Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went ahead and bought the cruiser, a 2005 Suzi Boulevard S-50 (Nee Intruder 800), and decided to take it on my regular commute, mostly because after work was the weekly gathering of local riders, and I wanted to show off the new ride... After a season and a half on the Burg 400, here's what I learned:

Lesson #1 Bungie Cords are a PITA for freight - gotta get a tank and/or seat bag...
Lesson#2 The left lever is the clutch, the right foot is the brake
Lesson #3 Hot Pipes melt mesh pants - and its corrollary - shiny chrome gets dingy REAL easily!
Lesson #4 The left lever is the clutch, the right foot is the brake
Lesson #5 For lack of a better place, you can sit on a toll ticket, and it won't blow away (GOTTA get that tank bag! - or finally spring for an EZ-Pass)
Lesson #6 Blipping the throttle when downshifting is fun
Lesson # 7 The left lever is the clutch, the right foot is the brake
Lesson #8 It IS nice to be heard on the road (don't wanna touch the loud pipes issue, but the scooter's just TOO quiet!)
Lesson #9 The Boulevard S-50 has a shorter range than a Rebel 250, not to mention a Burgman 400
Lesson # 10 If the bike's in neutral, it ain't goin' anywhere, no matter how much you rev the engine!
Lesson #11 Move the reserve switch back after filling the tank.
Lesson #12 The left lever is the clutch, the right foot is the brake
Lesson #13 Floorboards make it easier to shift your weight for rough roads than forward footpegs
Lesson #14 Knee-hugging the gas tank in the curves is fun! (I miss that with the scoot!)
Lesson #15 Taking a Burgman to a rider meet is much more fun than taking a "regular" motorcycle . . . It's still the most unique ride in the pack! (everyone was asking if I sold it, and one guy said if I was selling it, he was interested (he rides a Kawi ZRX!)

Conclusion: Motorcycles are fun! Big Scooters are fun and practical, too! Oh, and did i mention, the left lever... yeah, I did...
One more thing - how do you get melted nylon mesh off chrome pipes?

Boris the Boulevard, Me, hubby Jack, and Sylvester the Silver Scoot

·
Registered
925 Posts
Just don't forget that the left lever is the clutch, the right foot is the brake :wink: Congrats on the new ride though, I love the entire Boulevard line, especially the M50. Enjoy 8)

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
My wife and I re-started on Kaw Vulcan 800s, except for the shaft vs chain thing, a close homolog of the 50. I traded up to a Nomad, and now I'm thinking of trading over :wink: to the 650.

Anyway, the best way we've found to remove melted stuff from the pipes is with oven cleaner. Be careful not to get it on anything but chrome. (If you do, wipe it off with a cool wet cloth as quickly as possible.) Then take the bike for a ride to get the pipes hot. When you come back, use wet rags to rub it off. DON'T use any abrasives like Comet or 3M pads - they will scuff up your chrome in a most unappealing way.

When you have them relatively clean, use chrome polish to complete the job.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I enjoyed your post Diane :lol: congrats on the acquisition.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Hmmm....

Left hand clutch, right foot brake...

Sounds like a Vespa wannabee to me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts