Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend we will be having lows in the 60's and highs in the 70's.
I just know every Weekend Warrior Rider who got a new Farkle for Christmas will be out riding....I know will be riding. 8)
So take a little more care and be a little more observant for the squids and posers that will be out in force.
But most of all enjoy our wonderful January weather and ride safely. :thumbup:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Several of my friends and i went riding on Saturday, it was supposed to make it up to the low 50's , if it did I must have missed it.
Sure was glad my old trusty Widder electric vest still worked. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Down here in Fla. for my annual snowbird vacation, but find it impossible to rent a scoot with more than 50ccs, that only goes a max of 40 mph. Rented one of these last year and was scared to death of getting rearended on hwys. Miss my 650 as Fla riding(warm weather) suits me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
tomgin said:
Down here in Fla. for my annual snowbird vacation, but find it impossible to rent a scoot with more than 50ccs, that only goes a max of 40 mph. Rented one of these last year and was scared to death of getting rearended on hwys. Miss my 650 as Fla riding(warm weather) suits me.
You have a 650 and didn't bring it with you?!? Thats almost a crime... :wink:

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Deedah, Unfortunatley I don't own a bike trailer, nor do I have a hitch on my veh. I did however bring down two bycicles and my wife and I get plenty of exercize that way. Otherwise we do ride 10 months of the year, and at 74 years of age, I hope to continue for 10 more. Good riding to you. Tom

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
tomgin said:
Where do you Snowbird? Are you here for the full season: ending April/May?

·
Registered
23 Posts
DandyDoug said:
Several of my friends and i went riding on Saturday, it was supposed to make it up to the low 50's , if it did I must have missed it.
Sure was glad my old trusty Widder electric vest still worked. :thumbup:
You're not the only one... took me most of the evening to thaw out from a few hours down in the Sandhills.
Just have to make up for it this weekend though. :thumbup:

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
It'll be that way for us in a few months, with temps above 50F and no rain. Then all the garage queens will come out.

Not much chance of that right now though. Rain. Flood advisories. Gale warning and high wind advisories. There's a few of us out still, but not many.

Chris

·
Administrator
18,340 Posts
The weather for this evening is about 2 inchs of rain and wind gusts from 35 to 50MPH. I am at work getting ready to walk out side to where my Burgman is parked, get on and ride 41 miles home. BAK BAK BAK BAKKK, it Chicken Man.

Oh, I do live in the south, South of Daboo. :D South King County gets winds that the north part does not.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I think he's trying to rub it in, Dave_J. ;)

Chris

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Dave_J said:
... :D South King County gets winds that the north part does not.
Yes, we get our own weather in the north Puget Sound Convergence zone. I went the whole day seeing no other motorcycles/scooters. On the way home, the rain was coming down so hard and the road spray was so thick, I could see the car ahead of me...but not the one ahead of him. I stopped by Costco on the way home (it's amazing to see what can fit under the seat). The checker asked if I felt scared riding out in that weather and I told her no. All the other motorcyclists are off the road. I'm not sure she really understood what I meant.

On the way home, I was riding through deep standing water and the "rain" was coming down white. I suspect we'll get a couple inches tonight.

Here's an example of the Puget Sound Convergence zone. From Green Lake (just above "Seattle") south for quite aways, the rain is virtually non-existant...like where Dave_J lives. I live just to the right of that red area.
[attachment=0:32ezkndq]Capture.JPG[/attachment:32ezkndq]
The weather comes in from the ocean and is blocked by the Olympic mountains on the peninsula. Like water, the air will flow to the lowest places it can find. One convergence zone is south of Tacoma. The other is up north in the area around Everett. The winds split going around the mountains, then come together again...and it becomes a meteorologist's nightmare.

If there's any motorcyclists out there in that weather, they will generally be riders who know what they are doing. I feel a lot safer meeting up with one of them, than I do the riders who show up on the first sunny and warm day.

Chris

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,340 Posts
Daboo said:
I think he's trying to rub it in, Dave_J. ;)

Chris
All I have to say about my commute home at 6:30 PM is SNOW!!! :x :D

I was in the foot hills of the Cascade mountains in the company truck and all was clear, just rain. Got down to 100 feet above sea level, in Redmond WA and that when it hit, white out. 1 hour to drive the 10 miles just to get on the Burgman and plow a furrel out of the telephone exchange. Another 20 minuets to go 5 blocks to get on the freeway. It was about 1 1/2 inch of slushy snow till about Bellevue Wa then just rain (and 70 MPH) for the next 30 miles. Me thinks me takes the wife's cage in the morn.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
65 degrees at 9:30am and 6 of the motorcycles stored at our facility have left the property. 2 on trailers and 4 were ridden off for the weekend. That is 6 bikes that are not have not been rode in a while getting back out there on the road.
Like I said this weekend is going to be full of rusty less skilled riders out so be careful and extra observant!
I am scheduled for a PGR mission Saturday and to ride and fish all day Sunday! :D

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
ah who needs the south 50 degrees in Ontario Canada and sunny :thumbup:

even smells like spring -despite wandering the roads for 30 years + I STILL found a couple new ones that will represent some fun riding in the dry. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
MacDoc said:
Even warmer today .... that's 60 degrees
As I recall, that's like mid-May... Glad you had the chance to enjoy it. :cheers:

We had near-record temps down here as well (close to 80F on Sunday), which gave me a chance to do my first serious trip since I got Chessie. Two days and a bit over 600 miles, mostly straights and sweepers through the Upcountry and Midlands of South Carolina. The Burgie is everything I had hoped it would be - smooth, quiet, economical - and my back didn't hurt the next day!

A couple of small tweaks to the ergos, and we should be ready for some serious riding this summer :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts