Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
slepejs, what a great web site. I spent a couple of hours going through it as most of the scooters are not available here in the U.S. I've been hoping that Yamaha would import the T-Max.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
In his write-up on the Burgman 650, he states that the two pistons move up and down at the same time (360 degree crankshaft). I find that hard to believe. That is the way that the Harley V-Twin works, and is largely responsible for the lumpy idle, shaking at idle - the basically rough characteristics of that engine (and the sound that Harley riders love). That arrangement also produces less power than if the pistons move and fire alternately (180 degree crankshaft). It was also the way that the old Triumph vertical twin worked - and those things could shake the fillings right out of your teeth (or so I've been told).

Honda used to build the Shadow 1100 cruiser both ways. The one I owned had the 180 degree crank, and was smoother and more powerful than the other model. I've ridden both. The model built with the 360 degree crank, did sound remarkably like a Harley, but did not not pull as strongly.

The Burgman 650 engine is so smooth that I've got to question that. If it is in fact true, they must have counterbalanced the daylights out of it - and could free up some more ponies by going to a 180 degree crank.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes they do, I have picture of crankshaft and pistons both at the top,next to that is a picture of two balance shafts.
How do I post a picture :?:

Cheers
Ian :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sign his guestbook

Hi All

He's got a really nice site. If you haven't done so yet, please go back and sign his guest book. I'm sure he'd get a kick out of it.

Regards,

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts