Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, you said don't be afraid to ask ... but this is a REALLY newbie question.

My current scooter is a Honda Elite 80. I love it, and have learned a lot from it ... but it's not a highway machine, by any stretch of the imagination. I've reached the point where I want to do more than scoot around back roads at 35 MPH. (BTW, it's rural and hilly where I live, and the Elite is all the experience I've ever had on a 2-wheeler.)

My nervous newbie question is: Is something the size of a Burgman 400 too heavy for an average-sized woman to manage? I'm 5' 8" and weigh 145 lbs., and I have this unhappy picture in my mind of getting the Burgman into some pickle that I haven't the strength to extract it from. (The classic, I suppose, would be having it tip over somehow.) I won't always be riding with my husband along for company!

Thanks for anyone's experienced response.

Regards, Chris

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Chris, I think a 400 would be a good choice. It has a lower seat height, not very heavy, easy to handle at low speeds, it is stable at highway speeds, and has enough power to handle any highway riding. I just got one last week end after owning a 650 and a SilverWing. As far as picking up a bike after dropping it, there is a method to picking up one up. It is on the net, but I do not know the address. You should be able to pick the 400 without it.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, Roy! The scooter dealers within a reasonable distance of my home just don't offer a lot of models to choose among. Everything is either mini-sized, like my Elite, or is a maxi (i.e. Burg 400 and 650, SilverWing). The size difference is a bit intimadating to me.

I'm curious: Why did you decide to get a 400 in addition to the 650 and SilverWing you already own? Seems like people always buy BIGGER machines as they go along, not smaller.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Bigger is not always better...

Well Chris,

I had the very same conumdrum...do I pick the 400 or the 650??? I think what made my mind up was going to the dealer looking at each side by side. Then I road the 650 and purposely road it very slowly because I wanted to see how it felt at slow speed. Trust me anybody can ride fast but with a 500 lb scooter I wanted to experience its low speed handling.

The 650 handled it all very well, what turned me off was the physical size of the thing. It looks like a mini GoldWing so parking it in small corners (city traffic) and manuvering it in congested traffic didn't seem to suit its large size. Also I'm not a great fan of the digital speedometer and tachometer.

There is lots to be said about the 400. It is smaller, lighter by 124 lbs (one petite passenger), cheaper insurance and less complicated maintenance. I purchased a 400 and I have yet to get it but I know I made the right choice. Timothy

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Chris, I sold the others. I am going smaller. I will find out if it is a good move. So far (200 miles on my 400 and 200 miles on a friend's), I am pleased. When I warms up and I take some longer rides, I should know. Riding today, +200 miles.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi there Chris.
The 400 weighs in at 409 lbs with a seat height of 29.5 inches. I don't think this machine would cause you any difficulties should you find yourself alone and the bike on its side(you come out of a store to find someone has knocked it over). The machine has a low center of gravity and should be relatively easy to pick up. Seeing how alot of the weight is down low and a 29.5 inch seat height, this means you should have a secure footing on the pavement when you come to a stop. This means you won't be to wobbly and shouldn't be caught off guard. Bottom line is don't be intimidated by its size. I bet it will feel almost as nimble as your Elite, with more storage. :D Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
394 Posts
ChrisLucey said:
...Is something the size of a Burgman 400 too heavy for an average-sized woman to manage? I'm 5' 8" and weigh 145 lbs...
While the Burgman 400 might work fine, Chris, you may wish to consider an interm step-up from your Elite 80.

The Honda Reflex is a 250cc scooter that runs well at highway speed and one-up is fine on hills and such. The Reflex does weigh less than the Burgman, though the seat height is a touch taller.

This is not to under cut the Burgman 400, which is a much better value dollar for dollar. Just thought you might want to consider other options.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the Reflex is something I'd consider as an alternative ... but there seems little chance I'd be able to get my hands on one. I've yet to lay eyes on one; dealers around here say they're just too scarce. (Something about import restrictions?) And I'll be darned if I'll buy one sight-unseen, altho' staying within the Honda family has its attractions for me.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Honda also has the Helix. I don't understand what the difference is or why they have two 250s.

Roy: I would be very interested in a comparison between the Silverwing & the 650 Bergman as I have pretty much narrowed my choises down to those two.

1. Reliability
2. Ease of maintainence (Checking & changing oil & filters)
3. Wind bucking on the highway
4. Protection provided by the fairing
5. Gas mileage
6. Other comparisons you might think useful

·
Registered
741 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Greg: I had found that first site but hadn't noticed the forum. Just spent a
long time going through it . I'm tired now & will try the other site tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Roy: I would be very interested in a comparison between the Silverwing & the 650 Bergman as I have pretty much narrowed my choises down to those two.

1. Reliability
2. Ease of maintainence (Checking & changing oil & filters)
3. Wind bucking on the highway
4. Protection provided by the fairing
5. Gas mileage
6. Other comparisons you might think useful
gruntled, #1 not much difference, however the SW people will point to it because they have little to point to were the SW holds the edge on the 650. Look at their site the SW has its problems just like all bikes, #2 SW is easier to change oil but the oil runs on to a plate on the bottom of the engine and makes a mess, #3 the 650 is a little more stable, the GIVI WS works better on the 650 than the SW, #4 The 650 has more protection, #5 about the same, except the 650 does not seem to change MPG much if you ride at higher speeds. In general, the 650 is smooter, more comfortable, more storage space, and handles much better. I do not think there is much of a comparison between the SW and 650. I switched bike with a SW owner once and was really surprised at the difference in the two bikes after owning the 650 for a while. The 650 is a nicer bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
HOLA CHRIS!!

Hola Chris!

My name is Maribel and I am 5'5'' tall, I had a Burgman 250 and now have a Burgman 650... The Burgman 400 is perfect for you, you will reach the floor perfectly and will feel very comfortable. It is a lovely bike and very good to drive combining city and roads. I highly recommend it!! And the space under the seat is every girls dream!!! Something to take into account... youn know... fits lots of shopping!! :lol: :lol:

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Folks:

You're all absolutely right. Sat on (and bought) a Burg 400 today and my feet firmly reached the ground. Rocked it a bit from side to side, and the center of balance is clearly so low that recovering from a tip-over should not be a big deal.

Training & experience will put the rest of my worries to rest, I hope. Shall be signing up for a motorcycle safety class very, very soon. That's something I never felt the need for with my tiny Elite 80, but the 400 is a *real* bike in my book, and therefore a whole different story.

My gratitute for all your feedback, one and all!

--Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts