Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,it has arrived.

My 05 Silver Burgman is now safely resting in my driveway. And it was a little trip getting here. We bought it on ebay from a dealer in the middle of Iowa in late June. We bought it there because my lovely, patient, and very understanding SO's parents would be in the area to visit family. Being a longtime rider, we thought that he would be a good judge of whether the biker was a good a deal as we thought. After driving it around and making sure that the owners manual and tool kit was with the bike, he begrudingly said that he thought the bike was in sound condition. He didn't really give the impression of liking it (I bet his left foot felt useless).

The bike then took a trip through Iowa for various stops and then over to Idaho. While in Iowa, there were several requests to ride it around the block...LOL. Also, on the road, they met someone driving a burgman with a trailer. Lyle peppered the man with many questions and came away somewhat impressed. Whoever that was, thanks for the vote of confidence.

The bike was then placed on a transporter to be brought further west to Portland. I have to give a shout out to Three Joker's Transportation (http://www.threejokersinc.com/). They were the cheapest price but by no means the least in customer service. They worked with us to give options on picking up and dropping off the bike, kept us abreast of progress and picked a great truckstop to pick the bike up. In fact, as we pulled under the bridge, there was their truck right besides us. Their setup is great and the driver was fantastic.

Then it was time to hit the road. And there were some lessons learned on the trip. Some include:
- 75 KM is not the same as 75 MPH. Well I didn't notice that the speedometer was set in the wrong measurement at first. So the folks in my trail car were very puzzled.
- The bike rides great!!!!!
- While they are both scooters, this is a very different bike than a Honda 80 or a Honda CL70 (a 69 and runs great).
- A helmet can't contain a big old grin, no matter how snug it is.
- They are quicker than a bat out of you know where.
- And I have a lot to learn still.

I will be trying to update on this but I wanted to share my excitement with those who would most understand.

I have even found a great name for the bike. Burgman is not directly translatable to Japanese, but the word burg is castle in German. Running Castle man through an online translator give me:

SUJUKI SHIRO JIN

And now the custom pinstriping designing begins.

Bob :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
mrwizard10 said:
...I have even found a great name for the bike.

...SUJUKI SHIRO JIN
Su Ju Ki? :?:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Congrats on finally getting the new ride. Now let them (S)miles rack up !

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Welcome to the Burgman family Bob. Now you have a case of "Permagrin" :D

Don't forget to add your scooter's name to the thread in the General Topics. It's called "What's Your Scooter's Name" :wink: You will find some interesting posts there.

Janine :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Welcome Bob and congrats on the purchase.

Just a word of warning though - it gets better every ride! :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kilometer vs. MPH

Same thing happened to me when I test drove my new Burgman before buying. I didn't realize the speedometer had been set to Kilometers. I couldn't figure out why I was holding up traffic and then realized how slow I was actually traveling. The speedometer said 50, but of course I was only going about 30 mph. Since buying the bike I now have the speedometer set to MPH.
Brian

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome

I am looking forward to the ride and to making things fully official. It is time to register and pay the sales tax on the bike.

More to come.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Must be a 650....my 400 has an analog speedometer that is not selectable...but does show KPH in tiny numbers for comparison. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorta registered it

It seems that the local DOL office didn't have any motorcycle plates, so they gave me a 15 day temporary and sent me on my way. LOL. So I am sorta legal now.

Acutally, I didn't drive any part of the trip out from Iowa to Portland. My SO's family took it on the back of their truck to Idaho, where it was picked up by Three Jokers in a semi to a truck stop in Portland. I rode it from the truck stop home.

Well, now I am into the accessory bug..got a cargo net for the back seat. I also got some of those yellow tint glasses for myself and had to buy a special tire guage so that it would access the valve stem.

And yes, I looked on line and it is Shiro Jin. I am now going to look up the kanji for that.

More to come for sure.

And my grinitis is getting worse every mile....ROFLMAO.

Bob

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Sorta registered it

mrwizard10 said:
...And yes, I looked on line and it is Shiro Jin.
Yes, "Shirojin" would be a reasonable translation of "Castle Man."

I was just wondering if "Sujuki" was a typo, or if you somehow were told (mistakenly) that in Japanese "Suzuki" is pronounced "Sujuki." (It's not.)

mrwizard10 said:
...I am now going to look up the kanji for that.
Look no further. Here you go:

[Edit]

Okay, that didn't work. I sure wish we could just upload images here.

To see the kanji I wrote, I guess you'll have to visit the page I posted them on:

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?p=358577

HTH.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for doing that

Hey There,

Thanks for doing that for me. I found another site that after an exhaustive search, provided me with the castle and man parts but I did not both to look for the Suzuki. I also found the Kanji for 6, 5, and 0, so I will be ready. I was thinking originially about a various shades of gray and black hazy flame effect, but am now thinking about doing the whole bike in a castle foundation motif.

Thanks again....

Bob

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Thanks for doing that

mrwizard10 said:
Thanks for doing that for me. I found another site that after an exhaustive search, provided me with the castle and man parts but I did not both to look for the Suzuki.
You're welcome (or should I say "doitashimashite"). ;)

It's easy for me to do, because I have a Japanese word processor, including 6 Japanese fonts. I used Paint to combine the kanji and romaji on the page, and to add the furigana and translation in red.

BTW, interesting aside: "Suzuki" is the second most common surname in Japan, after "Sato." It's like "Smith" or "Jones" over here.

mrwizard10 said:
I also found the Kanji for 6, 5, and 0, so I will be ready.
Nowadays, the Japanese use Arabic numerals for most uses, just as we do. But sometimes the kanji are used, and I think it would look great combined with the kanji for "Suzuki Shirojin."

6, 5, and 0 will work, but just to let you know; 650 would normally be written with the kanji for 6, 100, 5, and 10. "Fifty" is "gojyu" ("five tens"), and "sixhundredfifty" is "rokuhyakugojyu" ("six hundreds and five tens"). At least if I'm remembering my Japanese-101 correctly. I don't use such big numbers much.

mrwizard10 said:
I was thinking originially about a various shades of gray and black hazy flame effect, but am now thinking about doing the whole bike in a castle foundation motif.
Sounds intriguing! Be sure to post photos in the gallery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts