Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just went over to the Dark side or is it the Light Side
Federal Formosa FD1 165/60R14 installed on my 05' Burgman 650 today.

I will be giving it a honest evaluation, that is as soon as it cools down from about 107 degrees out to at least 85 degrees out.

So at midnight I will go for a test ride

It is supposed to be 85 degrees for the next 5 days a little break from the scorching heat.

But the coast is 70 degrees every day.

Time to ride to the coast.

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
Just take it easy till you know how this combo works. It will corner different. It will brake better, a plus in the rain.

So just find a quite parking lot, with no Tavern/BAR's around at 12 AM. The LEO have no sense of humor. Try slowly cornering back and forth. Then a bit faster and add some braking action while in a corner. After a bit do some panic stops. It is far better to learn on a quite parking lot than in the middle of rush hour traffic in Portland. This I recomend even with new motorcycle tires.

Post your opinion on the main Darkside topic on the 650 forum.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dave where do you think i will coming from if not the bar.

Ill at least have to have a couple of pints to get me blood flowing, Maybe i will wait till after the ride.

I am in the southern Less Rainy section, i am also in the rural part of town, we do have them extra large Jack rabbits (DEER) everywhere.

Just take it easy till you know how this combo works. It will corner different. It will brake better, a plus in the rain.

So just find a quite parking lot, with no Tavern/BAR's around at 12 AM. The LEO have no sense of humor. Try slowly cornering back and forth. Then a bit faster and add some braking action while in a corner. After a bit do some panic stops. It is far better to learn on a quite parking lot than in the middle of rush hour traffic in Portland. This I recomend even with new motorcycle tires.

Post your opinion on the main Darkside topic on the 650 forum.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
First thought, Before even riding it.

Get rid of that big Ugly Black Plastic, rear fender, that hangs down so low and does not provide anything to the bike.

It is being used as a License plate holder and reflector holder.

I can make a better looking one that does not cover up the rear wheel so much.

I have not liked the look of the black fender from day one.

I realize the engineer tried to create some symmetry in proportions but it just don't cut it.

Besides that the new CT is hidden in there, it may need some exposure, more to come on that

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
Its called a Fenderectomy and many of us have done it. :D Do a search.

I can leave a huge "Rooster" tail behind me in the rain. :p

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yea

I took off the rear wheel, took it to my local Motorcycle shop.

They removed the old tire, Old tire had a 1.5" wide cut across the tire, it looked like the tread was starting to De-laminate.

Then they installed a new valve stem, and new CT and balanced the assembly.

What cause me to start looking for a problem was i was loosing 10 psi per week in the rear tire.

This tire still had some life left in it, it was oem bridgstone.

I check Both of the tires once a week front always is the same never loosing any air.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fenderectomy,

Yea that is the way I want it, I can still use the shovel I cut off to clean the Cat box.

Darn cat, i show it a 1000 times, it just don't learn.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well Dave i did Not go to a parking lot.

I took my regular road which is a rural 2 lane road this is my coarse it is what i call going around the block, it is roughly 30 miles.

When i go to test out one of my bikes, a modification usually or just a quick relaxing ride.

I hate to say i have 7 motorcycles currently.

But I am happy to say That i am down from 13 bikes just this last year.

They all have to be ridden and upgraded on a continuous basis.

It is tough work But i enjoy it.

I am still trying to condense down the collection, the Burgman 650 will be a keeper.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I Just got back from a 60 mile ride all was twisty canyon back roads.

The new Rear tire performed well as a initial run but more miles will need to be run.

So far the handling the turn in with the CT was quicker than the MC this was a small surprise, but a welcome one.

Handling was also good, as good as MT for this short run, My thought was Better, but this was a short run.

Braking was the same, Panic Braking was good, better than MT and also was a surprise.

I did try to brake through a turn,

But My normal riding is Braking must be done before turn to 1/4 to 1/3 of turn No later, by that time you better be off the brakes and into the throttle.

I have seen more guys loose it by trying to go to hot into a turn then brake late into a turn and then go down, Most of my hard braking is done, before the turn up to 1/4 to 1/3 into turn, nothing later than that.

The bike transfers weight funny, or loss of traction, or both, you down.

I want maximum weight transfer before the turn if possible.

Especially in the tight twisties that have a lot of gravel in every turn

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I now have 160miles on the new Federal Formoza Car tire.

I have the following done to my Burgman 650
1. Racetech Front suspension springs and emulator
2. 412 Progressive Rear Shocks
3. Cary Vincent Seat
4. Federal Formoza Car Tire 165/60R14 on Rear

All I can say is the Car tire was the missing piece of the puzzle.

While the Rear Progressive shocks where one of if not the best improvements done.

I will have to say the car tire was also a significant improvement.

I only wish I would have made the switch sooner, like second day of ownership of my scoot.

With all items listed it has transformed my scoot into a very near Goldwing experience.

It has much more comfort in long rides.

I was on the freeway riding this morning at average 80mph, there is a bit of a wag at that speed, but no big deal, very comfortable.

I was riding through a canyon with a lot of curves, and switchbacks, I taking most turns at double the posted speed.

I am 35psi in the rear tire, and will be checking it once a week to make sure i dont have a leaky tire.

·
Registered
748 Posts
You said you're @ 35 psi in the rear tire, so how do you know that? From experimenting, or what others have found to work? I don't need to be experimenting when I switch, lol.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I tried 40psi at first, suspension was firmer, while not bad at all, bike did not give me any reason to change other than just to do it.

I then dropped down to 30 psi it felt a little soft, a little to much movement, is the only way to explain it.

I wanted to try a middle of the road.

And yes i did see that most people like the rear set to 35-PSI, so that is what i am trying now, I may leave it there for a few days.

While I am still breaking in the tire, 200miles is my breakin.

I said I am at 35psi, that does not mean that I am finished the final number or best setting.

Day Two that's where i am, stay tuned more to come.

As I have only had the Car tire on for two days, & 160 miles.

I am far from threw with my testing, at least give me a week.

But I have to say I have the Progressive Rear shocks,

so my setup may be different than yours, we may not be comparing apples to apples as the stock OEM rear suspension is NOT the same, as the progressive rear suspension not by a long shot.

But the car tire is for me much better,
and that is NOT taking into account that it last longer or is cheaper that is just that the ride is improved, more comfortable, handling is improved and Braking.

I was out riding and decided to get on the freeway today, there were a few bikes riding together getting on the freeway in front of me two Big Harleys, and a GL1800 Goldwing,

I was behind them, (this was my first time on the freeway with the New Car tire on) as we were getting on the freeway on ramp,

I stayed behind the bikes and when I noticed the fast lane was clear, cranked it up to 85mph the other bikes were doing probably 65mph, I passed them like they were in reverse.

I did not notice any vibration, very smooth, smoother than the MC tire.

Before 85 was a uncomfortable speed, now no problem i did notice a little tail wag very slight, more testing will have to be done, maybe different air pressures.

I agree with pretty much everything that "Knucklehead" has said about the Federal Formoza 165/60R14, FD1, Car tire, he nailed it with his review

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok so here is a picture or two of my New cat tire mounted an my recent fenderlabottomy.

I hit 200+ miles yesterday Still loving that Rear tire.

Although this setup is still no where near as comfortable or as good of a handling bike as the Honda NC700X is, and at roughly 80mpg average for the NCX, it cannot compete in MPG, The NCX is also a Faster Bike, but the old Burgman is getting better & better all the time.

I use it as my new Goldwing sport touring machine, which it is really good at.

I am not as into the 900-1000-lbs bikes any more, they are to cumbersome and unweildly after riding a lighter more agile machine like the B650.

I will probably sell a few of my Goldwings as i have been trying to get this Burgman 650 as close as i can to filling that slot, so i can thin the heard some more.

I had 13 motorcycle last year now I am down to 7 bikes, i would like to get down to maybe 4.

I have too many bikes to manage and keep ridden, and maintain, and registered and insured.

But I see both bikes as a Tool that have a job, each doing something well. I would not get rid of either.

That is about 4" cut off of the Rear Fender.

Seems you can see the rear tire better and more of it.

Also seems like you can see the Rear Progressive shocks more, probably just my imagination.

In one shot you can see part of my 58' Corvette, and my NC700X, and a few of my Goldwings.

The shop is a 3200sq ft insulated building with two very large roll up High bay doors.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
So how close is the speedo now? Most have said only a couple of mph fast now, how about you?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cant tell you what the deviation is.

I need to start looking for a good mount for my Garmin.

And another mount for my Radar detector.

That is next, a mount for each.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I have a couple of Problems with the Car Tire.

Big problems

I rode more than 120 miles today

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Problems are I am riding it much faster than before,

where I was doing 55mph before,

now i am doing 85mph, if my speed was off before, and is closer to being correct, now, then i am going faster than i should.

I now am going to need to get a Radar detector Mount.

My Burgman has become More Fun to ride, as it seems more sporty, & comfortable to ride, and it has inspired more confidence, and has me pushing it more than i had before, because it is much easier to ride and is more comfortable..

Almost like a different bike

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I dont know erik, I like what i see

My B650 Car Tire Now has 600 Miles on it, and it has excellent grip, My bike handles way better than before.

I am used to the CT now and have no negatives, the WAG I had on the freeway is gone.

Thank you DaveJ & Knucklehead for their input.

My bike is more enjoyable now.

I have not played with changing any Tire air pressure, as it just seems to be right the way it is at 35-Psi, maybe later.

I ride on a very twisty canyon road that has switchbacks and gravel on those twisty switchback laden roads.

With the Car tire my confidence with the B650 has grown much more than with the Motorcycle tire.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have been sitting on the fence about going to the dark side for the past few years and have decided to give it a try on the Burgman. Just ordered one of these Federal Formoza tires. My back is looking forward to feeling the new ride with the combination of the Progressive Suspension shocks and the car tire. Thanks for all of the updates on what you have been experiencing with them, westgl.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts