Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now the proud new owner of a 2005 Silver Burgman 650. At 19000 miles, what all needs to be done to it? Belt? Oil I know about. Brake fluid flush I know about. Anything else? And what is this famed stopped bolt I always hear has to be replaced? What does it do?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Congratulations! In 2000 miles take it for a minor service. Have the bike checked out and go from there.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Belt is lifetime.. never replaced.. supposedly

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Belt is lifetime.. never replaced.. supposedly
Depends on your definition of lifetime. :p. Assuming no other problems in the CVT it should last at least 50,000 miles and probably much more than that.

I would go ahead and change all the fluids (including coolant and brake fluid) as well as the filters. The stopper bolt is on the bottom of the CVT. It keeps the primary pulley from spinning when the adjuster motor engages. You need to check it for excessive wear. Small dings on it are normal. If it has deep notches in it replace it. Then keep a watch on it to see if they quickly reappear. If so then you may have something going wrong inside the CVT.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Congrats! My first 650 was a low-mileage, used '05. Rode it for almost three years with zero problems. If it wasn't for a jaw-dropping deal on an '07 with 900 miles, I would have kept it a lot longer.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have a service manual in a pdf form that they'd be willing to email? I had gotten one from someone on here for my 400. Didn't know if there was somewhere I could get one. I really don't like dealers touching my bikes. Things always mysteriously don't work the same or it has quite a few extra miles on it after I get it back.

·
Administrator
18,752 Posts
There ya have it, buy a new set of gloves and then must get a new bike to ride with them. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Saw that bike and thought it was a great buy 19,000 miles, new tires, fresh oil change, all that luggage with color matched mounts. All that for 3,150. Was that a good price on it?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Anyone have a service manual in a pdf form that they'd be willing to email? I had gotten one from someone on here for my 400. Didn't know if there was somewhere I could get one. I really don't like dealers touching my bikes. Things always mysteriously don't work the same or it has quite a few extra miles on it after I get it back.
http://www.tradebit.com/filesharing.php/search/0/suzuki+an650

Try this. For $10, can't go wrong. Works great on an iPad.

·
Registered
753 Posts
A decent price for sure. Last year I paid $4000 for a 2007 Executive that had 3500 miles on it. 11,000 miles later I am quite pleased with my purchase. I think that you will be with yours.

I put a larger windshield on the bike as well as a better saddle. Living in Idaho heated grips were quickly added too. And since I already had a 50 liter Givi top box I mounted that as well. After turkey dinner is done I am going to go for yet another ride and mentally pat myself on the back for making such a fine purchase. Funny how easy that is to do.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My deal last May wasn't as good as Rustydust's, but I'm still happy about it. I got a cherry 2006 650 with about 22,000 miles on it for $4,000 ... a bit much but it was absolutely cherry. I immediately changed all fluids, stopper bolt, and air filter. Next riding season I'll do the CVT filter and brake fluid (previous owner did it just before I bought it from him). Oh, I also changed the plugs. Congrats on your purchase.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts