Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Been joined up for quite some time now and thought I had already posted here but apparently not. I'm 40something, 5'7", 175lbs and have been enjoying my 2004 400 Burgman for almost a year. It's the best riding I've ever had in my 30 year motorcycling history.

Eric in Grand Haven, Michigan

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Eric. Glad to have you join us.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Hey, neighbor! :hello2:

(Eric was already nice enough to private-message me when I joined this past week.)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Howdy Eric and welcome aboard!
Pete

·
Registered
925 Posts
Welcome to the forums Eric :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Eric

Well I suppose this is a for the record welcome - you have been a member here as long as I have! :hello2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
:triplets:
Well, that settles it, we now have to start a TRI-CITIES scooter gang.
EKP (Eric) in Grand Haven
FRUGALITY in Spring Lake
Blueburg of Happiness (Steve) in Ferrysburg
I've already met Eric, last fall and look forward to riding with you again.
I rode about 80 miles yesterday when the temp hit 50 deg. The worst part was getting the burg out of the back yard. For some reason that back tire just doesn't like snow. Have you ever had your burgman going sideways?
What a rush!
Look forward to meeting you FRUGALITY
:D
Steve

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Steve,

The rear tire doesn't like wet grass or mud either. I've dug a few tire width trenches getting the Burgman from the front porch to the road. 8)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tri- Cities Scooters

Hey Steve,

Dean said he saw a Blue Burgman with a top-box over by the Lakes Mall. Was that you? I havent got to do anything but look and sit on Mine since Nov. 6 because its residing on a dirt (mud) road this winter but dream about riding it several times daily-I can barely wait! I've also already talked to Dean about getting together to ride so lets hope it can happen soon. I'm ready :)

Eric

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Re: Tri- Cities Scooters

ekp said:
I've also already talked to Dean about getting together to ride so lets hope it can happen soon. I'm ready :)
Well....it seems we got a 'group'....but only 2 of the 3 in the group have rides. :)

I PM'd Steve; I think it was him I saw. There's also a guy in Muskegon I PM'd.

·
Registered
25 Posts
:D Small world, yep that was me. Came down Sternburg to Old Grand Haven Rd. Just a bit too chilly to take the highway. Actualy after that I ended up in Allendale to visit my daughter and the babies. Why phone when you can ride the burg.
Dean, I saw in the Classifieds that there's a 650 for sale in Chicago for 5K
That's what I paid for mine with 1600 miles on it. From a guy in Hudsonville. Only mine was custom modified with alot of side scratches. Seems to have been dropped both ways. Might be worth looking into unless you're holding out for a new one.
The guy in Muskegon is Corvairbob. He's done all kinds of mods to his burg. He's a real handyman.
Eric, time to buy a bigger shed! :lol:
Later dudes!
Steve :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's taking sooooo looooong?

Hey Dean,

Whoops, I got ahead of myself thinking like you already had a burgman to ride. This seems like the longest winter I can remember- its been :x FOUR MONTHS :cry: since I rode Burgman and I'm getting ansy to hit the road.

My biggest decision is whether to get a K and N air filter. Any thoughts anybody about this filter obsession of mine thinking it will make a noticeable difference in acceleration?

Eric

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Eric,

Changing to a K&N filter can help performance - or it can hurt it. My dealer has a dyno, and I'm told that more often than not, performance does not improve when going to a K&N AND a pipe. Sometimes performance even suffers. Just doing the K&N probably won't make a huge difference one way or another. That would be my guess. But it is not a huge expenditure, and it is probably worth what it would cost just to satisfy your curiousity. And of course you would report the results and satisfy OUR curiousity too. :wink:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
My thinking -- such as it is -- is this: if K&N air filters really offered the bolt-on horsepower that K&N claims, the OEM's would all be using similar filters as original equipment on new cars. They wouldn't neglect simple improvements like that.

I also participate on a TDI (diesel) VW board. No one seems to have gotten any gains from a K&N filter there. Now, our cars are turbocharged, which pretty easily overcomes any airway restrictions anyway. On a Burgie's normally-aspirated engine, maybe a little flow improvement would help. But nothing works better at filtering than a plain old pleated paper filter.

I gotta swing into Babbitts and see what kind of deal they can give me on a new '05 650...then we can ride. Or I can get insurance going on the Hawk and ride that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dean,:D :)
I would also suggest checking with Shawmut Hills on M45 in Grand Rapids. They seem to be nice to work with. I haven't been too inpressed with Babbits, mainly when I was in the market for an ATV a few years ago. They did not want to deal on anything, so I ended up at Yamaha and got a great deal on a new 03 Kodiak. (That's my other favorite toy)
That's just my 2 cents.
Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts