Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know this started a while back.
The wife dropped her Kawasaki drifter and subsequently due to this and the doctors visit found out she had carpal tunnel in her left hand and need a left shoulder reconstruction
SO we sold the drifter.. she could not stand flat footed on the burgman so that was out.
SO she decided to give up motorcycle riding:(
WELL I was having none of this as she has been riding since 1967 and I was not about to lose my riding buddy.
SO dealer friend had a piaggio mp3 250 the three wheeler.
we though this would solve the problem that she was facing no clutch and auto.....well that's a big NO.
Same problem still exist can not pull left brake lever .
totally dejected we resigned are self to her not riding again.......UNTILL:eek:
I was picking up a clients bike and saw this dn01 Honda so while I was waiting I looked over it
NO leavers on the left only switches, very low seat height , auto ,shaft, 7000ks one owner,...it ticked all her boxes
I showed her the bike ,and after some in trepidation she found it a breeze to ride
Her passion is back and no pain:eek:
An in depth comparison between the 650 burgman and the dn01 will be coming after a few more ks have been done
dn01.jpg

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
NICE ! I've always been intrigued by the DN-01 , that said I feel sorry for those who paid 18K U.S. out the door for the first ones . There is a guy on the ADVrider site that has one for sale , low miles and only $6,500 U.S. asking price . I'm tempted but my garage is full . Good luck with it and keep us updated .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We paid $6800 the looks grow on you .The riding style is very cruisers ,power wise it seems to have more go than my 650 burgman
It dose weigh 270kg but you don't feel that weight as like a cruiser it is low down
I rode it home and it feel funny not having a leaver on the left as I reached for one every time I stoped
It has linked brakes and abs so stopping is no problems
no storage to speak of the top box just fits small items not a helmet
My wife is used to a cruiser so storage was no an issue (I usually carted all her crap)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
We paid $6800 the looks grow on you .The riding style is very cruisers ,power wise it seems to have more go than my 650 burgman
It dose weigh 270kg but you don't feel that weight as like a cruiser it is low down
I rode it home and it feel funny not having a leaver on the left as I reached for one every time I stoped
It has linked brakes and abs so stopping is no problems
no storage to speak of the top box just fits small items not a helmet
My wife is used to a cruiser so storage was no an issue (I usually carted all her crap)

Surprisingly GIVI made top and side brackets for the DN-01 See here
https://www.google.com/search?q=GIV...onda-dn-01-long-term-update-part-1%2F;540;480

·
Registered
98 Posts
It is a strange beast, but the looks do grow on you as you mentioned. Whether one likes the look of this bike or not, you have to give props to Honda for trying new things. They seem to be very interested in trying to attract new riders, and over the past 4-5 years have brought out many new bikes and major redesigns. Even so, we still don't get some of their more popular rides from overseas.

I like the bike with the top case, as you have it. It balances off the somewhat disproportionate fuel tank/cowling combo at the front.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Sorry, man -- it looks bad. It's been on the market for a while, but didn't grow on everyone i know a single bit. Anyways when you ride you don't see it, so it doesn't matter much i guess

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I like it ! Congrats,

I'm so surprised that These clutchless bikes don't make it the FJR AE got discontinued in the us, still can get it elsewhere

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
As I've written before, the DN01 was an odd bird. Seating was a cruiser, with a too small V engine by their standards. An automatic scooter with no storage or protection. And sportbike styling with little performance, again by their standards. A bit of a hodgepodge. It appealed to everyone and then no one, especially for the price. It was perhaps too strange.

But for those that love them, they're perfect. So enjoy this unique machine. Glad it got your wife riding again.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I understand the appreciation of not having to use her left hand, if doing so is painful, but having no such problems, I appreciate controlling the rear brake with my hand and being able to put my feet in any postion.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Originally the bike sold for close to $13,000. Way too much for what it offered. every now and then Honda comes out with a bike that doesn't well - like the Pacific Coast. Only in this case the PC was really a well made machine. Too bad, because getting parts might prove difficult in the future.
respectfully,
david miller

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Originally the bike sold for close to $13,000. Way too much for what it offered. every now and then Honda comes out with a bike that doesn't well - like the Pacific Coast. Only in this case the PC was really a well made machine. Too bad, because getting parts might prove difficult in the future.
respectfully,
david miller
I'm sure the DN01 is a well made machine too.

I loved the PC800 and came close to buying one, but got a deal on an ST1100 I couldn't pass up. It looked a little too scooterish for its day, before there were Maxis. Now that people are used to seeing large scoots, I wonder if it would be more accepted now. If it came out with an autotranny, I'd certainly reconsider it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dn01-7.jpg

dn01-9.jpg

dn01-11.jpg

dn01-12.jpg

Yes it is auto similar to the burgman as it has a drive mode a sports mode and a manual mode the interesting thing it has is a neutral mode were the bike always go's into neutral after shut of so when its time to go you just put it into drive and go.Thats a great feature for some one like my wife who came of clutch type bikes as she would always start a bike and rev it
This is essentially a bike with an auto gear box and more like a cruiser, tyres wont be cheap as it runs an 180 /40.x17 rear with single side swing arm
At least its shaft

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Personally I think you did very well , hope your wife and you enjoy it .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
That's a quality build, but very and very specific taste. Unique :p

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
well those tires are definitely odd
Looking online i could only find these tires sizes for a dn01

130/70 17 Front , although i also saw 120/70 x 17
190/50 17 Rear

My FJR tires, that are similar-ish sizes are about 225 the set , i bought mine from Denniskirk very good price even with the $5 dollar shipping

good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Never having seen one (other than in a single sideshot photo,) your pics do it justice. IMHO, I like the looks of it. Glad to hear your wife can keep riding - that's all that matters.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I've always like the looks of the DN01. I've never seen one with a top case - yours looks fantastic. Good get!! Proof is in the riding - looking forward to your R&R.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts