Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I’m in – and loving it. I want to first thank Al and Paul for establishing and moderating this forum. I must attribute this forum and all its information in giving me enough to go on to decide to get a Burgman. This place has been an absolute gold mine of information. I feel I made a very informed decision based on what I read here. Thanks to everyone for his or her contributions as well.

When I first started out looking for something like the Burgman, my criteria were pretty straightforward. I wanted a good commute vehicle. That meant good gas mileage and the ability to carry my laptop (and other work-related stuff) as well as my gym bag. I also wanted something that could handle weekend trips. So the initial cut was down to the Honda SW and the Burgman 650. When I talked to the Honda dealer I told him I was also considering the Burgman 650. He said the two bikes were pretty much a wash and that the Honda name has a slightly better reputation. Not a very strong endorsement of his own product if you ask me. I stayed away from “regular” motorcycles because of all the extra stuff you had to get in order to satisfy my criteria (or spend megabucks on a very big bike). There is a good amount of information on this forum comparing the SW and the 650 (and I deeply appreciate it). Based on what I read here I got a 650. I had a Honda Elite in the past so I have that positive experience to draw from. The Burgman still won out. Here are some of the things that I like about the Burgman over the SW: the Burgman’s digital instruments (the SW’s are analog and my mind now prefers to see the numbers rather than a gauge or needle); the Burgman has more storage capacity; the Burgman’s wheels are slightly larger (better for road hazards); and, purely a personal thing, I like the style of the Burgman better. It’s already been in for its first service. For those interested, I paid $209 and some change (I noticed some folks asked about the cost of that first service). The only thing I wish that was different about the Burgman is the seat height. I’m 5’ 7” with a 30" inseam. I wish the seat were about an inch shorter. I noticed on this forum that some of the taller folks like it and changed out the seat for more legroom as well as upgrading the windscreen. Since I’m shorter, the stock model is fine (other than the seat height as I mentioned). I find the wind noise to be fine and I probably won’t change out the windscreen. By the way, Suzuki has a bike called the G-Strider as a concept bike and if they ever go to production of that one, I’ll be the first one in line. If you haven’t seen or heard about it, check out this site: http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCatalogue/2004/Suzuki/G-Strider/Intro.htm Looks like Suzuki feels there is a strong future for these beefed up scooters and I for one like it. So now I’m very much enjoying my Burgman. As for add-ons – I got a couple of the dealer items. One was the burl wood kit. I must say it looks great. Some folks talked about a hump bag. One suggestion was the Bombardier hump bag for an ATV. I got that but it didn’t fit the 650 well in my opinion. Although I didn’t check it out on the 400 I think it might be better suited for the 400 rather than the 650. I took it back and got a refund. I then got the DJ Ellis hump bag and have nothing but praise to say about it. Easy to install, high quality materials and construction. He is also highly responsive to orders and strives hard to keep his customers satisfied. My personal experience with him has been nothing short of great. So there you have it. I’m in and loving it. Thanks again to everyone who make this site so valuable to Burgman owners and potential owners. Happy riding and be safe.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Trent said:
I want to first thank Al and Paul for establishing and moderating this forum.
The kudos for establishing the forum need to go to Bryan (aka Greengoose) who spent his time and funds to startup the site. Let me also add my thanks to Allan and Paul for their work moderating the forums.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Trent,

As Bill stated, Bryan (Greengoose) founded the forum and pays the bills, with a little help from voluntary contributions. Allan and I are volunteer help.

I'd like to welcome you to the forum, and I'm glad that you have found it to be useful. I also think you made the right purchase decision, the Burgman's are clearly better machines than the Silverwing at this point in time. I say that for two reasons. The Silverwing does not handle as well - that has been cited in various road tests. And there are quality issues - Honda has had to issue several recalls on the SW. I think as Yamaha and others enter the super scooter market, Honda will have to improve their offering or be left in the dust. You can only survive on past reputation for so long... Many multi-brand dealers are already having a very difficult time selling the SW against the Burgmans.

Glad to have you with us!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Trent and welcome to the forum! :wave: I'm so glad you found the info on this forum both useful and reliable. Were one big happy family here and every one contributes to its sucess. Looking forward to your contributions as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts