Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the weight distribution is for the Burgman 400 ABS? This is so i can figure out how much weight is under the front wheel.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,152 Posts
wellll on a good day i'd say the weight under the front wheel , being the earth,.... is,,,,, reallly really friggin heavy , give or take a gram :lol:

typos are so much fun sometimes

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Sounds like around about question that got lost some where along the way. :?:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm retiring soon, and want to become a snowbird, however, where I plan on living in FL won't allow me to store a trailer (I'm buying my parent's condo, so I can take care of them). So I was looking into a motorcycle hitch device that would fit into my hitch receiver that you would place the front wheel of the Burgman into and the back wheel would trailer along on the ground (I probably will have to remove the drive belt). However, I don't want to exceed the hitch tongue weight requirements, hence, that's why I want to know the weight distribution, to see if it's a feasible idea before I purchase the device. BTW, from what I see, it cost around $550 to ship from NY to FL :( , kind of expense if you do it twice a year, and I don't want to buy another Burgman, to have it sit outside my condo, for 6 months unattended and unused while I'm back in NY. I've already looked into U-Haul, and they don't do interstate motorcycle trailer rentals.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Here's one way to get a reasonable ballpark figure:

1. Put the bike on the center stand.
2. Pick up the front wheel and slide a bathroom scale under it and measure the weight (call it w).
3. Measure the distance from the center stand ground contact point to the front wheel contact point on the scale (call this lfront).
4. Measure the distance from the centerstand contact point to where the rear wheel would contact the ground if the bike were sitting at rest (call this lrear).
5. Perform the calculation: w * lfront / curbweight and call this d.

Now the weight distribution is roughly (lfront - d) / (lrear + d)

Or you could try and find it published someplace

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Now that I see the application, the weight distribution isn't going to help you much.

You are going to have the front raised significantly enough that the actual value will be substantially different. If you know the tongue weight limit, the number from my calculation would be an upper limit of what you would see statically. Alternatively, you know it's going to be less than 200 or so pounds. Removing the belt might be the conservative move, but rolling the rear wheel isn't going to engage the rear wheel clutch.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
You'll want to watch your rear tire wear too. Even if it is rolling behind you, it'll be moving across the road and there will be some tire wear. Probably not as much as actually riding the bike though because you won't have the wear from acceleration and braking.

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Are you using a truck to tow it back & forth? If so you sure don't need to worry as the hitch weight on even a 1/2 ton truck would hold the total weight of a Burgman 400. If you have a 3/4 or one ton it could carry the total weight of a 650. I would be more concerned with how much weight the adapter that you slide into the hitch is rated for. :wink:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Now that I see the point of how much weight on 400 front wheel---- to tow scooter----probably 200 or less, but towing bike directly behind car, uncovered, bike takes quite a betting from rocks/dirt/mud. Also even with drive belt taken off completely rear gear case is working and taking quite a beating.....doing what it wasn't designed to do, tire wear too.

I also understand no place to store trailer----try trailer in a bag, etc. Even the cheap trailers you buy unassembled at Lowes can be used and taken apart to store.

Further have hitch that can handle 500 lbs of tongue weight, there are carriers that can elevate both wheels of bike, but then you have the 90 plus inches of Burgman that are probably wider than your vehicle to deal with. Legal--WIDE LOAD?

Since I am not trailer biker---best/cheapest solution---Just take scooter ( it doesn't snow in FL ) Fun to live without car.OR take SUV with all your junk----take Bus back to NY, ride scooter----surely cheaper than shipping back and forth and some fun thrown in,too. Less hassle.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Katuzo couldn't you just rent a place to store a trailer when you are in Florida? Or rent someplace to store the scooter when you go back north?

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
My worry with towing one that far on the rear wheel would be the driven bearing on the clutch shaft (part number 21214-15F00). That bearing normally isn't turning unless the clutch is disengaged. That basically means it only operates when the bike is moving at very low speeds. If you are towing it will be turning at high speeds. You might get to Florida and discover you have to replace it.

I would for sure remove the belt because if that bearing freezes up it will just like the clutch engages. If the belt is off all that would happen is you would spin the clutch and secondary pulley. If the belt is on it will try to turn the engine over. You could end up ruining the rear tire or worse yet the engine.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Why not just rent a U-haul trailer that is big enough to haul the scooter in????? That way you get to FL and turn the trailer in and when ready to go back to NY rent another one.

Bill

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chatman128 said:
Here's one way to get a reasonable ballpark figure:

1. Put the bike on the center stand.
2. Pick up the front wheel and slide a bathroom scale under it and measure the weight (call it w).
3. Measure the distance from the center stand ground contact point to the front wheel contact point on the scale (call this lfront).
4. Measure the distance from the centerstand contact point to where the rear wheel would contact the ground if the bike were sitting at rest (call this lrear).
5. Perform the calculation: w * lfront / curbweight and call this d.

Now the weight distribution is roughly (lfront - d) / (lrear + d)

Or you could try and find it published someplace
I was hoping that someone knew it, so I would not have to do that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bill-Bill said:
Why not just rent a U-haul trailer that is big enough to haul the scooter in????? That way you get to FL and turn the trailer in and when ready to go back to NY rent another one.

Bill
That's a good idea, right now I owe an Acura RSX, which can't tow more than 1000 pounds, so I need a small trailer (which I have). However, I'm thinking of purchasing a larger vehicle (like a Honda Pilot, class 3 hitch), that could handle a regular trailer. All that U-Haul has are enclosed trailers, that rent over $500 for 5 days for interstate travel. Unfortunately, the flat bed trailer with a ramp, are not offered for interstate travel. The only other alternative, is to buy a flat bed trailer, and sell it when I get to FL.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
model28a said:
Katuzo couldn't you just rent a place to store a trailer when you are in Florida? Or rent someplace to store the scooter when you go back north?
If I stored the scooter in Fl, what would I ride when I get back to NY? Plus storage fees do mount up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
john grinsel said:
Now that I see the point of how much weight on 400 front wheel---- to tow scooter----probably 200 or less, but towing bike directly behind car, uncovered, bike takes quite a betting from rocks/dirt/mud. Also even with drive belt taken off completely rear gear case is working and taking quite a beating.....doing what it wasn't designed to do, tire wear too.

I also understand no place to store trailer----try trailer in a bag, etc. Even the cheap trailers you buy unassembled at Lowes can be used and taken apart to store.

Further have hitch that can handle 500 lbs of tongue weight, there are carriers that can elevate both wheels of bike, but then you have the 90 plus inches of Burgman that are probably wider than your vehicle to deal with. Legal--WIDE LOAD?

Since I am not trailer biker---best/cheapest solution---Just take scooter ( it doesn't snow in FL ) Fun to live without car.OR take SUV with all your junk----take Bus back to NY, ride scooter----surely cheaper than shipping back and forth and some fun thrown in,too. Less hassle.
I didn't realize that the trailers sold at Lowes came disassembled, I though they were all welded together, I'll take a trip there and check them out. Because you mentioned it, I did check out trailer in a bag. Nice concept, a little pricey, but a good solution if every thing else fails.

·
Premium Member
8,152 Posts
a ramp can be made fairly easily and can be dang convenient for loading and unloading a trailer for more than just bikes i e couches, large boxes, carpets
rolled around dead mafia bosses etc and then put in the trailer for walk in walk out unloading at the other end of the trip , or on the top if you want a really long one , beats stepping up into a uhaul bed all the time when you are moving a 3 bedroom house every 3 years

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I think the bike weighs about 440.
I would guess front about 180, back about 260? Most of the the weight is on the back. From that mighty 24 cubic inch lump of aluminum :D
If you look at the weight sticker, on the bike, you would see max load allowed, and axle weights front and rear.
Some math should give you empty weights front and rear.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts