Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The motorcycle show was last weekend. I just fell in love with the Burgman 400. It seemed so right. Well my husband (BMW R1150RT) is helping me get into riding. He seems to really want me on a bike rather than a scooter. The salesman wanted me on a bike rather than a scooter, but I DON'T want me on a bike! I can't comfortably lift my right leg to mount the darn things. I want a SCOOTER!

I'd be riding with the big boys. They drive several hundered miles on the weekends.

So the Suzuki dealer didn't have any Burgmans, but did have the Honda Silver Wing. Nice but its a bit too heavy and the backrest on the seat is too far back. The Yamaha dealer didn't have any scooters out either. He claims it isn't spring!

Now my husband thinks that maybe scooters will be okay, but then thinks the AN400 will not have enough power.

I've seen someone here say that the AN650 was roomier? Does this mean that the backrest is going to be too far back, like the silver wing again?

I'm 5'3.5", 128lbs.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Vicky.
The butt adjuster/backrest on the 650 is adjustable (fwd and back).
In my opinion, with your diminutive size, I would think that a scooter would be great. If you are comfy sitting on it well then, dammit, PUSH THE BUTTON!!! :twisted: The big 400 will prolly definitely do (from what I've heard/read) 70+ (and more)... ALLLL DAAAAAY LONG. SO - get the big scoot (400?) Use your hubbies credit card and get some satellite hookups and surround sound happinin, and, well, just smile. BE CAREFUL THOUGH!!!.....cause you could get - a smile cramp! dat gummit - sometimes I do....

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Hate to say it, but sounds to me like all the boys are just doing there macho thing.
I don't know if the 400 can keep up, I do know it will do 18 mph over the Texas speed limits of 75..
As far as the seat goes, you have to find a dealer and sit a while ,even then like a lot of us you may want to replace it,
but compared to getting a ride you can handle and you like, that's small matter 8)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Why not get your hubby to spend a few hours reading this site? It pretty much covers all the stuff he's objecting about in an amazingly fair and open manner. Pros and cons are both discussed at length.

On another subject, I weigh 300 pounds, am built like an overweight gorilla, and cruise at 70 MPH with no problems at all on my 400. Tell your husband about me! I liked it better than the 650 when I test-rode both, and do not regret my decision. The only reason I might ever "move up" is because Suzuki is apparently coming out with an adjustable windscreen on the 650, and I covet it enough to maybe make me put up with the extra weight and needless buttonry.

You might also warn Hubby that the biggest danger he faces is that many people get Burgmans for their wives, then end up buying a second Burgie for themselves and canning the big "macho" bike when they come to realze how much fun two wheels can _really_ be. It all begins when he says for the first time, "Honey, can I stash this under your seat? You have _so_ much more room than I do..."

Then you just smile and wait. The time is coming.

"Come, Hubby! Come on over to dark side, and join with us on the Burgman Forum! Together we shall scooterize the Universe!"

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Vicky,

Welcome to the forum.

I am your same size and I drive the Burgman 650. I had the chance to sit on them side by side at the local dealer. While the 400 was shorter and lighter I found I could hold up the 650 just fine. I liked the larger wheels and the extra power. I too ride with the BIG BOYS :lol: The butt rest moves and I keep mine on the second to last position back. I also ride with an AirHawk seat cushion for added comfort on long rides (over 200 miles per day).

I think either machine is adequate for touring I just liked the bigger one better :wink:

The 650's won't be available until March, but that is right around the corner. Just enough time to take the Motorcycle Safety Course.

Good luck and I hope you are riding soon.

Janine

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
My husband wouldn't let me get a scooter last year and ended up getting himself a bigger bike and giving me the Volusia. Nice bike but wasn't what I wanted.And I wasn't comfortable on it. Almost a year later, he finally gave in and let me get the scooter and it's been wonderful. Don't cave to what others think you should have, get what you feel comfortable on and what you like because you will be the one riding it.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
all yall.
i hate to type it but...LMAOROTF!!!! :lol:
how true! how true!
now.....
Vicky - darnit...
GO ON AN GET IT GRRRRL!!!!!!!
Ta heck with all of the he-men mizzmoss bling idilly bing bull ba ba ba hockey.
These Scooters fly!
.....'specially the burgz. :twisted:
ps - pls tell me you pushed that button!

be quiet peet - be quiet... :oops:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your responses.

Janine,
While the 400 was shorter and lighter I found I could hold up the 650 just fine. I liked the larger wheels and the extra power.
When you sit on the scooter, can you put your feet flat on the ground? I could with the 400 and even the silver wing (29.1) but with the 650 I'm on my toes. Sitting on the 400 really felt right. It was EASY to pull upright. How important is that? Tell me what the bigger wheels and more power do for you. And will I take an insurance hit for that extra power?

Pinwheel, why the 400 instead of the 650?

And did you tryout Silver Wings and Majestys?

What was it about your burgman that said "THIS IS THE ONE".

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
vickyg2003 said:
Pinwheel, why the 400 instead of the 650?
Our finances are limited right now due the new house. The 400 was a good deal(pre-loved) that I couldn't pass up. It got me riding NOW instead of waiting until mid-March and then I would still needed to come up with several thousand more. Also insurance quotes for me played a serious factor as well.
So, I got the 400 to enjoy now and when things are better and if the 06 is an executive model then I will move up to the 650.
But of course if I hit the winning lottery numbers soon, the first 650 that hits the showroom floor is mine. :wink:

edit - The silverwing, I felt cramped on. I'm 5'7" and my jeans run 33/34 in the length. The majesty, I'm sure it is a good bike. I just prefer the looks of the burgman.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Vicky

If there's any way you can borrow a couple of candidates for maybe half an hour each, that would tell you lots. At 6'5" and 230# and several years past when you'd expect it, I bought a used an400k3, spent some money and time tidying it up. It has been a pleasure, messing about with its carapace parts, and just cruising around. It's less about proving anything while riding, and more about having fun while riding.

There is one thing you want to keep in mind, for better or for worse -- the other riders are going to be much more interested in you and your Burgman, than in your husband's BMW....

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Vicky,

I am just flat footed if I am at the front of the seat and without the AirHawk pillow. I am on my toes if I have the pillow and I am sitting back. I can lean slightly to either side and have that foot flat. I see a lot of sport bike riders in the same position. I sit on the seat then erect the bike then put up the center stand. I have had no problems with this routine.

The larger tires provide a smoother ride and take the rough roads a bit better. They should also wear longer.

I still have a 150cc Vespa ET4 so I wanted a real power difference. The Vespa goes 70 MPH and since I got the Burgman for touring I wanted good passing ability at highway speeds. I have found the 650 delivers when needed. I guess the comparison there is like a donkey and a race horse.

I live in South Florida and I pay almost the same to insure the Vespa as I do the Burgman, about $40 differnce.

If you can handle it and afford it I wouldn't hesitate to get the 650. It all depends on how it feels to you. :?

Janine

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The larger tires provide a smoother ride and take the rough roads a bit better...... If you can handle it and afford it I wouldn't hesitate to get the 650.
Did you test drive the 400? If the ride is smoother, and I can straighten the bike, would that mean I could "handle" it?

I've ridden a honda spree but have no idea if I can handle a 650. That additional weight intimidates me. I've been working out with weights for 2 years, I can do 20 or so mens style pushups, but I'm not a really strong woman. I wish I could test drive them!

Vicky

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Like anything you haveta balance.... you'll get used to it. (sury to go outta line. :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
O.K. Vicki what are we really talking about here. I am 5'4" and yes if I wanted to push myself I could ride the 650 with no sweat leaning of course to one side for a stop. On the 400 I am on tipy toes until hopefully my Corbin seat comes in and lowers that height. If that is not the case, after 2 days I know that will not be a problem because I am already readjusting.

You need to get what is most comfortable for you and no one else. Ego has a lot to do with selection, but I will tell you that I am so surprised with how nimble and quick this scoot (400) is in traffic. I don't know about the open road yet cause I haven't tried it, but on backroads I was up to 60 mph before I knew it and had to slow down because I was way beyond the speed limit.

You will not be disappointed with speed; weight; insurance rates; rides. Noise from windshield is the biggest problem for me, but if you are short waisted this may not be a problem for you.

Buy what is right for you regardless of whoever tells you different :!:

Evelyn

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
vickyg2003 said:
The larger tires provide a smoother ride and take the rough roads a bit better...... If you can handle it and afford it I wouldn't hesitate to get the 650.
Did you test drive the 400? If the ride is smoother, and I can straighten the bike, would that mean I could "handle" it?

I've ridden a honda spree but have no idea if I can handle a 650. That additional weight intimidates me. I've been working out with weights for 2 years, I can do 20 or so mens style pushups, but I'm not a really strong woman. I wish I could test drive them!

Vicky
Vicky,

If you feel intimidated by the larger Burgman or uncomfortable in any way then by all means consider the 400. I have always pushed myself to the limit and hope one day to be driving the first 1000cc scooter, but that is me. You MUST do what is right for you. Many large men on this forum are perfectly happy with their 400 Burgmans. And don't worry about KEEPING UP. First you ride at your comfort level and second the 400 will go faster than any legal speed limit in the USA. I ride the Vespa at 70 MPH on 10" wheels. It gets a bit bumpy, but they are 10" wheels on a 240 lb scooter. :D For me it's a thrill. My husband thinks I'm nuts, well he thinks I'm nuts most of time anyhow. Try the 400 and if you find it isn't what you want then wait for the Executive model to come to this side of the pond and trade up. Just remember, once you're moving size doesn't matter :wink:

Janine

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Vicky,

If you are comfortable with the 400, I suggest it's the bike for you. If you were planning on riding 2 up touring, I'd suggest the 650. The 400 does 0 to 60 in about 10 seconds and tops out at about 95 (indicated) MPH with my 230 pounds of weight. The performance of the 400 will surprise regular motorcycle riders and should be more than adaquate for riding with most motorcycle groups. I think it's more important tht you get a bike that you are comfortable with than suiting others. If you're comfortable, you'll enjoy the ride more and will spend more time riding.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Vicky,

I hear you about the test ride-wish I could get one on a 650. That said I love my 400. I ride with 1500 and 1800cc Goldwings and have no problem keeping up with them for 200-300 hundred miles in a day. I agree with Lapine Rider--get your husband to read this forum. My significant other discovered the forum first and encouraged me to consider the Burgman. I started on a cycle and wasn't nearly as comfortable as I am on the burgie.
If I move up it will be to the 650, nothing against the Silverwing or Majesty--check them out, but I love my Burgman the best. By the wayI ride all day on the freeway and yes I can pass vehicles as necessary and I use the passing lever that flashes the bright lights provided on the left grip.

Burgwoman400 USA

·
Registered
848 Posts
Vicky;
Get the machine that you are comfortable with. If you are a new or newer rider stay on the small side. You can always trade up if needed but I doubt you would need to. There are a lot of big men riding 400's and keeping up with just about anyone but the most skilled riders on the fastest bikes. If you get more machine than you are comfortable with then it will be unpleasant and you won't want to ride. After all, this riding scooters business is only about putting smiles on your face. A word of warning to your husband though: All the attention at lunch stops etc. will be focused on the Burgman, not on the Beemers and other expensive metal, especially when you take off your jacket and helmet and store them under the seat!

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hi Vicky! One of my best friends bought a new R1150RT about a week before I bought my 650 last spring. A few weeks later he took a ride on my Burgman and came back smiling and grumbling, "Why didn't you talk me into this scooter before I bought my Beemer? That was FUN."
So, just a word to the wise, don't let your husband ride your Burgman when you get it or you won't be the only one in your group with a scooter. :wink:
Don

·
Registered
553 Posts
400 shorter?

JKerstinJ said:
Vicky,

Welcome to the forum.

While the 400 was shorter and lighter I found I could hold up the 650 just fine.

Janine
The 400 is only shorter in the seat height, the other dimentions are virually the same. :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts