of my neck, I was comfortable all the way home. (apprehensiveness from riding in the rain, notwithstanding) Turned out to be not such a big deal anyway. A lot more confident now. (Love those Bridgestones and their high tech rubber.
Not like the tires I rode on 40 years ago!)

I guess what I am implying/wondering/asking? is will that combination of clothing be sufficient in future, Or did I just get lucky?

My jacket seemed to repel water OK, and of course the 3rd or inner liner is wind and waterproof.
Maybe that's enough.....or is it just becaise i was moving at speed most of the time and rain went around me?

I tend to overcompensate for everything, I'm a control freak. :wink:

Do I really need more/extra rainware?
Maybe some oversized dishwashing gloves to keep my leather ones dry?

Thoughts on this anyone.....

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
lilleyen said:
Do I really need more/extra rainware?
Maybe some oversized dishwashing gloves to keep my leather ones dry?

Thoughts on this anyone.....
Rick,

I carry some rubber overgloves in my trunk. I have not had to use them yet. The problem I see with rubber though is that it doesn't breathe at all - so your hands could get quite wet from prespiration while wearing them.

Boots and leather gloves should be rubbed down periodically with a good quality leather conditioner. This will give them some measure of water resistance. In a light shower they'll do fine if properly conditioned. In prolonged heavy rain they won't fare as well.

Another option would be to carry a spare set of gloves, preferably an older pair, to wear when it rains. If they get wet, no big deal.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lilleyen said:
I guess what I am implying/wondering/asking? is will that combination of clothing be sufficient in future, Or did I just get lucky?
I found that if I could keep going, my front and legs would stay pretty dry with the 650's air pocket. But I had to completely stop several times in the city, and that's when everything got soaked. If the rain had only been something I drove through on the highway I think I'd have ended up much drier. The most uncomfortable part was how wet my pants got, which soaked through to my skin. I was glad I was on the last leg and was home within 10 minutes or so. I basically had to strip in the garage as I was dripping wet all over. Fortunately I'm waterproof.

So did you get lucky? Sure. A little luck never hurts. Was I unlucky to get soaked? Naw. It's nature, not luck.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Thanks Paul.

You comments got me thinking.

If you can buy high tech fabric jackets that breath why can't you buy gloves made from the same material? :idea:

My gloves yesterday got only slightly damp, and my grip heaters helped a lot.
(was glad I got them)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It turns out I was right to leave that party when I did. I missed storms until I got back to my town 40 miles north. But my boss said that about 20 minute after I left it started raining down there, and it didn't quit until more than 5" had fallen. He had water over his lake wall and into his boathouse. Fortunately the party died when I left and all the students were gone or leaving when the rain started.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
4DThinker said:
I won't know how well they work until the next time I have to ride in the rain,
Dave B.
Don't you have a shower in your house ? :lol:

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
My leather gloves are about 5 years old and have been wet many times. Once they dry they are always fine and I've never conditioned them. (Not saying I shouldn't, only that I haven't). I like the look of them now, old and faded, shows I've ridden a lot.

Rain gear for me is Gore Tex type jacket and pants purchased at a local army navy store, on sale for about $39 each. Tried them on over my gear before buying so I know they fit.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Got caught in the rain again yesterday (today too actually).

I was coming home from Mississauga.
Went all the way there on Hwy 5, stop and go, nothing but red lights and Saturday shoppers. NNNGGGG :x

Coming home I decided to use the QEW superslab.
First time on one, but it was getting dark and thundery and I wanted to hightail it home.
Of course as soon as I got up to 120 kms it started to rain hard.

Aside from the water hitting my face shield like rocks, it didn't really affect me much, but it was quite gusty.
All of a sudden three lanes of brake lights! :roll:

Sure glad I had ABS brakes.

After all the excitement died down it became obvious that that the idiot parked at the side of the highway had NOT tied down the plastic lawn chairs in the back of his pickup truck and they had flown like a bunch of leaves out of his truck and onto the highway.

I wonder how he would feel today if his stupidity had cost a bunch of people their lives for this bonehead trick. :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts