Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 05 Burgman a week and a half ago. I drove up to Muscatine, Iowa (about 90 miles away) to look at a couple of used Silverwings. As soon as I got there, the salesman says, "I just got a used Burgman 650. An 05 with only 2,000 miles on it. I test rode the Silverwing, and then test rode the Burgman. I test rode the Silverwing again, and then test rode the Burgman, again. I just felt like the Burgman was so much more bike and gave me better protection from the elements. I didn't take my wife for a ride, but she sat on the back and liked the seat and footrests much better on the Burgman. Unfortunately, the Burgman was about $1,000 more than the Silverwing, which was an 04 with 2700 miles on it.

I'm not new to Scootering as I used to have a Honda Aero 125, but I gave it up 10 years ago. The 90 mile ride home was a blast until it got dark. Doing 65 down a country four-lane highway I was afraid an animal might run out in front of me. Fortuntely, no animals were to be found.

I have not taken any long trips yet, mostly just to and from work (only 3 miles) and of course, my 17-year old visually impaired son loves to ride with me. I plan to attend some fundraising rides in the fall.

If there are any other Burgman riders in West Central Illinois I would love to hear from them.

Brian

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
EXCELLENT!
Well dollgarnit - welcome into the fold Brian. :D Bravo on your new aquisition. :) May you and your passengers have many miles of smiles! I think you'll soon realize how nice the headlamps are...
Cheers!
Pete

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Brian - welcome to the forum. The Silverwing is an OK machine but you have chosen the more capable LARDY! :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Brian. Glad to have you join us. Congratulations on the 'Pre-Loved' Burgman 650. I think you made a great choice.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Brian,

Welcome & well met!

I too, own a 650, just got it about a month ago. When I first started looking into the maxi-scoots, I was all over the Silverwing. Shopped like crazy looking at every used SW I could find. Finally found a sound bike at the Suzuki dealer here in town, & like you went there to check it out. It was a great bike, in better than fair condition (prev owner laid it down 2 blocks from the dealer & scratched up the tuperware a bit) & had a great $4k price on it.

I was all set to sit down & start the paperwork, when the salesman offered to show me the Suzuki's. He had a 400 & a 650, both shiny blue brand new on the floor. He showed me everything about them, let me sit on them, etc.

I was dumbfounded. Here I was all ready to plop down cash for the SW & then got blindsided by the Burgmans. I told the salesman I'd have to think it over, came home & started my search all over again. It was lust at first sight, & I had to have an AN650.

After a bit of searching, I found one on eBay, it was quite a bit more than the SW I was ready to buy, but still a great deal for an 03 low mile 650. Did the deal, & haven't been sorry even once that I spent the extra dough on it!

Again Welcome!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome

Hi there Brian from NZ. Good choice of bike/scooter. I have not ridden a Silverwing but from what Ive read and from riding experience on the AN650 I'm sure you will find it to be excellent fun. The AN650 I bought here in New Zealand came from the States, ex demo. I find the headlights to be very good but found it is only fitted with one high beam bulb in the left light. A friend who has a Burgman that was brought over from Australia has a highbeam in both lights.
I was wondering is it normal for bikes in the States to only have one high beam light? even if fitted with dual headlamps.
Have fun on that Burgman. Garry

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Re: Welcome

GARRY said:
I was wondering is it normal for bikes in the States to only have one high beam light? even if fitted with dual headlamps.
Have fun on that Burgman. Garry
No. Someone must have removed the other bulb. Anything sold in the states is always symmetrical. Can't have one bright light and one dim light here. (Well, I guess you can, depending on where you live, but I don't think anyone would want to, just may not know).

Joe

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: Welcome

GARRY said:
...but found it is only fitted with one high beam bulb in the left light.
Garry,

You've probably got a blow bulb. Replace it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi again, billmeek suggests a blown bulb, I wish in some sense it was only that. When it was pointed out to me that only one high beam was going I was about to replace what I thought would have been a blown bulb but when I looked at the light the one in the right lense has a smaller bulb and fitting in the lense itself.
Looks like a mission to get to the front lights, has anyone got a sequence to get into the lights for bulb changing? I don't have a manual.
I'll get back to the dealer and find out why both mine and the father in laws bike only have the one highbeam. Once I get that remedied I'm sure the lights will prove to be even better than they are now.
The best headlight I have come across on a bike was on the BMW K1100RS which I fitted a 100 watt highbeam bulb to, lit the road up as well as a cars lights. Regards Garry

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Welcome to the forum libclarkb .... closest to you that I know of on this forum is a chap in Lincoln. Anybody else closer to him SPEAK UP. :wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The Burgman 650, and for that matter all dual lamp Suzukis sold in the USA, light both sides on both high and low beams. Yamaha does not. All the Yamahas I've seen lately light one side for high beam and the other for low beam. I never liked that approach. You definitely have something awry, and you are missing 50% of your high beam performance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Howdy libclarkb; welcome to the forum.
You'll enjoy the Burgman. I bought one without a test ride. Riding in the rain is a real experience... you don't get wet unless it's a real frog-strangler downpour.

Happy trails...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts