Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Approximately 3 weeks and 320 miles ago I became the proud owner of a new 05 650 Bergman. No problems until today. I was on my way to visit my parents, who live about 40 miles away. I had left my home and realized that I hadn't put my wrist-rest on and thought I would wait till I got to the next town and stop there at a local convenience store and attach it. After attaching the wrist-rest I turned the key and hit the starter. NOTHING happened. I thought what the heck! I didn't pay any attention to my display and I turned the ignition off. I sat there for about 5 minutes really getting steamed because here was a bran-new bike with 320 miles on it and it wouldn't start. I turned the key on again and hit the starter. NOTHING. I DID look at the display this time, and my oil light was lit and the display said CHEC. I check my oil every day but thought OK, I will get off and check. The oil level was right where it should be.
By this time I was really getting mad. I thought, well maybe I should let the bike sit for 20 minutes. I did. Tried to start it again. NOTHING. I let the bike sit for another 20 and tried it again, and guess what--NOTHING.
I am sure glad that I have a cell-phone. In between trying to start my bike I called my wife and parents to let them know the situation. I have quite a busy schedule and MUST be able to rely on whatever I drive to be dependable. My wife came and got me and we went directly to the dealer, where I traded the 650 on a new ST1300. I have enjoyed participating and reading the posts here. Best of luck to all of you, but for me, well, it didn't work out.

Best wishes
Jim Lawson

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
One more vote for the kill switch. I tried bump starting, took the battery out & called my wife for a ride home, recharged the battery & then just before I called for a tow truck I spotted the kill switch.

The kickstand down gets me every once in a while too.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I too have had some trouble getting my bike to start on occasion... Usually after the second attempt and gettin nothing in response, I review what is required to start the thing.

1. Kill switch disengaged.
2. Kick Stand up.
3. Left Brake lever pulled in (will it work with the Right Lever in?)
4. Ignition key on.

I ride with my High Beams on too during the daytime, and usually try to remember to switch them down, in case it doesn't start immediately. Usually, when I run through that checklist, I find something wrong.

Kinda like piloting an airplane I guess (well, at least more complicated than starting a car). You have to inspect before you start, then make sure everything is in it's proper location before you go - including the appropriate clothing for the trip you are making.

As a side note, I've started by girlfriends Swing a couple of times, and you have to really pull the brake lever in to get it to start. About twice as far as on the Burg.

Sorry you had problems with the bike. I hope you have fun on the ST.

Later,
Joe

·
Registered
329 Posts
Engine stop switch

Don't feel like a yutz. The-kill-switch-off situation happens to just about everybody on just about every kind of bike, not just Burgmans. I have done it several times over the last 40+ years of riding. At least you got it out of the way and will never forget it again. You may even be lucky enough to help out someone else who is in a similar situation. If you are really lucky, there will be witnesses when you do!
On older bikes, we used to sometimes forget to turn on the petcock and run out of gas a mile or so down the road. That's one more thing you don't have to worry about on a Burgman. We also used to get in a hurry and forget to retract the sidestand.....until making a left turn. Again, one more thing you don't have to worry about with a Burgman. And then there is the clutch lever-ignition interlock. And it goes on........

Docta

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wonder if the dealer would have shown you how to start the bike without the kill switch engaged, before selling you a bike that costs 3 times as much? Never mind, probably not.
While I believe the Honda ST1300 is the best bike on the planet, tossing a perfectly good scooter away over a simple kill switch issue sounds harsh.
Imagine the embarassment as the bike's being towed back to the dealership - a fly lands on the kill switch, the bike starts.....

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
jglawso said:
snip After attaching the wrist-rest I turned the key and hit the starter. NOTHING happened. I thought what the heck! I didn't pay any attention to my display and I turned the ignition off. I sat there for about 5 minutes really getting steamed because here was a bran-new bike with 320 miles on it and it wouldn't start. I turned the key on again and hit the starter. NOTHING. I DID look at the display this time, and my oil light was lit and the display said CHEC. I check my oil every day but thought OK, I will get off and check. The oil level was right where it should be.
snip My wife came and got me and we went directly to the dealer, where I traded the 650 on a new ST1300. I have enjoyed participating and reading the posts here. Best of luck to all of you, but for me, well, it didn't work out.

Best wishes
Jim Lawson
Sorry but shouldn't this post be in the Tavern - this is just soooooo funnnnnneeee!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW - I have to buy a new cellphone every 3 to 4 days as the battery goes flat and I have never read the manual to check how to charge it up again! :)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Best-o-luck to ya Jim! Darn scooters! :wink:

lessee here..is the side stand up? is the run switch on? is the key turned on, is the brake lever micro-switch depressed, is the? is the? is the? sigh... ad nausium....arg! :evil:

The CHEC "lite" always makes me look at the red kill toggle on the right bar.

o well.

Anywhoo, whats NOT to like about a BRAND NEW 1300!!! :) :) :) :)

Be safe!
Pete

·
Registered
32 Posts
Happened to me at MSF class on the Nighthawk last week. First I popped the clutch and stalled it (won't be needing to worry about that anymore) then it wouldn't start back up. Somehow I'd brushed against the kill switch when I popped the clutch. An instructor finally noticed me walked over flipped the kill switch shook his head at me and walked away :p

Casey

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
The ST1300 is just a pretty nice ride. So, did you trade in the Burg 650 at the Denton dealer? Thinkin here about requesting a test ride. I was not too far from Denton getting bbq lunch and fabulous chocolate meranque pie at Clark's Outpost and just got back home (67 smile round trip). Well, walk the dog, check the time...........forget that cause I wear no watch and go see if the 650 is ready to test. Neal

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
After reading some of the posts here and then actually checking on my burg... :oops:

Yeah, the CHEC and oil light do come on... and the manual clearly states, until it's running, the Oil light stays on. And, since the Kill switch was on, it was never going to start. :eek:

So, I guess I have to wonder if the dealer knows anything about it. Does the ST1300 have a light or something to idenitfy to the rider that the kill switch is enabled? If it does, does the dealer know anything about it and did he tell Jim about it?

Joe

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
The ST1300 is a great bike and I was on the cusp of buying one (pre-loved) when I had an offer for a new Lardy that I could jus not refuse.

Back to the Lardy tho' and the owners manual (my edition page 17)

When the display indicates CHEC make sure the engine stop switch is at the run position.

Unquote

It is not remotely linked to oil level at all and the manual quite clearly indicates it is kill switch, ignition fuse or llead wire couplers! Sheeesh!

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Food for thought Joe.

I was (happily) thinking that the(ir) overall burger experience wasnt up to par..... and well - that's cool.... an, I aint got no probs with people changing their minds! Change IS GOOD!

Hope it don't have a negative connotation elsewhere. If it does, it would be mis-"spoke."

IF it was the kill switch!

If it wasn't, IMHO, then all is probably like it has been said...all is fair in love and war.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Joe wrote:
Methinks this was an excellent ploy to get the wife to agree to buying a bike that the guy originally wanted, but was talked out of due to the expense.
If that is the case it worked! ;)

Well, there is an off-chance there was something actually wrong with the 650 and I'm reluctant to blast someone who just took a loss trading in a new burgman 650 for trade-in price in the off-chance something was actually wrong with the bike. After all, isn't any product capable of being defective? Now, conversely, I am far towards the side of it being a kill switch issue rather than a mechanical defect but I certainly have no proof of that. I'd be very interested in hearing what the problem was and half-tempted to call the dealership and ask.[/quote]

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I'm sure he got what he thought was a good deal from the dealer. He thought he had a good-for-nothing dead bike. The dealer surely gave him some sympathy. Then let him trade it in on the new bike for just a little under what it's used wholesale price (running) would have been. He thought it was a fair price for a lemon.

After the new bike was sold, and the customer left, that dealer flipped on the kill switch and then put the 650 out on the floor as a "nearly new" bike with only 320 miles on it for just less than MSRP.

Me thinks he wanted the ST1300 all along, but the wife wouldn't let him. Then when the 650 "broke", she relented. That's how I got a new computer. My old one mysteriously "broke".

Coulda happened that way. :wink:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Even if the scooter was defective, it was under warranty.
Hope his new bike is enjoyed, and is defect free.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts