Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys
i have a 650 burgman 2013. yesterday i experienced a slight overheating (4 ticks) for the first time.
i checked the fan it was working
i checked the coolant level it was normal .
anything else to check ?
thank you in advance

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you just check the overflow tank or did you unscrew the radiator cap and check to see if it was full?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Warm day slow traffic? My 14 plate hits 4 bars very occasionally if it's a hot day and slow traffic goes back to 3 as soon as I get moving sounds pretty normal to me. Might be time to change your coolant if it is more than 2 years old.

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
Try filling it to the bottles low mark and ride it some, let it cool down a few times. Or you can swing the radiator out and top off the radiator.

It is a little warm in Beirut this time of year so you need to top it off. 4 bars is not too bad for a hot day.

Reactions: gnasser

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
a dim possibility and a far stretch, engine oil may be a little low? it gets cooled but, ,,, like I said, a very little chance, but something easy to check,

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Warm day slow traffic? My 14 plate hits 4 bars very occasionally if it's a hot day and slow traffic goes back to 3 as soon as I get moving sounds pretty normal to me. Might be time to change your coolant if it is more than 2 years old.
i never changed the coolant, you gave me a DIY to do in the weekend . will keep you updated.
is there any chance the thermostat is hanging sometimes ?

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
i only checked the bottle . i didn't remove the cap
That's what I told swmbo! She din't believe it was evaporating in the fridge.

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
yup ,what dave said!

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
Gnasser, I really think you do not have a problem.
Do the radiator service, burping to get all the air out and see if that helps.

But also, as said above, make sure your oil in the engine is between the Full and Low marks as oil does cool the bearing. Then the oil flows through the oil filter where ti passes through a water to oil cooler.

In the few times I have been commuting in temperatures of 100F (38C) to 115F (46C) my Burgman's temp gauge showed 4 bars.

I was stuck in stopped traffic once in a small tunnel with no air flow and the temperature outside was over 121F (49C) with all the car engines running, got to 5 bars and then a RED light came on and the throttle was lazy, the bike did not want to move. I moved over to the side of the road and did 10 MPH to get out of the tunnel and as soon as I started moving the Temp gauge went down to 4 bars.

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
Personally I'd go the next level and do a flush before I refilled.
You'd be stunned what kind of crud comes out.

·
Registered
319 Posts
a dim possibility and a far stretch, engine oil may be a little low? it gets cooled but, ,,, like I said, a very little chance, but something easy to check,
Hunh … I wouldn't have considered that, but I think you have a point there. The oil does help cool things off. I had a motorcycle with an air-to-oil cooler in addition to a radiator. But nevertheless, a Burgman with such a small amount of oil, if it's low, additional oil (more oil than less) should have a cooling impact. Maybe not one that is noticeable to us, but should be to the engine. Darn good point there.

I was stuck in stopped traffic once in a small tunnel with no air flow and the temperature outside was over 121F (49C) with all the car engines running, got to 5 bars and then a RED light came on and the throttle was lazy, the bike did not want to move. I moved over to the side of the road and did 10 MPH to get out of the tunnel and as soon as I started moving the Temp gauge went down to 4 bars.
Gnasser - I agree with Dave here. I don't think your bike was overheating. Just got warmer than normal. Your fan came on, that's a good sign.

Dave - I'm guessing the throttle felt lazy and the bike did not want to move because the ECU has a "limp" mode to it, to protect it from further overheating. Maybe someone here knows for sure. If so, sure is an awfully smart sickle we're riding.

P.S. - I'm jealous of you guys with a temp "gauge." Even if it is just bars. Bars are better than nothing. I got nothing but an idiot light on mine (2011). It just let's me know that it has already overheated (too late), versus letting me know it's getting hot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gnasser, I really think you do not have a problem.
Do the radiator service, burping to get all the air out and see if that helps.

But also, as said above, make sure your oil in the engine is between the Full and Low marks as oil does cool the bearing. Then the oil flows through the oil filter where ti passes through a water to oil cooler.

In the few times I have been commuting in temperatures of 100F (38C) to 115F (46C) my Burgman's temp gauge showed 4 bars.

I will check the oil level first thing tomorrow. ( when the burg is cold)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will check the oil level first thing tomorrow. ( when the burg is cold)
update on the overheating!
@Dave_J you were right man! turns out the oil was on the low level for an unknown reason. might be the technician didn't fill up on the last oil change as recommended .
thanks man . cheers

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
Now it's time to figure out why the oil was low, if it was the technician, take yer dog for a walk in his flower bed

Reactions: s-steel and gnasser

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Loool. I might do that.
But in the mean time i ll monitor the oil maybe there are other reasons why its vanishing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts